• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Floating back button possible in Muse 2018?

Engaged ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been putting together a new portfolio. Tried the My Portfolio associated with my CC account, and to say it's clumsy is a massive understatement. So I went back to Muse and put the whole thing together in a day.

One issue I can't seem to find, if it exists. The portfolio is for Pixel Greatness. The lead and owner is Cynthia Henseler. Her work sample page was created in My Portfolio. This site builder automatically makes every single image a self-click display. Such as this page:

https://cynthiahenseler.myportfolio.com/cox-business-solutions

Clicking on any image puts this button floating close, or back button at the top right.

Screen Shot.png

Clicking on that takes you directly back to the page the image is on. That's what I want to duplicate in Muse, if possible. I can of course assign any image as a link to the full size image and it displays pretty much the same way, but the only way back out is to use the browser's back button or the keystroke. Sample of my portfolio page:

http://jklstudios.com/portfolio/2018cover.html

The right image is clickable to zoom in, but then you're "stuck" there without a floating close button.

Not a huge deal, but I'd like to try and match how Cyndy's page responds as much as possible without having to resort to using My Portfolio.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You´ll need to use the slideshow widget to set up as a lightbox. You are able to put the close button wherever you want, as long as the user finds it on the screen - means: inside the canvas.

Does this help?

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Uwe,

Close, but no cookie. I can get an image onto the page using the Lightbox widget, but clicking on it does not produce a 1:1 floating image. At least, I can't see how to get it to display that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is a 1:1 floating image? The image itself gets as big as you export it and how you setup your lightbox-slideshow-frame. You are able to resize that frame for each breakpoint.

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1:1  -  The floating Lightbox image displays at the exported image's full size. I cannot for the life of me get it to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your image is the size you need? If so, and still no solution, create a onepage.muse with one or two images inside your lightbox together with that two images seperately, put it all in one folder, you may zip it or not and share it via CC with a link or dropbox or wetransfer, so we can have a look.

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for taking the time to look into this. I've been trying all kinds of things to try and figure it out, but the linked file is the closest I could come.

http://jklstudios.com/misc/LightboxTest.zip 

Simple, two page Muse doc. Left page is what I have all of the site doing right now. Clicking on the image displays it to fit the browser, and the user gets a magnifying glass cursor to go in/out, but no close button. You have to use the browser's Back function.

The right page was the best I could figure out. Clicking the image brings up a lightbox display with a close button, but no way to zoom in Max Detail (to use a Photoshop term) and back out, as Cyndy's site does via My Portfolio's automatically generated lightbox code. It's a fixed size.

Is there a way to get Muse to behave like My Portfolio?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without having watched the .muse, an image with 388 × 293 will never be shown fullscreen.

and I hope the big one is not used. Means - I have to watch the muse later as I am on my way to photograph some images. If you are able to keep on: start with the biggest breakpoint and resize your lightbox as you want it to be shown inside the canvas, watch for the frame, containing the image  - setup the image in that size of that frame in the largest breakpoint, …

See you later

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfotunately lightbox slideshows are not fluidly responsive sp you could not just create a slideshow-lightbox for one breakpoint - instead you must add some breakpoints in order to have the appearance you wish your users to see.

There´s just one way to do this - watch my .muse - it´s the almost the same name but different files in it. There might be some other ways of course. I don`t want to do your design - just to show, what´s possible

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/996b7509-eb4f-481a-6012-1533bd670b78

As muse is a free form app you can but also "must" decide for each elements where and in which size you want it to be placed. For example the close button - was always a little tricky to put it - and the next and prev buttons as well.

As it seems to be just in the beginning of this project and not knowing if this is the only one you will ever do, I highly recommend to move either to Portfolio as Nancy already mentioned or if you want to do more projects with webdesign change to sparkleapp (mac only) or nicepage - both are freeform webdesign apps, …

Hope that helps,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

I do appreciate the effort. That was about the best I could do, too (per my uploaded sample). It apparently just can't be done.

Yes, the high res images are deliberate and necessary. And those on the completed portfolio page I linked to above aren't even full size. The target group we're going for are advertising agencies. And one thing they really want to see is your retouching abilities close up. Not just tiny web images.

Per my response to Nancy, Muse is gettting kicked to the curb and replaced with EverWeb or Pinegrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you like to stay with subscriptions, well … I cannot recommend it - also from the features as well. They still use adaptive websites? Seems like iWeb as you wrote. Much like from 2000?

Just kidding - stay safe, … 🙂

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My unsolicited opinion is this:

1. Adobe Portfolio produces a better product with a longer shelf life.  And the Photo Grid and Lightbox viewer are built-in  so there's nothing to think about. Based on what you've shown us so far and with the right Theme, you would be better off using Portfolio.  https://help.myportfolio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360035995733-Themes-features

2. Muse is discontinued, unsupported and never updated.  Some Muse sites & widgets are already failing.  Use Muse at your own risk.

Good luck!

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy,

1. Better only in that it does the one thing I'm asking about. But, it's also incredibly limited and clunky to use. That, and I have no plan to ever (if possible) have my projects locked to someone else's server where you can't even back up your own site code. As far I've been able to find, you can't purchase just a My Portolio subscrption, so if I were to end my CC account next year, there goes my site along with it and I have to rebuild it from scratch somewhere else. Same with Squarespace, WebFlow, Wix, Duda and many others. I simply won't do it.

2. Yes, aware of that. I'm going to have to move on, like it or not. But that's in the works as we speak. After spending the past couple of days finding web design apps you use on your local computer, EverWeb and Pinegrow are the two I'm deciding between. Each can be purchased once and all final HTML code is generated to your own computer, ready to be uploaded to any hosting site you want. Just like Muse.

I've spent all of 30 minutes playing with EverWeb, and its gallery function beats the absolute snot out of My Portfolio. Very responsive and the best gallery display I've seen. Automatically places zoom in/out, full screen in/out and close buttons pinned to the top left corner of the browser.

In short, bye-bye Muse, hello EverWeb or Pinegrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines