Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Google gives only the phone version in the search

New Here ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Our web pages are build with Muse. Suddenly Google search finds and offers only the phone version of the pages even for those who browse with tabletops. This problem has emerged after a year the site opened. We have not changed any basic set up of the site, we have only done basic updating of the content. Is there some way to get Google to find the web pages according the devise used?

Tuomo  Railo
www.glimsgloms.com

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess google simply finds websites. Not sure, if they differ between mobile and tablet versions in search results.

Did you do the website with responsive or adaptive feature?

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me it seems that you mixed it, right?

Maybe this causes your issue, which I don´t know if it is one.

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe!

Thank you for your answers.

I have difficulties to understand your answers as I am not a web designer but a choreographer. Things I do not understand - what are and what is the difference between responsive and adaptive feature? And what am I mixing - the features?

Tuomo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

simosmoi  schrieb

- what are and what is the difference between responsive and adaptive feature? And what am I mixing - the features?

Tuomo

Well, adaptive Design is detectable by the necessity of using www…/phone and www…/tablet.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-12-11 um 09.14.50.png

Mixed up: You used, maybe inadvertently, pinning for some elements, viewable when watching the phone site on desktop and the mobile menu pinned to the right (language and for tablet the responsive menu).

So maybe google gets curious about what to show in their results? Nobody will ever know.

It´s much more easy to have responsive design with some breakpoints, in your case it might be just the desktop width (1160? or some like that) one breakpoint at 960 and another one at 768. Even if it is more the idea of adding a breakpoint when the design "breaks" you should be pretty much done with that.

You can keep with fixed width breakpoints and will get the same results on screens as users see it right now.

Like this you only let google see one address and only this will be shown in the results finally.

Browsers detect by themselves which version to show and it will fit always. Sounds great, doesn`t it?

If you need some help, let us know.

BTW I don´t know, if it is too bad for users which result/which version it shows as long as it links to the correct version, I guess. I was not able to follow any link, as I didn´t search in google. My Finnish is pretty bad, although I like the style of Aki Kaurismäki .

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Uwe and Nancy!

I did a questionnaire with my friends in Facebook and all of them said the redirection to right version worked correct, even though the google search come up with the phone version. So the problem is marginal or it is somehow already been fixed. Thank you for your help both of you. And yes Uwe - Kaurismäki are quite special and beautiful in their style and humor!

Tuomo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just performed a Google search on my desktop browser and it does not show the mobile version.   See screenshot.

\

If you search Google with your phone, the mobile friendly site will get a  higher page ranking which is to be expected.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy!

The result of your search is the version for phones - puhelin in Finnish means phone. Did you try to open the page with your desktop?

Tuomo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines