Exit

Help with Muse please

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2019 Feb 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I am a web developer of some 25 years, and use daily dreamweaver

Now A new client has come tomme as his existing developer has stopped trading - they have passed over all files and.. looking at the source code its html output from muse.. annoying in each and every page has a style sheet, and instead of one page for tablet, mobile and computer, muse has generated 3 pages... so... editing it is a nightmare

So.. I either need to rebuild the site or would obtaining a copy of muse, this is assuming a few things an here is where i hope yo can help

1) does muse generate "muse files" and then output the html from them?so should I be trying to obtain these source files from the previous developer?

2) how do I go about getting a copy of muse given that its being discontinued?

As all I am doing is adding a privacy policy to the site and adding a cookie warning and making some seo tweaks It seems silly to rebuild a perfectly pretty website and in fairness the custome wouldnt have the budget to pay for a rebuild on his new website

So please any info or help or pointers would be welcome

Many thanks

Richard

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 no Muse saves the entire site as a .muse file... but it sounds like the site was exported as html so without that .muse file its worthless

2 if you have an Adobe cc subscription then you can use Muse but otherwise its not an option

most seo scripts don't work on Muse made sites because they assume single page design and it sounds like this site uses alt layouts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best way is, you get the original .muse file from the original developer/designer.

What the original designer did: created a so called adaptive design with muse instead of responsive design which is available since I don`t know when. At first only adaptive design was available as far as I know (I may be wrong, though).

If you cannot get the original muse file there´s only one way, rebuild/redesign from scratch with whatever app like you do, Dwor similar apps.

The source code that muse generates is readable by Dw as well, I guess. Coders in this forum say, that the code is bloated and ridiculous, so it might be a good idea to rebuild the site.

From my own experience I only know of pinegrow, that generates code from existing websites and is able to continue from that (Dw may be able to do the same, coders may be able to the same as well ). Having got that code it should be pretty easy to add a page for necessary cookie warnings and so on.

To get a copy of muse you´d need the full CC subscription and may find MUSE in the CC-panel in kind of "former apps".

Günter Heißenbüttel​ knows the correct wording, who I kindly invite to this thread as well .

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing to add, Uwe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for respnding

For my sins I am a coder so I can work on the html its just a slow  way if there is an easier - Im going to try and get the .muse files.

However I thin my version of deream weacher / adobe creative suite is CS5 - havent really needed to upgrade since

So a Creative Cloud subscription needed - Ill contact the client as at the end of the day I havent had the need to subscribe to date and past doing this site I dont see any more ongoing need for it so it might be uneconomic for me to actually take the job on

Thanks once again to you both

Kind Regards

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Dw is not able to grab the code from the website? If so, try "pinegrow.com" with its 7 days testing period and have a look at the code, add one page for whatever you need in Dw and it should be pretty much done. Of course the new client has to spend some money but either way, with or without you, the client has to move to someone to get some help. It could be your job or the job for someone else.

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe

The output code from muse is awkward... not in that its time consuming not that it cant be edited

Dreamweaver, expression, even frontpage will edit the html utput code BUT significantly instead of 1 or maybe 3 or 4 style sheets that make the site up MUSE outputs a page and a css for that page.. so editing a graphic thats common to all pages for instance in the header or footer means you edit each and every page and the css isnt held in common so you edit each and every css file too.. plus MUSE outputs not 1 page but 3for each.. 1 for tablets,1 for phones and one for computers so.. a 50 page site means

150 pages to edit and 150 css files to edit..

As we sell time it means longer to edit in anything BUT muse

The site is lovely - Yes I can replicate it BUT an hour addint a new page and editing the seo of the site in dreamweaver or expression in a site output from muse would run to a couple of days so.. a £50 job becomes an £600 job.. yet to rebuild it in dreamweaver its a £3k job as I would rewrite the css to a single file and make headers and footer in common and basically take a 400mb site to about 50 or 60mb

As you can see I am not a huge fan of the code it outputs - its not clean and tidy - and I also have a duty of care to my clients to not rip them off

So I am left with a bit of a quandry as to what to do.. sign up to adobe creative cloud.. download it and run it (I use a mac predominantly so assume my imac dual core4gb ram and running high sierra (havent upgraded past that) should be sufficient to run it

Anyway thanks for the input

Kind Regards

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Muse code is for browser consumption, not human consumption.  Script compatibility with Muse code is a big question mark.   You never know what to expect.

I would rebuild the site responsively with Bootstrap if only for my own sanity.  Using the same assets, a rebuild would probably take a couple of days.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweaver CC can download and add-to Muse code from a host server without busting the templates i.e, it still works in Muse... you can not edit muse code without muse and cs5 isn't going to allow the sync so I agree with Uwe that pinegrow is your best code option now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2019 Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you all./..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines