• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hiding .html from URL in Adobe Muse Website

New Here ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am wanting to remove the .html for cleaner URL's for SEO purposes, on a website I am nearly finished building in Muse and I know I can remove it in my htaccess file, however, I have now read doing this in Muse is a bad idea.

"Muse automatically generates canonical tags that point to the version of the URL with the .html extension. So if you remove the extension, the canonical tags will be pointing to the wrong page. Best case scenario, Google eventually just ignores your canonical tags. Worst case, Google doesn’t index your site."

Canonical tags basically tell Google where the original page is that should be credited for the content.

Every professional site I go to has no .html tag has this been flagged in Muse and what is the best way to get around this without loosing our Google search ranking?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

I haven't tried this myself, but this tutorial seems to have quite a few people. Try it out and let us know if it helped address your question.

Muse file and index.html file

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 19, 2019 Oct 19, 2019

How to remove file extensions with .htaccess or C-Panel

https://alexcican.com/post/how-to-remove-php-html-htm-extensions-with-htaccess/

How to remove file extensions with config.ini or Plesk Panel

https://www.godaddy.com/community/Plesk-Hosting/Plesk-Hosting-Remove-HTML-from-URL/m-p/13737#M136

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried this myself, but this tutorial seems to have quite a few people. Try it out and let us know if it helped address your question.

Muse file and index.html file

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Prepran, thanks for sharing this link but it seems to be no longer available. Any further hints on that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2019 Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How to remove file extensions with .htaccess or C-Panel

https://alexcican.com/post/how-to-remove-php-html-htm-extensions-with-htaccess/

How to remove file extensions with config.ini or Plesk Panel

https://www.godaddy.com/community/Plesk-Hosting/Plesk-Hosting-Remove-HTML-from-URL/m-p/13737#M136

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get this too work? I still have not found a way to do it. I tried out placing code in the .htaccess file, different versions of the code and nothing works. Any idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the same situation!! Followed the above Youtube video and added the code to me htaccess file but my page still isnt loading without the .html???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines