Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hosting temporary Muse sites

Explorer ,
May 26, 2018 May 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I've just finished building another site using Muse and went to publish it as one of my temporary BC sites, but it didnt allow me. I got the usual 'Publish To Business Catalyst' dialogue box, but the first message read 'Business Catalyst hosting is not longer supported.  I was however able to use a previous temporary site I had hosted on BC to host this site though, so I'm currently using that, i.e. I'm hosting the newly built site under the name of an old site I had temporarily hosted on BC.

Can someone please explain what is happening here and moving forward, what temporary hosting options do we have without the use of BC.

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 26, 2018 May 26, 2018

someone didn't read the memo

ref = https://businesscatalyst.com/#announcement-update

the end date for making new temp sites on Adobe BC IS 18th June

people that allowed Adobe Muse updates to 2018 buld have lost this option because the ui has been "fixed" to stop it... someone didn't get the memo that an extension had been given... opps

imo the best work around is to go back to a older build like 2017 and that still allows new temp sites... which you can then edit if you really need a 2018 Muse site,

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

someone didn't read the memo

ref = https://businesscatalyst.com/#announcement-update

the end date for making new temp sites on Adobe BC IS 18th June

people that allowed Adobe Muse updates to 2018 buld have lost this option because the ui has been "fixed" to stop it... someone didn't get the memo that an extension had been given... opps

imo the best work around is to go back to a older build like 2017 and that still allows new temp sites... which you can then edit if you really need a 2018 Muse site, sorry for the muck around guys

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this Ussnorway.

Just to clarify this, even if I go back to a previous 2017 Muse build, I still cant use temp sites after 18 June?  Is this correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• you can make a temp site on Adobe BC upto 18th June this year... after that you can't make any more
  • 27th August 2018 is the last day you can upgrade | launch that temp site... after that date all temp sites are removed from the sever and only upgraded or launched sites stay up
  • 26th MARCH 2021 = lights out... All data removed and the server turned off

note; that Adobe BC will assume all temp site will want an upgrade (paid) and have helpfully removed the launch option from their ui... the workaround for people with spare launch slots on their account is to log in to the temp site management screen i.e, the /admin + password then launch the temp site from there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome, thank you very much Ussnorway

Is there any other way to host muse sites temporarily that you know of?

My concern is being able to show clients sites before publishing them.  The only other way that I know of is exporting the site to html, zipping up the associated files, sending them to the client and asking them to open the index.html file with their web browser.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adamwoodleigh  wrote

Is there any other way to host muse sites temporarily that you know of?

you can build | rent a 3rd party host server then ftp your site from within Muse

adamwoodleigh  wrote

My concern is being able to show clients sites before publishing them.  The only other way that I know of is exporting the site to html, zipping up the associated files, sending them to the client and asking them to open the index.html file with their web browser.

basic html pages will work ok but widgets need their backend codes on the internet in order to work and that must goto a host server if you want this client to see how it really looks for normal browsers

you can make sub domains (on a launched | upgraded site) as a work around:

step 1, make a temp site in Muse 2017 and publish it

Screenshot (905).png

to keep this site it will need to be upgraded or launched before 27th Aug this year!

step 2, make sub domains with that site for each client

Screenshot (917).png

Screenshot (918).png

pros = the example domains live within the main one... can be swapped out as needed without upsetting the main and you only pay for one site hosting this way

cons = all sub domains MUST have the same file system as the main i.e, Muse 2017.3 for main domain = 2017.3 for all subs... if you up[down]grade the main to a 2018 then all sub must also use that build

all traffic to subs comes off the main quoter but Adobe BC hosting it not capped like some cheap 3rd party options so this should not become an issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

p.s, need a stabble version of Muse?

Install Adobe Muse version 2017.0.4 and 2017.0.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2018 Jun 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i appreciate the comments from the various posters here, but tbh, this transition has been handled appallingly by adobe. It's hard to believe they can switch off core functionality like this at moments notice.

I can understand them wanting to close down products (after all, markets do change) and they have given a reasonable period of notice for the final switch off for Muse. But taking away the ability to create temporary sites is a pretty core part of muse, and to do so over a year before BC finally closes down is incredibly frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2018 Jun 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have my own commercial web hosting so I never used BC.  I just FTP to a TEST folder on my server.  But I can appraicate how having a perk that's been taken away might be a bitter pill to swallow.   

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines