• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I change the font in the hover state for a link?

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! I'm trying to change the font of the hover state. Let's say I have Helvetica as the text font and when the mouse hovers over the text I want the text to change to Impact. Then back to Helvetica when the mouse moves away from the word. Is there any way to make this happen? Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Beside any discussion about pseudo class selectors and if design is good with changing fonts on hover, simply try the state button widget out of the box.

Also a simple text box would do what you want. You may have a look to the top left menu item when you create a text box.

Here you can easily see the different states for normal-hover/rollover-active and click (/in my screenshot you see the "AK(c)TIVe" state

Bildschirmfoto 2018-11-13 um 08.37.54.png

Change it as you like. The size will not change I guess. But for that you could use the sta

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea if Muse has a means to style links since it does not really allow coding or direct CSS editing. But I will offer this piece of advice...

Never, ever, assign a hover effect that changes the size or box properties of a link (padding, border, font-family, font-weight, etc.). It is extremely bad practice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to agree with ALsp.  Changing link colors on hover is perfectly OK & expected.  But font styles are inherited from the paragraph, heading or navigation list  in which your hyperlinks appear.   Changing fonts on hover would  not only look very strange but it might pull things apart.   I don't recommend it.

The CSS pseuco-class selectors for hyperlinks are as follows.  If you wish, you can add these to your custom <head> tag.  Adjust colors as desired.

<style>

a {text-decoration:none;}      /**all links**/

a:link {color:teal}                 /**unvisted links**/

a:visited {color:tan}             /**visited links**/

a:hover,                             /**on mouseover, click and focus**/

a:active,

a:focus {

text-decoration:underline;

color:tomato

}

</style>

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beside any discussion about pseudo class selectors and if design is good with changing fonts on hover, simply try the state button widget out of the box.

Also a simple text box would do what you want. You may have a look to the top left menu item when you create a text box.

Here you can easily see the different states for normal-hover/rollover-active and click (/in my screenshot you see the "AK(c)TIVe" state

Bildschirmfoto 2018-11-13 um 08.37.54.png

Change it as you like. The size will not change I guess. But for that you could use the state button widget.

That one is also nice, if you want to change the place of the rollover.

Watch this and download it if you like:

Homepage

Don`t mind the address, thanks to EOL of BC I have to use an old address.

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, I meant to add to that post, but Adobe's forum is severely misbehaving for me this morning.

So, are these "text boxes" absolutely positioned elements. Is that why you would attempt to help someone to change font-size on the hover state?

And to the original poster, Impact is not universally supported by all browsers on all operating systems. If you truly want to change fonts, you should pick a web font (Google Fonts perhaps) and serve that font yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALsp  schrieb

So, are these "text boxes" absolutely positioned elements. Is that why you would attempt to help someone to change font-size on the hover state?

The textbox is simply a text box. As a designer, I have no clue about "absolutely positioned" or whatever that means.

Muse is just a freeform web design tool and the textbook can be placed and treated like any other textbox.

I am not sure, if the OP wants to change text size, first of all the OP wants to change font itself. text size is adjustable as well

in the "normal" text box. If it´s for design reasons, why not change it?

ALsp  schrieb

And to the original poster, Impact is not universally supported by all browsers on all operating systems. If you truly want to change fonts, you should pick a web font (Google Fonts perhaps) and serve that font yourself.

I have to agree with you: IMPACT is not useful at all, as it is a system font and therefor will not be treated as a font but as an image.

DON´t DO IT, I recommend, too (like ALsp).

Double the hint: use a google font which fulfills your font dreams.

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The textbox is simply a text box. As a designer, I have no clue about "absolutely positioned" or whatever that means.

Muse is just a freeform web design tool and the textbook can be placed and treated like any other textbox.

I am not sure, if the OP wants to change text size, first of all the OP wants to change font itself. text size is adjustable as well in the "normal" text box. If it´s for design reasons, why not change it?

And therein lay the problem with Muse. Designer and coder are not mutually exclusive. Just like most people do not know how to use a word processor or page layout program efficiently, most people do not know how to make a web page efficiently. It's Adobe's fault, of course, for how it built Muse. Sure, they could have fixed it instead of killing it, but many of the examples of Muse-created sites I've seen are poster children for how to ignore best practices. Say what you will, but if one does not understand code (HTML and CSS are ridiculously simple to master) then they really should be hiring someone that does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you really saying, if someone doesn‘t want to code, he shouldn‘t make websites, but hire an expert? This is more than ridiculous!

No need to react on my post, ALsp! I won‘t answer, because I prefer to spend my time in assisting Muse users to solve their problems, instead of discussing such weird statements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The truth hurts, sometimes

The only reason I'm bothering to answer you is because you clearly did not understand my post. Worse, you are putting words in my mouth. Not nice.

Now follow along carefully...

What I'm saying is that coding is child's play, and the same people that abuse word-processors and page-layout applications are the same ones who refuse to learn the fundamentals of HTML and CSS.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo….

I am not talking about someone who does not want to code. They're easy to understand and they know to seek help. What I am talking about is someone who refuses to learn how to code, either because they do not understand how easy it is, or because they fear code, or perhaps because they might have a mild learning disability. And I'm talking about so-called experts who continue to enable them, and enable companies like Adobe to continue making silly tools like Muse.

Go it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Far from what raquelt54206716was asking, this thread goes in a wrong way, I guess.

Why don`t you answer my "question" :

ALsp  schrieb

… and tell us non coders about "absolutely positioned elements"?

Anything else added does not help in this case. If you have questions about muse, ask us, and we´re glad to help .

It doesn`t help us always getting back to the "coding skill is so necessary and without code you´re lost in translation-stuff", if you know what I mean .

And like Nancy, to write something like : The CSS pseudo-class selectors for hyperlinks are as follows … (really?)

does not help either at all. Non Musers can help with hints like: don`t use a system font … . I don`t recommend and so forth.

Believe me, we Musers all know, we are lost without learning code, but thank god, there are so many other tools out there now, thanks to Muses EOL, so we try not to care too much .

This thread is corrupted enough, I guess – Roger-Roger - Over-Over

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Move on, Uwe​! The issue is fixed with Muse’s „out of the box“ tools, and that is, what counts. No coding required!

Let the coders stick to their hobby for the next 3, 4 years.! . Hope, they avoid answering questions in a non-coder-forum, especially, as long as they have no clue about Muse. (I bet, they never created a single web site with this tool.)

Coding is a moribund species. It will take the same direction, as we could observe in print design. Or does someone think, the (coding related) handling of photo-setting still is a viable alternative to Desktop Publishing?

Photo-setting.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry

Like the machine, though .

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/G%C3%BCnter+Hei%C3%9Fenb%C3%BCttel  wrote

(I bet, they never created a single web site with this tool.)

Good heaven's, no.  I beta tested Muse and took one look at the code and knew it wasn't something I would ever put my name on.   The code is bloated, inefficient and slow, slow, slow to load.   Apart from that, it's an OK prototyping tool.  But then so is InDesign or Photoshop.  And  I don't use those to generate websites either. 

Let the coders stick to their hobby for the next 3, 4 years.!  Coding is a moribund species.

It takes coders to make the apps that non-coders  use .   

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!! This works great and is exactly what I was looking for. I understand it's not necessarily the best practice to be changing the font on a link but I'm doing it for an "artsy" page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

“It takes coders to make apps that non-coders use“. Definitely and absolutely correct. But this wasn’t the subject, ALsp was talking about. He was clearly talking about end users, who should hire an expert, if they don‘t understand code.

Would be really glad, if the coders concentrate on making apps for non-coders, and don‘t try to patronize Muse users, how to build a web site. There are many roads to Rome, and — above all — different Romes out there in the wild.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would make an excellent politician

And, of course you, more than anyone know what Al Sparber was talking about, so there is probably no need for Al Sparber to clarify the issue. Again. But he will.

Coding is not always programming

Writing or understanding HTML markup is "coding". Writing or understanding CSS is "coding". But only the most ignorant of web design would call either programming.

It is this misunderstanding and misrepresentation of coding that gives it a bad name and frightens some people.

Adobe was wrong, horribly wrong, by attempting to shield Muse users from access to the code. If you can't understand why, then we have a serious problem here, but I'm sure you understand.

What Al Sparber was trying to impart, is that there is nothing wrong with a visual web page editor, as long as it does not bully everyone into using a single method to lay out a page. That Adobe is using everyone and anyone's code for this purpose is kind of sad, but I won't go there now. All they had to do was to make the code available for edit so that Muse could be used properly by people with an understanding -- even a beginner's understanding -- of markup and CSS.

Al was also trying to say that anyone who refuses to learn the fundamentals of markup and CSS (which is a grammar school level task) should not be a web designer for hire... and I'll defend that position to anyone who is foolish enough to challenge it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thread opener wants to solve an issue. It is solved. Without coding. That’s it.

"Al was also trying to say that anyone who refuses to learn the fundamentals of markup and CSS (which is a grammar school level task) should not be a web designer for hire."

Perhaps you really „tried“ to say this, but what you actually said, is this:

"Say what you will, but if one does not understand code […] then they really should be hiring someone that does.“

As far as I can see, the thread opener didn’t state, that he/she is a „web designer for hire“.

But let’s stop this useless conversation. Someone, who uses Muse, has his reasons to do so. This is a forum for exactly these people. If you want them to learn code, why not opening a new thread about this subject?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
But let’s stop this useless conversation. Someone, who uses Muse, has his reasons to do so. This is a forum for exactly these people. If you want them to learn code, why not opening a new thread about this subject?

There is a reason Muse was EOL'd. I don't want people to learn code. What I want to do is educate Muse users, who will soon be without Muse, that they will no longer have a crutch or a choice. You don't have to have advanced coding skills. But you do have to have an understanding, at the fundamental level, of basic markup formatting and basic CSS syntax. As I've said, ad nauseum, this is stuff an average child can understand. So I'm quite amazed that you do not understand the point. Perhaps this is why Muse was doomed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines