• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How Do I Design This "Simple" Site...???

Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello again...

Purchased the app for 1 month, to try out.  I am attempting to design a site for my local area of NA [from scratch...now in Muse...one that had previously been designed in Macromedia DW 2004...whereby all the child divs were of 'absolute' positioning; & resided inside a parent div set to margin: 0 auto...so everything was centered on the page (over a background image)]...but absolute positioning is horrible for responsive code construction; & I want our new site to be up to protocol for browser resize & smaller devices.

So...given the conspicuous lack of templates in Muse...I worked up a rough sample of what the site looks like...(it's very simple, so this should be easy, right?):

BurlCoNA.png

My questions are:
1) I heard/read somewhere that there is a SKETCH functionality in Muse...if this is true...can I use it to sketch out the above; & then build the site from there?

2) Can I simply just use the Rectangle Frame tool for the parent div & the Rectangle Tool for the child divs?

2) If not one of those two...how would I go about designing this simple site in Muse on my own...???...keeping in mind that all that you see above is always centered on the page (w/ a background image behind it)...& the page has to be responsive, whereby all you see is distributed/flows correctly for browser resize & smaller devices.

3) Please don't send me to such-and-such tutorial or such-and-such code learning online seminar...I just want to do this on my own, so as to learn the basics of Muse along the way...(& if it turns out I'm too stupid for this task...if someone could put together a starter code page, where I could then place my own blocks/images/text...I would be happy to pay you, in kind...I just need to get this done; & my local area is waiting).

thanx,

mark4man

(p.s., that top block is not a header or paragraph or anything, it's just a rectangular space filled w/ the color gray)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

If it matters, Adobe has announced the Muse EOL which means there is little future for this product beyond today.   Tech support will extend to March 2020 but Muse will not be updated.  So it is what it is.

Adobe Muse EOL announcement - Alternatives to Adobe Muse?

If you're serious about creating websites, I highly recommend using native web technologies or at least find another drag & drop app you can use to reach your goals while your commit to learning  HTML, CSS and JavaScript coding. 

W3Schools Online Web Tutorials

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(sorry about the mux-up on the question #'s...this forum doesn't permit editing)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it matters, Adobe has announced the Muse EOL which means there is little future for this product beyond today.   Tech support will extend to March 2020 but Muse will not be updated.  So it is what it is.

Adobe Muse EOL announcement - Alternatives to Adobe Muse?

If you're serious about creating websites, I highly recommend using native web technologies or at least find another drag & drop app you can use to reach your goals while your commit to learning  HTML, CSS and JavaScript coding. 

W3Schools Online Web Tutorials

I would be happy to show you how to create a responsive site based on your prototype in Dreamweaver.  Let me know if you're interested.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy OShea...

Thanx!.

Yes...I am (interested)

mark4man

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

markf26988182  wrote

Nancy OShea...

Thanx!.

Yes...I am (interested)

mark4man

OK, this is a responsive layout I whipped up in Dreamweaver using Bootstrap 4.   I had to take a few design liberties to keep it responsive in all devices.    View source in your browser to see the code.

Bootstrap 4 Starter Page

NOTE:  The navbar sticks to top in all browsers except IE11 :-((

Bootstrap 4 Tutorial

Design responsive websites using Bootstrap in Dreamweaver

Building Responsive Design in Dreamweaver CC, with Paul Trani - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2018 May 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy...

Fantastic...!!!...thanx a billion.

OK...this is what I have thus far (worked this up in Pinegrow...kinda disgusted w/ Muse at the moment):

Burlington County Area of NA / Home page

So...a few basic questions:
1) The semi-transparent rectangle around the oval logo image...is there a way to bring the base up (reducing it's depth from the bottom, or overall) so as to look more like my example; & still retain the depth of the logo image (whereby it's depth would extend beyond, deeper than the rectangle)?  [kinda like the old layer concept was set up...overlapping elements & the like.  That logo could even extend down into the navbar (without interrupting the content, that is)]

2) Is there a way to move everything closer to the top of the page (slightly)?

3) The 3 columns...is there a way to move them up (more toward the top) slightly?

4) Speaking of the 3 columns...how do I change the overall maximum width (which I'm assuming is the main container) & the individual widths of each column (div columns sm-7, sm-6 & md-12)

Thanx again; & thanx for taking the time to work that template up...very much appreciated...this places me way down the road toward completion...much further (& with a much more beautiful design) than prior.

mark4man

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you go down the perdition path of absolutely positioning a logo as you have in your mock-up, it creates problems for users & designers alike. 

1) Positioning removes your element from the normal document flow such that it has no relationship with other content on the page.    This is fine for rare situations like modal windows but it's not a good practice in primary or responsive layouts where the layout is changing to the user's device width.  

2) Because the navbar sticks to the top, an oversized logo is going to get in the way.    Most designers put a small logo inside the Navbar-Brand which is what it was intended for.   See screenshots.

I invite you to look at other responsive websites to see how they deal with logos on all devices.  In most cases, keeping it simple is the best course of action.

Incidentally, a 1200px GIF is way too large.  You need to resize and optimize for the web first in Photoshop.  For photos, JPGs give better image quality than GIFs.   For vector graphic logos, export to SVG. 

For all other questions, look at CSS margins and padding. 

CSS Margin

CSS Padding

Also review the Bootstrap 12-box grid system.

https://getbootstrap.com/docs/4.0/layout/grid/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

(never mind on #3...figured that out myself)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) There is Comp and that is what I think you are looking for

demo (about an hour in) from Max showing Comp CC with Muse https://images-tv.adobe.com/avp/vr/f9a22e0b-df84-4fab-95fd-82db9072a993/8899f4b9-f47f-4929-b75e-2637...

2) Yes... its not a great way to make a true responsive site but you could

2) I would have designed it like this Create a responsive website |

3) Muse is dead and this design of yours will be hard to make in Muse (responsive) so I would use pinegrow but there are dozens of other platfroms... even Dreamweaver can make it so use the software that works best for you mate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines