A previous employee built the current website for my work. I am the new employee.
She has taken the files that she used to build the website through muse but the website is still running. When I open muse there are no recent files that I can access for this website.
How do I unpublish the website so I can start over? Any help to get me through this is greatly appreciated. I am not familiar with muse.
1) Well, you hopefully know, that Muse is under EOL and has not been developed any further since 2018.
2) There is/was no way to rebuild a site, done in Muse from just the published websites, neither Muse does and most others neither as well - only few apps are available to do this - Pinegrow imports the complete site with everything and lets you create more if you want and need although this is not recommended - with Pinegrow one might be able to edit some content, any more sitecreation and adding pages within it - out of the muse-site - is not really the good way.
3) Since the version 3.0 also sparkleapp is able to download a website (better: the content) and let you work with it but with some limitations though. Not all effects and maybe links and stuff is competely and workable to be donwloaded as a fully working website - you may or better must do some work to publish it.
4) Step 1 for you: look for the ftp- server/the hosting company and take care of timing, when to download or delete the website in case it is all wrong - these credentials are necessary for you anyway so keep track of this.
5) What is your purpose - keep on with the existing website (rebuild-do you own a full CC-subscription plan?)? Build a new one? Are you a webdesigner? What about your skills? What else do you need? Which OS are you working in future? PC or Mac?
6) Good Luck
Your firm has an existing website. Don't you think you should keep it up while you create a new site to replace it? Otherwise, people will land on your domain name and see an error page. That is NOT a good first impression of your company. So do NOT delete files from your server UNTIL you have a new site with which to replace it.
-- Adobe Brackets (open source) - http://brackets.io/
-- Adobe Dreamweaver CC - https://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver.html
-- Pinegrow - https://pinegrow.com/
-- Visual Studio Code (open source) - https://code.visualstudio.com/
Post back if you have more questions.
DO NOT use Muse.
Muse is a discontinued site generator. It cannot edit native HTML files. And it should NOT be used to create new projects.
Use another web authoring solution besides Muse.