• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I remove .html from the url

New Here ,
Jul 03, 2012 Jul 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is is possible to remove the .html from a url? 

Instead of www.mydomain.com/help.html it would be www.mydomain.com/help

One answer I found was to edit the .htaccess file but I can't find that file anywhere in the files loaded to business catalyst. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 29, 2014 Jan 29, 2014

I strongly recommend living with the .html file extensions and posting a feature request in the Ideas forum.

Active state is dependent on the link associated with the item matching the link for the current page. Unless you're going to hand edit the Muse output everytime you update your site to remove the .html from the internal links within the pages, you're going to encounter problems like this one. I suspect this change would probably also create problems for the In-Browser Editing feature (whe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Jul 05, 2012 Jul 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi djfranz01,

Muse will export the files with the extension but since you published your site on BC there is a workaround to get rid of .html extension. This, however requires you to manually edit the name of each file in admin console from BC (i.e. domain.com/admin). After you login click on Site Manager > Pages (in case you don't see the option click on the top right corner under your name > My Details > "Enable online content editing (incompatible with Muse)" check the box, input password and save) then on each page, click to open and above the WYSIWYG edit you have the "edit" button next to the page link. Click on that and remove .html (click to open an example screenshot).

Once that's removed the page will display without any extension (screenshot).

The good part is that Muse will retain the name and don't change it back to .html next time you choose to publish.

Another thing you should keep in mind is that once you change the page name from "page.html" to "page" you should also update any reference pointing to "page.html".

One last thought, unless you are confortable with changing the code by hand you should leave the files as they are exported (i.e. with the .html extension).

Cheers,

Cristian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2012 Jul 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2012 Jul 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cristian,

When you say:

"Another thing you should keep in mind is that once you change the page name from "page.html" to "page" you should also update any reference pointing to "page.html".

One last thought, unless you are confortable with changing the code by hand you should leave the files as they are exported (i.e. with the .html extension)."

Can "updating the reference point to 'page' not page.html " be done within Muse?  If not, would you be able to do this in dreamweaver?

Thanks,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2012 Jul 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

I found that you have to type in the url in the hyperlink creation box, not use the page in the pulldown menu.  Any menus you created useing the widget have to be set to manual so that you can type in the hyperlink.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2012 Aug 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to do this inside of dreamweaver instead of going to every page in BC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2013 Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an idea if you didn't want to go through the process Cristian described. If you were only concerned with a customer or client typing www.yoursite.com/contact and having it go to your contact page then try this out. Set up url redirects for each of the urls youd like to have shortened. For example if a customer typed www.yoursite.com/contact it would push them to www.yoursite.com/contact.html. This fix won't hide the html tag from the user but will gaurantee that if they type the shortened url it will go to your site and not an error page. Anyways just an idea. Hope it helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2013 Mar 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the process for setting up the redirect within Business Catalyst?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 20, 2013 Mar 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

Please read this KB article from BC, it explains the methods available to create the redirects.

Regards,

Cristian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2013 Apr 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cristian

I'm trying this link you posted to change my pages to not have to have the .html extension. But the link you put (March 20, 2013) just brings me back to this same post again. Would you be able to redo the link please? Thank you. I really would like if someone types in the www.url.co.nz/contact that they reach my contact page. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 24, 2013 Apr 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vivi,

A PM was sent to you, and the link is now fixed.

Thanks & regards,

Cristian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2013 Oct 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to do this if you are not publishing using BC?  We publish our website on our own servers.

Thanks!

Rachel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2013 Nov 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Christian,

I am really confused - I did what you say to do and I lost all my pages and got an error message and didn't know whether or not to merge the changes in muse. I managed to put the html back and restore my pages but I dont really want it.

Thanks,

Vince.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2014 Jan 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cristian,

I followed exactly what you said and it worked perfectly! Problem is, my active states no longer work. Every other state that I've applied to my menu works except for active. Do you or anyone else have any ideas as to what is causing this?

Lauren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 29, 2014 Jan 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I strongly recommend living with the .html file extensions and posting a feature request in the Ideas forum.

Active state is dependent on the link associated with the item matching the link for the current page. Unless you're going to hand edit the Muse output everytime you update your site to remove the .html from the internal links within the pages, you're going to encounter problems like this one. I suspect this change would probably also create problems for the In-Browser Editing feature (when attempting to synchronize changes back into your .muse site file).

Cristian probably shouldn't have pointed out this method for attempting to remove the .html extensions, but he did include a couple warnings. And the option that has to be enabled in BC explicitly states it's "incompatible with Muse".

"...Another thing you should keep in mind is that once you change the page name from "page.html" to "page" you should also update any reference pointing to "page.html".

One last thought, unless you are confortable with changing the code by hand you should leave the files as they are exported (i.e. with the .html extension)."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2015 Jan 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am making a redesign of o site that does not use .html. What is your solution for Muse export in order not to lose SEO positions of the urls? I am concerned about losing my years` worth work in SEO. I hope Muse can help with this, otherwise I will have to look for a different solution on redesign - that would be sad, for Muse is so user friendly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2015 Jan 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for this!

I've spent hours messing around with and uploading .htaccess files.

but that was such a simple fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2016 Apr 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2016 Oct 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm trying to set up redirects because my client does not want to send people to hissite.com/podcast.html. He wants to send them to hissite.com/podcast. (And I don't blame him. That .html is clunky, but we've decided we'll live with it in the url, but people need to be able to access his site easily) So I set up the redirects according to these instructions: Create page redirects

But when I test the new link after updating it sends me to a "Page not Found." What have those who had success with this do differently?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines