Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do i setup ftp in google cloud for publishing from adobe muse

Participant ,
Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

google cloud doesnt appear to support plain old ftp. It uses sftp.

I am having trouble trying to figure out how exactly i publish an adobe muse website to a google cloud server using built in publishing?

I also need to be able to enable "in browser editing" for adobe muse websites (hence i need this site published using muse own publishing functionality).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

just a quick update...i have found a solution in the internim that i have got almost working now. By setting up an Unbuntu 16.04 google cloud instance with a control panel (Vestacp), i have been able to open tcp port 21 and allow ftp traffic through it.

I then installed Proftpd (instead of vsftpd) and with some configuration tweaks I am now able to connection Adobe Muse with google cloud compute instances.

My last remaining issue is one i think i should be able to solve (the ftp user can copy file

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an update...

i realise that google cloud uses sftp and not ftp.

I have setup sftp://myipaddress  bitnami (user) and my google cloud bitnami password using filezilla and am able to browse to the htpdocs directory no problem.

I cannot get Muse to connect using sftp using the same credentials that i am able to connect using filezilla.

I am at a loss as to why Muse continues to throw an "authentication failure" error? I am using the same username and password that filezilla is able to connect with!!!

Very very very frustrating!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I understand, Muse does not support TLS 1.2 whereas Filezilla does. This could probably be one of the reasons why you are unable to upload to Google cloud. I am hoping that someone here has a better answer than I do.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i get no reply from your server... ask google to check the settings for you (would assume a different root address is needed)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 02, 2017 Sep 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi acP,

sorry about the mistake, i didnt include my server ip address in first message...this forum just did that link itself and i didnt notice it.

When i run mxtollbox scan:myipaddress (for a port scan), port 21 is open. See image below of port scan and google cloud firewall settings.

google cloud port scan.png

and my netstat -l results below...

google cloud ssh netstart results.png

Should i simply disable the google cloud firewall (or i guess open everything up) and then control the firewall directly from the virtual machine O/S (Ubuntu 16)?

I am not sure if opening everything up on the google cloud vpc network will actually work any differently as i thought that its a google restriction that requires sftp or ssh tunnelling?

Has anyone had any success with Adobe Muse on Google Cloud? (or even amazon AWS as i believe it has similar restrictions for ftp)

If Adobe Muse doesnt support upload to google cloud...which has now been around for quite some time with the existing restrictions for ftp in place...

1. why hasnt adobe done anything to ensure compatibility with google cloud instances?

2. Does Amazon AWS have similar restricitons in place for their network? If so, how do Amazon users make this work on that network?

3. How do i get this working on Google Cloud Compute? ie, if question 1 above is a problem...what is the current workaround to allow this to work so that i can use the "in browser editing" functionality? (can i manually copy files up to server in a way that "WILL" allow in browser editing functionality?)

I realise that Muse uploads some php files...can i do the conversion manually myself as a workaround to get in browser editing to function?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 03, 2017 Sep 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case, to clarify: Do you use SFTP in the settings?

0d7ef87596.png

If yes and it does not work, then you have nothing else that can be configured in Muse. You just have to report the bug and expect it to be fixed in the next releases.

f61859baf7.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thanks for your reply...yes i did select sftp.

i have tried all sorts of things to get it working but all to no avail.

Question...

If using sftp, does the entry of a username and password still require the desktop pc (client) to input a private key?

If for example i use a different adobe application "dreamweaver" (which does work btw), i must also use the private key in openssh format. Muse doesnt seem to have this ability. AS you can see from images below...dreamweaver connects no problem.

see dreamweaver image showing successful connection (input of username and password + private ssh key in openssh format)

Google Cloud ssh connection in Dreamweaver.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just thought i would add an update...

Adobe Muse is incapable of using an ssh private key to perform a handshake with google cloud instance. My research thus far has found that when using sftp with Google Cloud, the following are all required

1. username

2. password

3. private ssh key

Essentially this means that the ability of Adobe Muse to publish via sftp to Google Cloud Instances using ftp/sftp appears to be currently non functional. This also means that "in browser editing" is also not going to work using the standard method of conversion and upload.

VERY VERY UNHAPPY considering that Google Cloud has been online for almost 5 years now...surely it does not take this long for Adobe Muse developers to add functionality to Muse that another of their apps (Dreamweaver) has clearly had for some time?

A huge huge let down.

I have submitted a bug/new addition report

If anyone has a workaround i would love to hear from you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would not be so upset at your place. First, try "in browser editing". I think you will come to the conclusion that the desire to get this opportunity is not worth the effort

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Uncle+Flamin  wrote

When i run mxtollbox scan:myipaddress (for a port scan), port 21 is open.

sftp uses port 22 mate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ussnorway,

yes i realise that sftp does use port 22. My mention of port 21 was probably something i should not have done. I mentioned that in the hope that someone else had encountered this restriction of port 21 on Google Cloud networks for normal ftp and had a workaround. It is a bit of a peripheral issue to this discussion about sftp functionality on Adobe Muse on port 22. I aplogise for adding this confusion about what i was trying to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pavel,

I am very appreciative of your help. My reason for wanting to do this is so that i can try "in browser editing" on one of my own servers. In looking at the in browser editing videos they appear to provide the exact functionality that i am after...ie a client has the ability to make minor changes to website content such as;

1. text and image changes and,

2. contact details

I do not wish that clients should be able to make structural changes to their whitelabel websites. Would this be something that "in browser editing" is capable of handling?

A question, and i am new to this so i dont really understand if my question is relevant, however, it appears that in order to use an ssh tunnel for an application, that application should be socks 5 compliant (apparently web browsers are thus it appears that for this reason they are the most often demonstrated application for illustrating tunnel connections)...is Adobe Muse socks 5 compliant?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. It can be a long time to play a game of question-answer, and you still do not get enough understanding. I recommend that you buy for a month or take a test period of some sort of simple hosting with a normal FTP and test the IBE with your site.

Adobe Muse socks 5 compliant?

I dont know. This is a question for the Muse team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 04, 2017 Sep 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pavel,

i am not sure what you mean by "buy for a month"? i have had full subscription to CC for 2 years and also I have already got hosting too...but it does not allow standard ftp (a lot of hosts now restrict standard ftp). Access using sftp to my hosting requires the use of the ssh private key on the client end along with username and password (i am not sure why i cannot input username and password without private key?)

EDIT....

I have worked out why username and password inputs are being rejected...the sshd_config file on my server was set to only use ssh keys by default. I had to enable password authentication. Now all i have to do is figure out why my username and password are being rejected as wrong (i have checked the user and reset password and its still not being accepted)

In any case, I am close to solving my problem now, i have the tunnel working i just need to figure out the link between my application (adobe muse) and putty. I am starting out trying to get this working with putty+filezilla so i can better understand the process. Perhaps then, i can sort out Muse.

As i said, doing this in dreamweaver is easy...i dont need to use putty at all with dreamweaver.

The advice i have so far is i need to use Socks5 proxy in the application connecting to putty. I dont see that option for muse...so perhaps another workaround is needed.

I appreciate your help, even just talking about these things on a forum with someone who knows more than i do helps an awful lot. Little hints and suggestions and third party observations often fill in some very important gaps in one own thinking...so thank you Pavel.

I will post back in these forums my solution (if/when i find one) so that others may also benefit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 04, 2017 Sep 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Uncle+Flamin  написал(а)

Hi Pavel,

i am not sure what you mean by "buy for a month"?

I meant any third-party hosting with a simple FTP, in order to just test the IBE (In Browser Editing)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah yes i see what you mean. I did that and with straight ftp i can connect to hosting...however, sftp does not work.

As a second pathway of checking, i setup a vestacp control panel on google cloud instance and voila Dreamweaver connects to it using sftp (username and password) first go.

This is 100% a bug in Adobe Muse. I have also found other forum posts complaining about it on this forum as recently as only a few days ago (i have also added my input to that thread as well).

See my dreamweaver results sftp into vestacp GCE instance below

Dreamweaver successfull connection input.png

Google Cloud Vestacp sftp Dreamweaver successful connection.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear you. I checked with the team and they are aware of the limitations of SFTP in Adobe Muse. They have logged a bug to be fixed in a future update. Meanwhile, continue using a FTP solution that works for you. Apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just a quick update...i have found a solution in the internim that i have got almost working now. By setting up an Unbuntu 16.04 google cloud instance with a control panel (Vestacp), i have been able to open tcp port 21 and allow ftp traffic through it.

I then installed Proftpd (instead of vsftpd) and with some configuration tweaks I am now able to connection Adobe Muse with google cloud compute instances.

My last remaining issue is one i think i should be able to solve (the ftp user can copy files to the public html directory, however they cannot copy folders at this point (error 550 i think it was). A bit of playing around with my /etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf file might be the solution here...otherwise it may be the user settings for the new user i created using Vestacp.

either way i should have this working fairly quickly tomorrow.

Cant wait for Adobe to sort out the sftp ssh issue. That will make things a whole lot easier.

I will put in a link explaining the full setup for this with google cloud once i have it sorted and then get time to type it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Uncle+Flamin  wrote

My last remaining issue is one i think i should be able to solve (the ftp user can copy files to the public html directory, however they cannot copy folders at this point (error 550 i think it was).

Muse has never been used to make | copy folders... your two options;

zip, 7z or any other software the folder into a compressed file

use Dreamweaver to add extra folders to your site then point to them in Muse using the full ip address name i.e, http://www.nibbit.net/iframes/part2-download-UR/Recording_20170317_1722.mht

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok so i have now almost completely resolved my issues in uploading from muse to webserver.

I am testing this with two different control panels on two servers

1. Vestacp

-access is functioning via ftp

-muse is uploading files to site and in browser editing is functional

2. ISPConfig

- i could not get plain ftp working

- explicit FTP over TLS is working for uploading files to server

-Muse in broswer editing returns an error

The username and password are invalid for your FTP server. Please check them and try again.

Server Message: 530 Login authentication failed

The above error is very strange. There is nothing wrong with my login credentials...they are the exact ones i used to publish the website in the first place. I can also use them inside filezilla to read/write to the website directory no problems.

What would cause this new problem considering i published the website using Muse in the first place?

Ah i think i have found my problem...after publishing a change to my website i read the following...

PHP is not configured correctly on your web server. Muse forms will not work correctly unless PHP is enabled on the web server. Contact your hosting provider or website administrator about how to enable PHP support.

I do have php enabled on the server...will just have to see what is not correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just need to ask...apparently php 7.1 no longer by default runs suphp...rather it now uses php-fpm or fastcgi.

Will adobe muse in browser editing function with php-fpm or fastcgi? (my ispconfig server is running php-fpm)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines