• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How Muse behave with a large website?

Participant ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always used Muse for small web sites. Landing pages or web sites with 5 or 6 pages with short texts and images.

Now I'm developing my own web site and for now it has 23 pages, around 800 different images and 53 css files.

I was wondering, how Muse behave with large websites? I mean with hundreds of pages, large texts and dozens of images. It goes well? Somebody here had such experience? Is it reliable?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Why don’t you bother about RAM? Your machine will administrate this, I think. Won’t it?

I never had a problem with this. My actually largest Muse file has around 230 MB and I am quite confident, that I can extend this site for some more years!

Speed issues in Muse are happening mostly on image heavy long pages, if you use the scrubber. But what would you expect in this case? Using the scrubber on one-pagers causes all elements to resize, reposition, and, and, and. This requires a little bit more

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some sites with around 20/30 pages, 900 – 1200 images and a lot of heavy PDF download files. The images are organized mostly in nested widgets. These sites don't break speed records (why should they?), but load quite fast. No problems so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what about the Muse application itself? I mean, I'm open a 98 mb file for my web site now and Muse is using 420 mb from my RAM.

I'm just thinking in long term, is that safe to invest in Muse for larger sites? I'm just afraid of editing this site becomes impossible in the future...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don’t you bother about RAM? Your machine will administrate this, I think. Won’t it?

I never had a problem with this. My actually largest Muse file has around 230 MB and I am quite confident, that I can extend this site for some more years!

Speed issues in Muse are happening mostly on image heavy long pages, if you use the scrubber. But what would you expect in this case? Using the scrubber on one-pagers causes all elements to resize, reposition, and, and, and. This requires a little bit more computation power than a static InDesign document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually my site is doing good and I have plenty of RAM to spend.

I'm just thinking in the long run. Even with a i7 and 16gb RAM I had to turn off the thumbnails, because looks like Muse is slowing down a bit, to open pages, to switch between breakpoints etc.

So I'm just asking of people who had experience with large sites with a lot of pages. That's all.

But thanks for sharing your experience

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My opinion is based on practice. All that is more than 30 pages should be done in the CMS. With the Muse, you will go to hell in all respects, both in terms of productivity, so in terms of administration. When you make a small change and wait for two hours until the site loads into hosting - I think you do not want that. Use the search on the forum - you will find a lot of sad stories on the topic of a large site. Muse is not suitable for large sites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can’t agree completely, Pavel Homeriki​!

In this moment I uploaded a Muse site with

• 1328 images • 32 downloadable PDFs • 26 pages • Muse file size: 206 MB • 100 MB data volume on hosting server

I changed a text element on the master page, added 2 images in a new slideshow nested into a newly created composition on a layout page – you see standard modifications „as usual".

The upload time was less than 2 minutes, and – believe me – I have a really slow internet connection (You know, Germany …)

Of course the upload time increases, when changing more items, but you said „…make a small change and wait for two hours …"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/G%C3%BCnter+Hei%C3%9Fenb%C3%BCttel wrote (a)

but you said „…make a small change and wait for two hours …"

Ok, I was not accurate. It all depends on what the change is. But, whatever changes you make in the CMS it takes exactly as long as the gif in the browser tab rotates. So 2 minutes is a lot.

If you have a static site that does not require daily administration, then 30 pages with the Muse is quite tolerable. But if you need to actively administer the site, Muse can not cope with this. You will spend an order of magnitude more time than with CMS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In this scenario I agree!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines