Highlighted

How to create a menu so that only the text is clickable?

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I want to create a horizontal menu where only the text itself would be clickable and would have hover effects and so on. Exactly like a hyperlink in a regular text paragraph works. Currently, Muse creates a rectangular hitbox when using it's menu widget and there seems to be no option to select "text only". Is there a solution using the menu widget or should I just resort to "manually" created text boxes?

Best regards,

Kristjan

...or should I just resort to "manually" created text boxes?

Exactly

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to create a menu so that only the text is clickable?

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I want to create a horizontal menu where only the text itself would be clickable and would have hover effects and so on. Exactly like a hyperlink in a regular text paragraph works. Currently, Muse creates a rectangular hitbox when using it's menu widget and there seems to be no option to select "text only". Is there a solution using the menu widget or should I just resort to "manually" created text boxes?

Best regards,

Kristjan

Exactly

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 16, 2017 0
May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kristjan,

The second option thought by you shall be the best and less complicated as compared to editing the widget.

You can still edit the standard menu widget according to your requirements.

However, for that, you need to select "manual" from menu type of the widget properties.

The box colors can be set as "none" in their different states.

Hope this answers your query.

Regards,

Ankush

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 16, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When selecting the text in the menu widget as shown in Your screenshot, Muse doesn't allow setting a link to that text - the hyperlink page selection drop-down menu is grayed out. I can't find a way how the widget would allow me to do it.

Capture.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 16, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Watch this file:  start

download if you like.

The secret: you have to click once inside the whole menu, click another time into menu and double click into item.

You can set the menu button to have no Background colour, and by double clicking the menu button make your settings as desired for your text in each different state.

You ay see in the top left menu, where you are and if there is a state available.

Does this make sense?

Uwe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 16, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, no.

Maybe I'm not being clear enough. In Your example the invisible hitbox (the area which is selectable with the mouse, cursor also changes) is still there.

It seems that currently the only option is to ditch the menu widget and try regular text boxes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 16, 2017 0
May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But even of you use text boxes, still the complete box is clickable and rects to mouse pointer.

You would have to use very narrow textboxes.

If it makes sense, to only respond to text and not the complete text box, this might be a question for coders or Pavel Homeriki​?

start

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 17, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The complete box wouldn't be clickable, only the text which is linked within it. If all the text within the box is linked and the box itself is very similar in size, then it does indeed appear so as you described.

Actually, if the text would be clickable pixel-by-pixel, so to speak, it could be bad because it could make the user miss the click by accidentally clicking in the hole of the letter "O", for example . So in that sense everything works as it should, currently, in terms of linked text in a text frame.

This leads to the thought that the menu item boxes are actually necessary but their sizing should just be a bit more flexible in Muse. The link hitbox sizes shouldn't be fixed by the overall size of the menu, they should be independently reisizeable.

Thank you for your input, it has made the topic clearer to me!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 17, 2017 0
May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be really a pity to hit the O inside and miss the button .

You could resize the menu as a complete element and decide wether to have the same size or the same distance:

Bildschirmfoto 2017-05-17 um 09.56.45.png

If you want to have pixelated text you must use text as a picture, recommended to convert it as/into a vector shape.

But, text is better for SEO.

Keep on

Uwe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 17, 2017 0
Guide ,
May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fotoroeder  написал(а)

But even of you use text boxes, still the complete box is clickable and rects to mouse pointer.

Hi . Try this:

64bf9219a3.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 17, 2017 1
May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know. Thanks Pavel Homeriki

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 17, 2017 0
Guide ,
May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 16, 2017 0