Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get a slide to bring up an accordion panel

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings-

I know the title might seem a little confusing, but this is basically what I want to do:

1.) Have a slideshow.  No thumbnails, just a < 1/20 > counter type thing.2.) Each slide has a caption
3.) However.. (here's the part I can't figure out)... each slide also has it's own text box.  The text is a long-form explanation of the artwork in the slide.  Because it's long, I'd like a "read more" option.

So basically, it'd look like this:

wframe.jpg

Is there any way to do this? I'd also like to avoid having a big giant white space at the bottom of the page when the "read more" isn't expanded. 

Thanks in advance everybody!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

This is doable – unfortunaltely with some restrictions. Look at this screencast:

The solution:

• Use a composition widget instead of a slide show widget, and configure it  like a slide show.
  • If you set your image containers to the same width and height as the composition target, the target will scale proportionally just like the image within.
  • Make the composition triggers very small and hide them behind the „Previous“/„Next“ buttons.
  • Now place an accordion into the target.
  • Unfortunately there is a restr

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don`t see an easy approach of what you want. I understand, what you want, though.

From my experience you could "create" a link to another text box elsewhere, unfortunately.

It´s just very difficult and not possible to put something else inside the captions field.

If there´s a way to do this, I only do know one man inside tis forum, called Günter Heißenbüttel​.

Let´s see, if we kindly invite him to pass by, what happens next .

Best Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is doable – unfortunaltely with some restrictions. Look at this screencast:

The solution:

• Use a composition widget instead of a slide show widget, and configure it  like a slide show.
  • If you set your image containers to the same width and height as the composition target, the target will scale proportionally just like the image within.
  • Make the composition triggers very small and hide them behind the „Previous“/„Next“ buttons.
  • Now place an accordion into the target.
  • Unfortunately there is a restriction, which prevents to mimic your intention completely: Turning the accordion and the text within upside down by 180 degrees would allow, to slide the accordion panel upwards. But this unfortunately causes the accordion to  leave its position, when the browser window is resized.

Here you find a sample .muse file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qy6u5k1n8b7k703/Slideshow-with-expanding-text.muse?dl=0

In addition to Uwe​: You can paste whatever you want into the caption box. You can place images, accordions, compositions into it by pasting them inline just as you would do with text. But the result won’t be the expected one. Especially an inline placed accordion won’t expand the caption box, but „bleed“ out of it. Just try!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gunter sounds like the MAN!

I'll definitely give this a whirl!  Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have one question -- is there any way to pin items to each other?http://ireallyshouldbewriting.com/pauletiennelincoln3/glover-s-repository.html

Here's what I mean:   on this page, the trigger changes both the image and it's caption.  Which is great - exactly what I want.

However, I am 100% perplexed as to positioning the caption.  I'm trying to make it responsive, but the caption seems to have a mind of it's own.    If the browser is wide enough, the caption is right where it should be, tucked under the image.

But once you shrink the browser, the caption goes waaaaaaay down, instead of responding to the now smaller image size.

Here it is: 

GLOVER'S REPOSITORY

Is there any way to pin the text box to the relative size of the image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don`t you use the build in caption box? This stays with either the slide show or the compositions target.

If you persist in using text box, group the composition and the text box.

Best Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2018 Feb 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

md95802659: Just download this new example .muse file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5rll76t2cv2g4uw/Slideshow-with-expanding-text.muse?dl=0

Here a short screencast:

I think, you have an issue with placing the text box and the control elements correctly:

• The text box isn’t allowed to overlap the image, has to be set to „Resize: Responsive Width“, and must be positioned within the composition target.
  • The control elements have to be placed outside the target, and aren’t allowed to overlap the target
  • Have a close look at „page 2“ of my linked .muse file.

I found a quite tricky way expand the info text upwards:

• (Ab)use a manual, vertikal menu. It is very tricky to set up. Just check „page 3“ of my sample file, select the individual menu parts an look into the „Transform“ panel. Be aware, that every small modification will cause the „sub menu“ to snap back to its original position.
  • This alternative doesn’t work completely „as expected", when scaling the browser window, but you may correct this easily by using breakpoints.

Goodie:

N­­­­ot the problem of this thread, but anyway a nice addition, based on the same workflow:

As a „spin off“, the technique, to (ab)use a manual menu, solves one more problem: It provides a simple way, to use popup windows within a text flow. Look at this screencast:

Here is a sample .muse file to show, how it is built: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s5r8x6vyksz01m5/menu-based-tooltip.muse?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I made it work!   What I wound up doing is using tooltip rather than using the accordion widget.

Unfortunately this means I had to position it at the top, because the image frame of the slideshow would push the trigger too far down the page when the browser window was shrunk.

But thank you everybody because you really helped!  Thank god for these forums!   (They should have a "thanks" button).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to fotoroeder : You can paste whatever you want into the caption box. You can place images, accordions, compositions into it by pasting them inline just as you would do with text. But the result won’t be the expected one. Especially an inline placed accordion won’t expand the caption box, but „bleed“ out of it. Just try!

I´ll sure give this a try. Sounds interesting to me.

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines