• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to hide the URL from corner of browser?

Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a (portfolio) page with a photograph. Over the photograph is a transparent rectangle containing a hyperlink so that when the user clicks the photograph the next page will load (showing the next image).

While the cursor is hovering over the hyperlink/photo/transparent rectangle a URL is displayed in the bottom left corner of the browser. How can I prevent this URL from showing, please? I'm sure you are familiar with the type of portfolio website that works this way. They generally do not show the URL as it doesn't look good.

Also, with the cursor over the hyperlinked area it changes from arrow to hand. How do I stop the cursor from changing, please?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

While the cursor is hovering over the hyperlink/photo/transparent rectangle a URL is displayed in the bottom left corner of the browser. How can I prevent this URL from showing, please? I'm sure you are familiar with the type of portfolio website that works this way. They generally do not show the URL as it doesn't look good.

To do this, you need to rewrite the menu logic, from simple html links, to javascript. You will have to hire a programmer who will need to make the widget a javascript menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are using Safari? Thi is a browser feature, which you can switch off or toggle by menu „View/Show Status Bar“.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I test using Firefox. This is not a browser issue, it's a web design issue. Take a look at this page, note that the cursor does not change when hovered over the image, and no URL is displayed in the corner of the browser. Yet, clicking on the image causes a page change to the next image: ZACH GOLD Each separate image has its own URL (its own page), which can be shown by looking at the address bar in the browser. That's how I would like my website to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To do this, you need to rewrite the menu logic, from simple html links, to javascript. You will have to hire a programmer who will need to make the widget a javascript menu.

Also, with the cursor over the hyperlinked area it changes from arrow to hand. How do I stop the cursor from changing, please?

You will need to write the link style for the hover pseudo-class and paste it into the head of your site.

<style>

a:hover {

cursor: auto;

}

</style>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Pavel. So, it looks like Muse cannot do as I wish with respect to the URL being hidden. This is disappointing. Is there any alternative to this?

Could you please talk me through the process for applying the cursor code you gave, please? I know where to enter the code (into the meta data in the Page Properties tab), and how to assign a graphics style to an element but I'm not sure exactly how to apply your solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it looks like Muse cannot do as I wish with respect to the URL being hidden. This is disappointing. Is there any alternative to this?

Only javascript code.

Could you please talk me through the process for applying the cursor code you gave, please? I know where to enter the code (into the meta data in the Page Properties tab), and how to assign a graphics style to an element but I'm not sure exactly how to apply your solution.

Do you want to apply this to individual elements on a page or to all elements on a page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If possible individual elements, specifically two separate transparent rectangles that contain hyperlinks. Should I assign each one a graphics style and then add the name of that style to your code before applying it in the Page Properties box?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes exactly.

3ab1a46e56.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, Pavel. Much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bottom right url display is not a design issue, but a browser feature! You can switch this off in Chrome as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but I can't expect people looking at my website to have disabled this browser feature. Pavel's javascript solution seems correct but is there a better way? I do not have any budget for hiring a programmer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same problem. Well have a look this website as example and you may have some idea how to hide link from your website https://xerxx.se/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I, in my browser, Safari, do not see any links in the browser window. I cannot reproduce this issue and think it is not that important, is it? Why does this disturb you or your users, you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines