• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to implement phone & tablet lay-out?

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2018 Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear everyone,

A while back I finished a site I was making for a friend of mine. I created a desktop, tablet and phone layout. But now I want the lay-out to be 'copied' into the desktop version so the site can be responsive. I hope that i'm making any sence, i'll add pictures of what i'm seeing. Schermafbeelding 2018-07-29 om 15.28.14.png

As you can see I have a desktop, tablet and mobile version of the website. The only thing is, the site isn't responsive now. So I want the tablet and mobile versions to be put in the desktop version of the website with different breakpoints so the site finally can be responsive. The thing is you can't just copy the elements from the different lay-outs over because then you will end up with double elements of different sizes. Does anyone for me has a solution for this? I've been trying to look for a fix for the past three days and i'm kind of losing my mind right now, so any help is highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Luca

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 29, 2018 Jul 29, 2018

There is no way to automatically create breakpoints, which „use“ the elements from adaptive sites.

As you are saying, even copying elements from an adaptive phone layout to an according breakpoint of a responsive layout won‘t work, because it doubles and triples the elements. The Muse team investigated ways for a simpler way to create breakpoints using existing layouts, but unfortunately Muse is „End Of Life“ now, and will will never see such a feature.

I‘d use the existing desktop layout as a bas

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way to automatically create breakpoints, which „use“ the elements from adaptive sites.

As you are saying, even copying elements from an adaptive phone layout to an according breakpoint of a responsive layout won‘t work, because it doubles and triples the elements. The Muse team investigated ways for a simpler way to create breakpoints using existing layouts, but unfortunately Muse is „End Of Life“ now, and will will never see such a feature.

I‘d use the existing desktop layout as a base and starting point for building a responsive layout by setting the elements to responsive. You will see, that it is quite easy to add breakpoints after having finished the widest layout. Don‘t make the mistake, to create all breakpoints before placing the elements. This will end up In much more work, because you have to (re)position the layout elements breakpoint-wise. If you create the breakpoints later, Muse will position most elements automatically. And, above all, adding breakpoints after finishing the largest layout, you can use the „scrubber“ (this grey handle top right to the breakpointbar) to exactly determine the position of the next breakpoint (breakpoints aren‘t device orientated, but layout orientated).

Hope, this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're willing to break free of Muse now and switch to a genuine code editor like Dreamweaver, you can make a fully responsive layout with Bootstrap.  For a working demo, see my reply #3 to another forum question below.

Re: Published Website Keeps Changing

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously we can‘t escape you, Nancy …

Would be a good advise, to learn something about Muse instead of trying to kidnap users to Dreamweaver. And it would be really helpful, at least to try understanding and answering the initial poster‘s question, which didn‘t aim at a Muse replacement, but at a solution of certain layout issues within Muse.

Can‘t you imagine, that there are people out there, who don‘t have any interest in learning to code?

But it seems, I am talking against walls, until not other users of this forum raise their voices …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did more than once Günter Heißenbüttel​.  But the two of us wouldn´t be enough, I guess. In case of Dreamweaver I even find it more ridiculous as no one knows when Dreamweaver will be EOL as well. But unless Luca will not mark your answer as corrrect we have to handle it.

Strange also Nancy OShea​, as you marked an answer from me, quoting a Muse-Themes statement, that Muse will probably stay alive for certain sites for 5 to 10 years.

I could understand/live with it much better, if you suggest blocs or pingrow or webflow or W/O to name just a few which kind of work like WYSIWYG.

But all of them are quite different from muse, testing period is quite short on most of them (except the ones that are free forever for limited purposes.).

I follow Günter Heißenbüttel​ advice – please stop promoting Dreamweaver here as long as no one asks for alternatives to muse and even then Dreamweaver will never be a serious alternative to muse. But all of this does, unfortunately not belong to the OPs question.

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Muse is EOL.  It still works but has no real future except as a prototyping tool.   If anyone here thinks re-arranging deck chairs on the S.S. Titanic  is a good long term solution, fine.  Keep using Muse.  

In the meantime, I will continue to post other web workflows for the 1% of Musers who understand as I do that this forum is not singularly about Muse anymore.  It's also about other web solutions & migration paths. 

There is no perfect substitute for Muse.  I get that.  I also realize DW doesn't sit well with everyone but I mention it because it's conveniently part of the Adobe family of products and is included in a full CC subscription.    Besides DW, there are many other web authoring tools that  allow you to build modern responsive sites with Bootstrap, Foundation, CSS Flexbox, WordPress and more...   Try them!

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do what you want, Nancy, but please respect, that many users are not looking for a coding alternative but for a solution within actual Muse. And please, don’t blast this forum by constantly spilling code snippets into the forum, from which the questioner doesn’t/can’t know, how to use, and which – what is even more important – aren’t necessary at all to solve the initial issue. Applying native Muse techniques „out of the box“ in most cases do the trick.

Muse users, who ask for a solution within actual Muse, don’t want the permanent indoctrination to buy, learn and use a different application.

If I have a problem with my beloved vintage car, it is absolutely no help, to tell me „Buy a Mercedes Benz, and you are lucky!“. And Muse isn’t „vintage“ at all, if you have the skills to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Just for the convenience of everyone's will it be ok if we create altogether a separate forum something like "Muse - Migration Plan".

So the user's are looking for an alternative to Muse shall post over there and  those who are looking for a technical support with Muse can continue here.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Ankush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think, this is not really necessary. These kind of migration questions can be answered here in this forum as well.

The actual problem here is, that Muse users, who want to fix their Muse issues, deserve an appropriate answer. It is absolutely useless and kind of impolite, to drown them in tons of HTML snippets, which are thrown into this forum by people, who have no real idea, how Muse is working, who never worked with Muse, and who never spend a second in assisting Muse users in the past years.

If actual Muse users want to change their web application and need some advice, they surely will ask. But if they are looking for solutions within Muse, we should seriously help them and not feed them with code snippets and tell them to better use a different application.

To say it in clear, simple words: Muse users don‘t want to code! If they would, they had not even started to use it!

In consequence, Muse users, who are looking for a alternate application, normally never will go to a coding orientated app. They rather will choose apps like Webflow or Without Code or perhaps the very powerful Wappler. Coding apps like Dreamweaver definitely will not be one of the prefered alternatives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just fyi alt layouts are a different thing to 'responive' design... you can have an alt layout that is fixed and a desktop that is 'responive' | fluid on the same site at the same time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines