Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to remove .html in URL

New Here ,
Dec 20, 2012 Dec 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello-

I was wondering if there was a way to remove the .html in the URL bar.  I am NOT using BC to host the site.

The hope is to go from www.yoursite.com/name.html  --to-->  www.yoursite.com/name

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-Cord

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Mar 01, 2015 Mar 01, 2015

Votes

Translate

Translate
Apr 12, 2013 Apr 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Muse doesn't provide this ability today to remove .html from page URL's. Please feel free to submit a vote to this idea - http://forums.adobe.com/ideas/2010

Thanks,

Vinayak

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2015 Jan 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do we have to vote this to be a feature. it should Already be included its 2015 come on guys! Get with the Program. RND Innovate And move Forward. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2015 Mar 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly! Is there still no solution to this problem? Makes sites look particularly unpleasant to look at in the url area

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer was given in response #2. This is not done within Muse, and basically cannot be done in Muse unless Muse starts writing .htaccess files beyond their own redirects. I doubt that they ever would give it such capability.

The .htaccess file is a text file located in the root of your web server, accessible with an FTP client such as Filezilla, and editable with a basic text editor. If there isn't a .htaccess file present, then you can easily create one and upload it to the root of the server.

Keep in mind that this only works on an Apache server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2016 Feb 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the instructions on this blog and it didn't work for me. I was trying to remove the .html extension.

What I did was..

went into the .htaccess file and copy pasted the code from the blog and re uploaded the file using FileZilla.

And nothing happened.

Can someone please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2016 Jul 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be fair, the software already writes and saves CSS and JS pages that are basically just text files with other extensions. It's not a stretch to have the software write additional files. ESPECIALLY if they're also just text files saved with just the .htaccess extension added. In fact, it'd be an amazing developer tool to have any kind of masking be a feature in the page settings or somewhere. I've got a client right now who would love me to be able to mask the domain of my single page with the domain his site is linking from while we wait for the grant money to rebuild his whole site from scratch. He's got most of it on WordPress and even that is using a domain mask to his official domain with a WordPress feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, it's been 4 years, and there are 72 requests for this feature. Is there a chance it will happen or can you provide a workaround that's easy to follow? This ability to remove the .html is necessary for those of us who are rebuilding existing websites and want to retain any SEO juice accumulated from the existing pages. Changing their exact names is an SEO no no. Please advise! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been any forward movement from the Adobe Muse team about this issue? I need an easy solution that doesn't require hand writing code and can't find one. Would love to hear if anyone has figured one out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 13, 2013 Apr 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can edit the .htaccess file on your web server.

Check this out:

http://css-tricks.com/snippets/htaccess/remove-file-extention-from-urls/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2013 Jun 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks perfect!  I'm a novice when it comes to actual development though.... I can't find a file labeled .htaccess anywhere.  I have found an access logs folder where I see two files that I can't seem to edit.  Any way you can help me connect the dots?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2017 Oct 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To me, this worked.

Copy the exact text below in your .htaccess file:

## Go Daddy servers need the Options -MultiViews code below

Options -MultiViews

RewriteEngine On

RewriteBase /

# Hide .html extension

## External Redirect

RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} ^[A-Z]{3,}\s([^.]+)\.html [NC]

RewriteRule ^ %1 [R,NC]

## ## Internal Redirect

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME}.html -f

RewriteRule ^ %{REQUEST_URI}.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2017 Oct 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I copied this whole text (also if i do not use Go Daddy) and it worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Martinwinx, thank you so much for making this easy!  One question...in Godaddy....where the heck is the .htaccess file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

martinwinx​  you are a genius!!!!!!!!  I had to get out of my file manager cause I clicked around too much and tada!  there was the .htaccess file, put in your genius and wala!  I am doing the happy dance!!  martinwinx​ for pres

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem I am glad I helped you 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2018 Feb 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

grrrrrrrr!!!!  It stopped working!  i went to see my .htaccess file and there are 2, an old and a backup?  I didn't add another .htaccess.  Do you by any chance know how to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines