• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I created a website 4+ years ago in muse...any way to "convert it"?

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am not a web designer, but about 4 years ago I created a website for the company I worked for at the time. I now work elsewhere, and they are asking me to update the site. I don't have Muse, so I went to download it....and see it's EOL. Will Adobe XD open the old Muse file? Or is my only option to completely recreate the website? They MAY still have Muse installed on their computer, but not sure....

Thanks in advance,

Samantha

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your Muse "Site" will open in Muse only but of course must have a "yourclient.muse" file. If there´s no "… .muse"

there´s no way, except downloading the html and edit that one, which is possible with Pinegrow, to name just one I know which is capable in this.

Despite Muse is EOL you and your client can download and install Muse in most cases - there are some glitches on Windows 10 and MAC Big Sur, I heard, but basically it is possible.

But as mentioned at the beginning, a .muse file is necessary.

I recommend to keep the updates of the website for some edits only, to recreate and build a complete new website it might get tricky in future, regarding browser updates or system OS updates.

A website from 2017 may need some more changes than edits only, I am afraid? Especially responsiveness of a website is very important these days, instead of adaptive websites, if you know what I mean.

XD however may help to create a new website but needs a developer after the design process. There´s a plugin to export the html and that one might get better some day but as of this reading even that html needs a developer to keep it slim enough.

So, depending on your skills and the schedule your now-job allows, …

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Uwe -- pretty sure my old boss as the .muse file, however, I'm not finding a way for me to download it. (I'm hoping to not have to travel to them to use their computers, and that I can do it at home on my own.)

As far as responsiveness and other things, TBH that's not my problem, that's his! He paid me to create the website because it was something I enjoyed doing for fun, and much more cost effective, but like I said, this is dfintiely not my profession! I can pass along that info to him, though. It's a fairly small website with mostly text and photos for a business, not an e-commerce/snything too fancy site!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the responsiveness is something you have to do with adding breakpoints, depending on the design. You may come back here in case you are proceeding.

For you, not to have an Adobe fully CC (all apps) plan it might get difficult, your client/old boss may have to pay for one or two month a full CC plan, if you do not plan to travel to them to use their computers.

Traveling could be fun, though, as well, couldn't it?

If you have a full paid CC plan with Adobe you'll find a button "show older apps" to check, in order to get Muse to run, depending on your OS. You get this button in the CC application - preferences window - Applications - scroll down - show older apps.

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Tell your former boss it's time to hire an experienced web professional to take over the site. 

These days business owners can't afford to put their online presence in the hands of unskilled amateurs.  I could share some real life horror stories about sites I've rescued from well-meaning but clueless kids, nephews & nieces. One business was blacklisted by Google and Yelp because of what their teenage son did. 

Your former boss can use a local recruiter or post a job ad on Behance / Adobe Talent. 

Hope that helps.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines