• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there any way to automatically update links in mobile / tablet versions of a site which point to other pages in the same site?

New Here ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have made a desktop version of a site containing close to a thousand links between pages (it is a website for an artist, so each image in each of the many, many galleries, has a right and a left arrow to navigate to the next or previous page).

On the desktop version, the hyperlinks all point to [Desktop] and I thought that when copying elements over to the tablet or phone versions, it would automatically point the links to the [Phone] or [Tablet] versions of the pages, but that is not the case: each link still points toward the Desktop pages.

Will tablet and mobile devices automatically redirect themselves to the correct versions of pages, is there a simple way to change all links in one go if I need to do so, or do I literally have to edit each link one by one? At least if I could access the html code I could find and replace '[Desktop]' with '[Phone]' to speed the process up!

The site was built on a template which does not work with breakpoints as it was designed with multiple versions in mind - scroll effects disappear if I add breakpoints, for instance,  so switching to a version with breakpoints instead of alternate versions is not an option here. Besides which I think my life would be in danger if I suggest to my partner that she has to start working on breakpoints all over again!!!

I've searched high and low for an answer to this question - the only instance I can find is an unanswered question in the forums from 2015 titled 'Hyperlinks not automatically adjusted for mobile'.

Any advice on how to swiftly get this working (or some reassurance that mobiles and tablets will ignore the '[Desktop]' part of the hyperlink and will just automatically load their versions of each page without wasting time loading the wrong one!) would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

owent21339366  schrieb

The site was built on a template which does not work with breakpoints as it was designed with multiple versions in mind - scroll effects disappear if I add breakpoints, for instance, 

Thanks

Scroll effects do not disappear at all, if you add breakpoints.

There are two different kind of breakpoints – fluid width and fixed width breakpoints.

If you use fixed width breakpoints, scroll effects work quite properly.

You may have some issue only for your mobile section, where normall

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using Alternate layout, you have to relink the elements to appropriate version.

To avoid that issue you can do it in responsive layout.

Toufic Nabi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I literally have to click on each and every hyperlink and edit it to say 'Mobile' or 'Tablet' at the end? There's no 'replace all' function available?    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, there are no shortcut to do that. I would rather suggest you to switch to responsive layout and NO the scroll effect will not go away if you work in a fixed width breakpoint. Additionally you can delete the alternate layout for phone and tablet once you decide to work on responsive.

Thanks

Toufic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

owent21339366  schrieb

The site was built on a template which does not work with breakpoints as it was designed with multiple versions in mind - scroll effects disappear if I add breakpoints, for instance, 

Thanks

Scroll effects do not disappear at all, if you add breakpoints.

There are two different kind of breakpoints – fluid width and fixed width breakpoints.

If you use fixed width breakpoints, scroll effects work quite properly.

You may have some issue only for your mobile section, where normally fluid width breakpoints are recommended.

But in your case (what we call a worst case scenario ), why not stick with fixed width breakpoints through the whole site?

If you pass us one page with one or two elements, we can check, if this is possible.

Just one desktop page with one gallery and one other element should be enough to check OR you check by yourself.

Best Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines