• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues: Accordion limitations, hyperlink tooltips and open on new page, text frame within text frame

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the Muse 2018 version.  I am building a somewhat large content based site with 50+ articles that will grow over time. Each of them uses the accordion to subdivide articles into parts since they are sometimes quite long.  I am using a 27inch iMac with 32Gigabytes of RAM.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

4 GHz Intel Core i7

32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB

To highlight certain statements within my articles I am using a "highlighted" (colored) text frame within the standard accordion text frame.  Responsive design of text frames inside the accordion text frame does not seen to always work. I have to shrink the width of the inner text frame to stay within the smallest size on such breakpoints.  I also cannot seem to set responsive width of the inner text frame at all even though it should inherit the responsiveness of its container.

Also, I link to outside sites from within the content and set it to open a new page and use a tooltip.  Whereas the actual hyperlink seems to propagate to each breakpoint, the tooltip and check box settings for opening on a new page do not.  It is a real pain in the butt since I have a lot of links and have to define each one for every breakpoint of every article since the complete hyperlink definition does not propagate to all breakpoints.

The accordion itself seems quite restrictive.  Plus, to be honest the software seems VERY slow even though I have barely started the site.

Any idea when robustness will be added to the accordion?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018
  • I was wrong: I was convinced, that compositions together with its context behave responsive as inline elements – just like slideshows do. But I was wrong. Inline compositions don’t scale in this use case. Sorry for that.
  • Not sure, if your „Tooltip“ issue is an issue at all. There is a way to preserve tooltips and its adjustments across breakpoint by using the „Format Text Breakpoint-wise“ toggle. If you format text across all breakpoints, the tooltip are kept, as you are expecting it. Look at thi

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Responsive text frames within responsive text frames aren‘t possible in Muse right now. Inline text frames are fixed width for now. A restriction? Yes. But don‘t forget, that Muse is a very young application, and responsive Muse even much younger (around 1 year old).

You can place a text frame into a one-target-composition with the trigger hidden behind the target. If you copy this composition into your text frame within the accordion, all should work fine. And: Is it really necessary to nest a text frame within a text frame within an accordion? Wouldn‘t it be possible for you, to place the text containers one below the other?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize Muse is young; yet it is still a great product.  There's nothing else I'd rather use.  I got it as soon as it was available years ago as part of my Adobe CC account but haven't used it heavily until now.  It's responsive features are working fine except for a couple of things.

This is going to be a large site in terms of hundreds of pages of text content within dozens of separate individually linked articles.  I have the basic site format built and am now undertaking the laborious and weeks-long (or months-long) task of migrating all the content into the new site build.  I am actually a bit concerned as to whether or not Muse will be able to handle the amount of data.  I guess I'll find out.

The lack of complete hyperlink formatting across each breakpoint is currently my biggest headache. Having to check the "open in new window" box and define a tooltip for the linked text within every breakpoint seems to be a weakness that should be addressed.  Otherwise, hyperlinks are not inherited across all breakpoints.  The actual link for any given linked text is inherited throughout, but the tooltip and "open in new window" checked box isn't.  With a lot of linked text locations, that makes for an unnecessarily time consuming task that would't be a problem if total hyperlink formatting for specific selected text was inherited by all breakpoints after being defined on one.

As far as the text frame within a text frame: I thought the "content" capability fixed the actual "content" inside the text box, which isn't what I want.  I have "emphasized" colored areas of text all throughout the articles with the text being different in each.  It is to play a role similar to if someone was highlighting important text within a book.

I am actually redoing a site from its current WordPress format which someone else created and never fully completed and/or did things I did not want done.  It's in need of substantial update.  I'm no WordPress expert and, frankly, hate it anyway - way too clunky and restrictive for my taste.  I prefer the GUI method of Muse much more.  Thus, I am copying/pasting content (text) from the existing site into the "new" site as I build it in Muse, which means AFTER pasting the text content I go through it to format, emphasize, etc. where needed.  Using multiple text frames would require I know beforehand exactly where I want the "emphasized" text frame so that I can place it as needed.  I don't know until I read through and decide.  Anyway, it would mean each article would have numerous text frames one atop the other and would take even longer than currently is taken

The 1200, 960, 768, 550, and 480 breakpoints I'm using seem to work with the "emphasized" text pasted into the existing master text frame for each "accordion" part of the specific article.  It isn't "responsive", but a small breakpoint is jumped to before any width response is necessary.  The only caveat is the final, 480 breakpoint. There I need to shrink the width of the "emphasized" text frame so that as the accordion adjust in width it doesn't impinge upon the smaller width of the "emphasized" frame.  Doing that makes everything work fine and actually looks nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH.  Another feature that would be nice is for any formatted text (Bold, italics, paragraph style, etc.) to be inherited across all breakpoints.  I currently have to format the text individually on every single breakpoint.  It would save a lot of time if the text format was maintained on every breakpoint after being defined on one.  Or ... maybe I'm doing something wrong.  I use a paragraph style but it doesn't propagate to all breakpoints.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• I was wrong: I was convinced, that compositions together with its context behave responsive as inline elements – just like slideshows do. But I was wrong. Inline compositions don’t scale in this use case. Sorry for that.
  • Not sure, if your „Tooltip“ issue is an issue at all. There is a way to preserve tooltips and its adjustments across breakpoint by using the „Format Text Breakpoint-wise“ toggle. If you format text across all breakpoints, the tooltip are kept, as you are expecting it. Look at this screencast:

• The same toggle may be used to fix your „Format text across all breakpoints“ issue. Just look:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!  Yes, that solves the tooltip and checked box for "open in new window" problem!  I had not seen anything explaining that format text toggle.  In fact, in the almost 6 hour Muse Essentials training video I watched it was suggested to never use the toggle.  I've tested it, and now all I have to do is format each link once, and it remains formatted completely across all breakpoints.  It also lets me set all other formats just once and it is inherited by all breakpoints.  This will same me LOTS and LOTS of time and speed up my site development enormously.

I thought there had to be an answer.  Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines