Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

JavaScript error when adding widgets in Muse

Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2019 Mar 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Whenever I add any widget to a page while designing I get the following error. The widget drops onto the page but nothing happens after that and it doesn't work.

JavaScript exception: Error calling selector function: TypeError: Object doesn't support this property or method

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 16, 2019 Mar 16, 2019

No issues here at all:

There are some widget (some of the built in ones too), which only work, when the site is uploaded to the server (for example forms with reCaptcha)

The inesin question here don’t need an active internet connection.

Again:

I think, your issue is a broken Muse installation with corrupt preferences or eventually a broken browser installation.Here on my Mac, all works as expected in Safari and Chrome. Modifying the file in Muse doesn’t cause issues too.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Can you name a specific widget, which causes this issue? Would be fine, if it is a free one and you give us the download link to test it.
  2. Did you restart Muse?
  3. Did you restart your computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Gunter. Yes they where all free and noted below.

I've updated Java and Muse, and restarted everything but it stays the same.

Here is two of them.

https://www.muse-themes.com/products/before-after-image-slider

Animated Hamburger Widget for Adobe Muse | Creativated.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also flushed my firewall settings. Have realised in the past that some settings might block comms to places where widgets and Java wonder to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Java is not the same as JavaScript.  They are 2 entirely different programming languages that do very different things.  

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested the two widgets. The"before/after" widget actually seems to produce a damaged download from the MuseThemse website, but I have a working version of this element in my library. Both widgets work fine here without any issues:

This leads me to the conclusion, that there may be conflicting code on your site – maybe caused by other widget. Just try to delete test-wise all other 3rd party widgets and look, what happens. You may try the functionality by testing this example site:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eme655z2ecz38wi/before-after.muse?dl=1

Additionally, you can download a version of the „Before/After“ widget, which works fine on my system.

If you can’t find the culprit on your site, please delete all pages, except the one containing the widgets, save this .muse file under a new name, upload it to Dropbox or a similar file sharing service and post the download link here. Then we will have a look.

PS: Nancy is right: No need to update Java on your machine. This has nothing to do with JavaScript.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2019 Mar 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a clean boot, opened Muse and opened a new page. Then added a widget a got the same error. The widget I added was the menu button which you say is working. I also tested the .muse that you sent. The page opened without issues and I could see the menu button that looked fine but as soon as try to edit it, I get the same error. It also doesn't work when I preview the page.

JavaScript error.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what your page looks like when I open it here. Besides the assets that didn't accompany the page, any changes or additions I wish to make, result in the same.

JavaScript error Gunter.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fotoroeder​, could you please test the .muse file, I attached in post 5? And perhaps a Windows user will be so friendly to have a look too! Ussnorway​?

Seems to be something wrong with your Muse installation or perhaps your browser installation. Missing assets are normal, because I didn‘t attach them. But this causes no issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the meantime I wiped the Muse installation and reinstalled. Also saw that the previous installation refused to associate any Muse files with the program, only with Dreamweaver (which I also uninstalled).

Dreamweaver and Photoshop have almost the same 'node' files whereas my Muse installation do not, only a few 'node' folders and a nodejs html doc. Dreamweaver and Photoshop worked perfectly (although I still have no clue as to operating Dreamweaver).

If I build a .muse including it's issues and send them along, they will probably just work on your end, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

zakc80714809  schrieb

If I build a .muse including it's issues and send them along, they will probably just work on your end, right?

Yes, of course it should work! But please build a really small .muse file. This highly simplifies investigations. Upload it to Dropbox or a similar file sharing service and post the download link here.

Additionally: when you reinstalled Muse via CC Desktop App, did you allow deleting the Preferences too? If not, possible issues may remain untouched.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It´ s a pleasure for me to do so. BTW the before and after widget from muse-themes.com is not as good as the one from @Vexshad.

As soon as I checked I put that one in the folder as well. It was a free widget so I don`t think that VexShad will blame me for that.

https://adobe.ly/2UDK7QT

I could not reproduce any error warning, though. Will that hamburger menu finally be placed inside a composition for menu purposes?

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

both your widgets are working on my Windows system

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Günter Heißenbüttel​ yes I deleted the preferences. It also left a few folders which I also deleted.

Here is a clean doc in which I added 3 widgets. Included is the menu widget, a standard Muse widget, and the before/after from fotoroeder​. You will see that the standard widgets work, with any other widget added afterwards being problematic.

https://adobe.ly/2T7ojeR

fotoroeder​ if you're asking whether the menu widget will end up being used on the site as a site menu, then the answer is yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know if these type of widgets attempt some type of connection to the internet? To me it seems that they do as opposed to the standard widgets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No issues here at all:

There are some widget (some of the built in ones too), which only work, when the site is uploaded to the server (for example forms with reCaptcha)

The inesin question here don’t need an active internet connection.

Again:

I think, your issue is a broken Muse installation with corrupt preferences or eventually a broken browser installation.Here on my Mac, all works as expected in Safari and Chrome. Modifying the file in Muse doesn’t cause issues too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

all widgets need a contection to the internet mate... I confirm able to add these widgets to your test site

you don't have the verion shown in the demo vid i.e, the one that has a code count... that means if you try to use more than one of these widgets on the same site it will push out an error because {in the code} both widgets are the same name

Q1, have you tried using just one copy of this widget on your site?

Q2, is there some kind of vpn, proxy etc between you and the host server?

Q3 you are dragging just the widget out of your library or the widget + breakpoints?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks mate, I thought so.

I'm only trying to put one menu widget on the site.

A1 Yes, that's all I'm trying to do.

A2 No VPN or proxy, only the 1.1.1.1 DNS

A3 With or without breakpoints it's doing the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

zakc80714809  schrieb

Here is a clean doc in which I added 3 widgets. Included is the menu widget, a standard Muse widget, and the before/after from fotoroeder . You will see that the standard widgets work, with any other widget added afterwards being problematic.

I also have no issues with your clean muse file. I want to add, that "my" before-after-widget works best when used with fixed width breakpoints. The muse-themes widget with the same effect had the disadvantage of needing a new element of the same widget with newly st up images. I had a thread with this issue with muse-themes.com. That`s why the widget from vex shad is much more convienant.

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I haven’t found the problem and I don’t care any more. I installed Windows 10 on a VM and Muse on top of that. Once I started it up everything worked like a charm. So I’m wiping the old Windows. Thanks for everyone's attempts, especially Günter Heißenbüttel

fotoroeder​ I now realise what you were after with the menu question. I see it's not a menu, just a stupid little animation. So now I'll have to go search for a menu that works like that. On the preview of that widget it opened a menu to the side, so I thought that's the one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding menus, I won’t focus to much on 3rd party widgets. I‘d encourage you, to have a very close look at the great „hidden“ possibilities, which are offered by Muse’s standard menus out of the box.

Just look at my answers in these threads:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2579568

http://menu-tap.businesscatalyst.com/index.html#top

In both threads you find sample files for very flexible mobile/desktop menus (just resize the browser window) simply using the configuration options of Muse’s built in menus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2019 Mar 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is fantastic, thanks! Took me a while to figure out what you did there

I do have an issue though. I attempt to get a menu button like the hamburger animation thing to display. Then only when you click on it, it should display the actual menu to the left. As in this doc you'll see when I do that, it just adds buttons that's linked to the previous, only opening when you hover over them. I added the animation button in there which aren’t yet working but I'll sort it out.

https://adobe.ly/2Y4cNVi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2019 Mar 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I must admit, I don’t understand, what you are trying to achieve …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines