• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Let's make a MUSE compatible software, that would replace it.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

My developer team and I have decided that we would like to develop a MUSE compatible software, that would replace MUSE, if there is enough interest. I’m creating a petition to see if there is any.

Story time.

As a lot of you, we have built our company around MUSE partly. About two years ago we have invested time and money to develop this branch. We were stunned when we saw the news that ADOBE has announced the discontinuation of the software, that I regard as a unique solution, even if it has its own faults.

When we decided to develop this branch of the company, we have investigated different software products. Some of those has never worked quite as well as MUSE, others had restrictions about where one could keep his or her site, or they were more expensive than MUSE, or there were not enough components to choose from etc. Personally I liked the widget system very much, as a user, I liked the simplicity and freedom it offered, which were supported by MUSE as a framework.

According to what ADOBE disclosed, they are going to support MUSE for another year.

But how am I supposed to build a site with it now, if I know full well that it is going to close down. How much work will it be to move the site? How much wasted money, how many widgets will I lose?

Someone asked why don’t we build the software again? A MUSE compatible software. We have spent the following days investigating the question, if it is possible and if yes, how exactly.

Goals

• A interface that is very similar to MUSE, with very similar abilities, with a non-WEB based program.
  • Being able to read files that were created by MUSE. As much compatibility as possible.
  • To be able to use widgets that were created for MUSE as usual
  • To be able to use templates used in MUSE as usual
  • To be able to use the new software on both Mac and Windows platforms 

Non-Goals

• Compatibility with other ADOBE products (e.g Photoshop) or files created by such programs (e.g .psd files)
  • Drag and drop capability from other ADOBE products
  • To implement libraries, fonts, and other licenced content into our product.

Long term goals

• Expand the widget API, to help widget builders foremost.
  • To create the ability for php files and http cookies to connect and manage databases. This would give the opportunity to developers to create more robust backends.

Realization, risks

• According to our calculations, we can reliably develop the software. It would take about 12 months to reach beta. (By the time ADOBE pulls support)
  • After the beta, It would take another year to finish the product.
  • It would take about 2000 supporters to be able to get started on the development of the project.
  • We intend the start a crowd-funding campaign to cover some of the costs of development. It costs 280 dollars to pay for a year of ADOBE MUSE. For the program we intend to develop, you can subscribe for 100 dollars a year, in our Indiegogo campaign.
  • The more people supports our campaign, the more resources would we have available to us, lowering the risks.
  • For your information, we are a Hungarian company. The company has been founded seven years ago, and we have been developing software ever since.(Wesselenyi Rendszerhaz Ltd. – www.whaz.hu – the site is in hungarian)

Who should sign the petition

• With this petition, we intend to see how many serious supporters we have. If we attain 2000 supporters, we will start the Indiegogo campaign.
  • Please only sign the petition if you seriously consider paying 100 dollars a year for the yearly subscription.

I hope we will have a successful campaign, and we can create a software that will replace MUSE. You can go to this address to sign the petition:

https://www.change.org/p/office-whaz-hu-let-s-make-a-muse-compatible-software-that-would-r eplace-it

Thank you for reading this petition. – Wesselenyi Rendszerhaz Ltd. team -

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

prohászkac52338044  wrote

Realization, risks

• According to our calculations, we can reliably develop the software. It would take about 12 months to reach beta. (By the time ADOBE pulls support)
  • After the beta, It would take another year to finish the product.
  • It would take about 2000 supporters to be able to get started on the development of the project.
  • We intend the start a crowd-funding campaign to cover some of the costs of development. It costs 280 dollars to pay for a year of ADOBE MUSE. For the program we intend to develop, you can subscribe for 100 dollars a year, in our Indiegogo campaign.
  • The more people supports our campaign, the more resources would we have available to us, lowering the risks.
Who should sign the petition
  • With this petition, we intend to see how many serious supporters we have. If we attain 2000 supporters, we will start the Indiegogo campaign.
  • Please only sign the petition if you seriously consider paying 100 dollars a year for the yearly subscription.

I applaud your initiative, but what about the risks to those people whom support / fund it ?

Macaw was a great example of this danger.

2,752 backers pledged $275,929

Macaw: The Code-Savvy Web Design Tool by Macaw — Kickstarter

Those 2,752 spent money and received a unfinished buggy product, the company sold out and ceased to exist, the supporters were left with empty promises. Not a good return on investment at all.

Wappler is another crowd funded project with unknowns, but it is backed by DMXzone so maybe better odds than Macaw.

With Muse users already not feeling good regarding the investing of their time, money and effort into and with Adobe Muse, I ask what is the assurance to them, if any from you?

Again I applaud your initiative but that aspect should be seriously considered by Muse users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to my above already stated sentiments.

It sounds like it will be a desktop app and not web based, thats good. But will it work from raw source project files (HTML/CSS/JS) or have a closed proprietary file format? Thats important in case it does not succeed to fruition. Will Muse users that adopt it in their workflow and decide to depend on it be able to easily take their files and projects and work with them elsewhere in other software?

Again for Muse users, that will be important to not be locked into something, given what they are now experiencing.

Looking forward to hear your answers on these things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know of 3 3rd party softwares that already meet most those points like open a .Muse file and interface... the 3rd party widget idea is not realistic and I can only assume you didn't get advice from a code expert before making up that list

best of luck with it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines