• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Looking for a responsive iframe widget or code that also spans the height of webpage

New Here ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all!  I'm looking for widget, or code, for a responsive iframe that is responsive in both width AND height, but with the height spanning the full height of the page contents without covering up the page header or the sticky footer.  The only options I've found either don't have responsive height (responsive width only), or if they do have responsive height they cover the full height of the webpage, including overlaying the header and sticky footer which I need to not happen. I still need the header and sticky footer visible.  Is there a responsive iframe widget or option out there for this?  Thanks!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

I don't understand what you think is "width responsive" behavior then

would need to see your design and that = a .muse file... just the iframe page and what ever page goes inside it will do i.e, not the entire 80 page site

save it as a new site with just those things needed to see the layout issue and put the .muse file into a dropbox | library with a url link so we can see what you are tring to make

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just one of the many drawbacks with <iframes>  Best to not use them if you can possibly avoid it.

But let's say you have a YouTube video embed .  The idea here is to wrap an absolutely positioned <iframe> inside a relatively positioned  parent <div>.  See code below.

<div class="wrapper" style="position:relative; overflow: hidden; padding-top: 56.25%;">
    <iframe style="position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; width: 100%; height: 100%; border: 0;" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dQw4w9WgXcQ" gesture="media"  allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
</div>

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy - thanks for this solution, I tried it and it works great for a little test animation I'm doing. Is there anyway to set a max-height for the wrapper?  I have tried it using max-height: but doesn't seem to do much. I have an html canvas animation in my iframe, and don't want the iframe getting taller than the animation.  link below. many thanks. steve

http://iamsteve.co.uk/test1/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sdm038,

You must start with a responsive animation.  Currently your <canvas> is fixed-width = 900px which won't fit most devices above or below that pixel value.

https://blog.adobe.com/en/publish/2016/08/11/creating-html5-ads-with-animate-cc-responsive-canvas-sc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy, thanks for replying. Very much appreciated. The animation is responsive, although I have not checked the 'scale to fit' checkbox as I don't want the animation to completely fill the browser window on larger screens. So currently it does scale if you make the browser smaller, but remains 900px wide when the browser is full screen. This is just a test and I will probably have the animation slightly larger, but don't want it filling the screen on hd screens. The problem is the iframe continues to scale. Is there anyway to stop this?  Thanks. Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Muse is end of life since 2018 when Adobe discontinued it.  Muse is unsupported outdated software that is no longer fit for use. 

I suggest you use Dreamweaver instead of Muse.  You'll have more control of your code and be able to embed the animation directly into your HTML document without using an <iframe>. 

Responsive <canvas> can be wrapped inside a parent <div> tag styled with CSS that constrains it's width on small & large devices. 

By way of an example with Bootstrap responsive framework:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
<title>Bootstrap Example</title>
<meta charset="utf-8">
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">
<link rel="stylesheet" href="https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/bootstrap@4.6.1/dist/css/bootstrap.min.css">
</head>
<body>
<h1>Dreamweaver with Bootstrap 4</h1>

<div class="col-md-6 mx-auto">
<h3>Animation goes here</h3>
  <canvas>

</canvas>
</div>

<!--Supporting scripts here, first jQuery, then Popper, then Bootstrap-->
<script src="https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/jquery@3.6.0/dist/jquery.slim.min.js"></script>
<script src="https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/popper.js@1.16.1/dist/umd/popper.min.js"></script>
<script src="https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/bootstrap@4.6.1/dist/js/bootstrap.bundle.min.js"></script>

</body>
</html>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, my browser is having major problems with this forum right now.

Picking up from before, assuming your header and footer are not positioned, it should look something like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i agree that iframes bring their own issues however sometimes they solve a problem that other types of code can't and I use this custom widget iframe (made by Pavel) when I need a responsive one

https://adobe.ly/2KeW0rg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried using that widget by Pavel Homeriki and it works fantastically for responsive full page height, but it doesn't seem to be responsive in width.  I need a widget that provides an iframe that is full page height responsive just like Pavel's widget but is also width responsive (not full page width).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the HTML object code I posted 4 days ago?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand what you think is "width responsive" behavior then

would need to see your design and that = a .muse file... just the iframe page and what ever page goes inside it will do i.e, not the entire 80 page site

save it as a new site with just those things needed to see the layout issue and put the .muse file into a dropbox | library with a url link so we can see what you are tring to make

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines