• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lost project files by new PC - can an HTML download help?

Participant ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This  painful situation is probably quite familiar to many.I guess I got sloppy when transferring the Documents folder and only half of the content landed on the external media from which I planned to copy it back to the new Windows. So... here I am with Muse newly installed and no project files for the websites that are already up on the Net.

My question is, how can I use the html and the other files uploaded to FTP to maybe give me a kick-start? Is it possible perhaps to copy the HTML files and load them into pages to give me maybe a messy version of what I want? I've never attempted to do this before and I think it won't help, but it can't hurt to ask.

Thanks

Karen

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your success with Muse generated HTML files in Dreamweaver (or any code editor) will largely depend on how your Muse pages were laid out and the widgets that were used.   Try it and see what happens.

In DW CC, go to Site > New Site and tell DW where you want your project files to reside on your primary hard drive (aka the Local Site Folder).  See screenshots below.

Example, C:\myTestSite\

Site > New Site -- Local Site FolderSite > New Site -- Local Site Folder

Click on Servers.  Enter remote server's log-in credentials and root directory. 

Manage Sites > Remote Server FTP log-inManage Sites > Remote Server FTP log-in

Click the TEST button to confirm your connection.

Open the Files Panel (F8) and GET files from Remote Server (down arrow).

Good luck!

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning, Nancy!
I have now rebuilt the first of my sites in Muse, and actually, it's better than before: shorter and less "old-fashioned".

But I still have another to rebuild. I certainly can pull the files from our server at 1&1, and I could then try opening these in Dreamweaver, but for me that's pretty much end of the line. I have only minimal skills with code, and at 75 I'm probably not going to devote myself to learning them. That's why I LOVED Muse. 
I must admit, it sounds interesting to try load it into DW, but bringing it over to Muse is still a problem that must be addressed. (Or have I misunderstood the instuctions?)
Anyway, I thank you so much for your time and help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Exporting to HTML is a one way trip.  It is not possible to bring native HTML, CSS and JS files back into Muse because Muse is not a code editor.  It's a code generator.  Two very different things.

Now that Muse is officially discontinued, any sites you create with this software are at your own risk of failure. 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/muse/important-announcement-support-for-adobe-muse-ends-today/td-p/11...

Good luck!

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines