• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Master within a master

Engaged ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that there is the option to set a master with a master. Great I thought for common master content. However I dont seem to able to keep the new master content in the footer. The main master controls the footer. So my second master sees new additional footer content as page content and so the actual page content ends up on top.

Is there a solution please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Please, don’t put pressure on us. We try our best. But sometimes it may last for some time, until we can answer! Don’t forget, that we are users like you …

I see, what you mean, but I think, this is expected behaviour.

Please pardon me, I think, this is very difficult to explain for a non native speaker. But I’ll try anyway:

First of all, we should distinguish between the (a) footer area, which is defined on your master page (and is pushed down, if you "touch" it by dragging an element on layout pa

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don’t understand, what you want to achieve.

I have master A with some footer elements.

I create a new master page – master B – and assign master A to it.

On master B I can add individual footer elements with no problem. I can’t delete elements of master A in master B.

Perhaps you should share a .muse file with 2 masters and nothing but  some master page elements on it with us (Please no complete sites/pages!) Use Dropbox, CC Files or a similar file sharing service for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats exactly it only it wont let me add new footer elements. TBH Muse has been glitchy all day and keeps adding white gaps on masters. I've quit and re-opened twice and its changed each time. 😞 I'll try a complete computer shut down.

But thanks for letting know Its possible. Don;t have time to create a new file with the masters at the moment, but if the problem persists I will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually can you please tell me how you add the new footer elements as its just not having it! I add them, mark them as footer but the footer line still wont include them and keeps them in the body so they are then behind the body content on my pages

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don‘t understand.

Element, which are manually marked as a footer element by checking the „footer“ option, of course don‘t cause the “footer line“ to move. Footer elements can be placed everywhere, if necessary even at the very top of your page. So moving the footer line would not make any sense.

But I don‘t think, this is your issue.

If you have no time to share a small .muse file demonstrating your issue, well, I have no time for guessings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair point, I will create a file, where do I upload it? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dropbox? CC Files? Any other file sharing service. Then share the download link with us.

You may follow these recommendations: https://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-8652

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, don’t put pressure on us. We try our best. But sometimes it may last for some time, until we can answer! Don’t forget, that we are users like you …

I see, what you mean, but I think, this is expected behaviour.

Please pardon me, I think, this is very difficult to explain for a non native speaker. But I’ll try anyway:

First of all, we should distinguish between the (a) footer area, which is defined on your master page (and is pushed down, if you "touch" it by dragging an element on layout page against it) and (b) footer elements, which are not necessarily placed within the footer area. These elements belong logically to the footer, they move up and down according to the movements of the footer area, but they aren’t pushed down, when you "touch" them in design mode with a non footer element.

If you assign a master page A to a master page B, all elements on master B, which are inherited from master A, aren’t accessible and therefore aren’t editable on this „child“ master page.

The "footer area elements" of your master B are inherited from master A, therefore you can’t edit them on master B.

These "footer area elements", inherited from master A, „stick“ to the footer guideline of master B and move synchronously to it.

This, I think, is a deliberate design decision of the Muse team.

The consequence of this decision is, that footer elements and footer area on the „child“ master page B react in exactly the same way as they do on layout pages: They move with the footer according to the page and/or window height, they push down the footer area of master A, if dragged downwards, but they don’t prevent elements outside of the "real" footer area from being overlapped – no matter, if they have the "footer" attribute or not. A very important design option.

So, in short: There is no possibility, to "integrate" elements of a "child" master B into the footer area of master A (Well, there in fact is such an option, but this isn’t important for the actual situation on your site.)

Of course you can assign the "Footer" option to the elements of "child" master B, and all works fine and correctly. The only drawback is, that these elements aren’t pushed up/down, when you drag a "non footer" element against them.

But this is very easy to circumvent: Place a transparent rectangle so on your layout page, that it touches the footer area of master A. Drag it downwards, if you need more room, and all footer elements of master A and "child" master B" will follow.

What else can you do:

You may use 2 masters with footers of different height;

in many (not all) cases you can pin the elements to the bottom of the browser instead of defining them as „foter“ elements.

Puuh! I hope, you understand my words. I tried my best!

Would be nice, if ankushr40215001​ has a look at this post!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Gunter, yes i get the gist. The transparent rectangle idea works, I'll go with this. I have a complex site with around 30 pages and different pages sharing elements of the various masters, so using footers of different heights would be counter productive as I would have to keep changing them per page. Ive tested the pin option and its isnt offering it.

Least I have a workaround, thank you  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone help me with tihs please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines