• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

mobile menu lightbox is going to confuse old people (this includes me)

Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, So I created a mobile menu for the anchor points on the page using the blank composition/lightbox.  Works great, but I can easily see how people will open the menu, click on the link to the anchor...then sit there waiting for something to happen...when in fact it has scrolled to the point desired...they just need to hit the close button to make the lightbox vanish again. I have tried all the "Hide Target on" options. Am I missing something?

There must be a way to get it to have the menu close when you have clicked the menu item.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 24, 2017 Jun 24, 2017

Additionally here some examples using simply a manual menu without a composition, a lightbox or whatever. Just minimise the browser window to  see. The .muse files can be downloaded from directly from the sample site:

http://menu-tap.businesscatalyst.com

http://menu-tap-2.businesscatalyst.com

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cuzimeasy  wrote

blank composition/lightbox.

why a lightbox and not just the composition... then they wont have to press close

also it would help to see the site so have you got a url please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not simply use a manual menu for this purpose?

It jumps to the anchor and closes without user action. But people like it the complicated way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ussnorway and Günter,

So, it is a composition widget. A blank one to be exact.

The lightbox I refer to is the position setting in the fly out menu: Stacked, Scattered, Lightbox, Fading

It is a manual menu I copied from the desktop version and placed into the lightbox. This was the way Dani Beaumont showed how to do it in a Tut.

Günter: If you mean why not use a manual menu as in the one in the header...I have one there but no room once it moves into the tablet/phone dimensions. Hence the lightbox.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you....likely.

have a look:

Home

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and another weird behaviour, if I hit the burger: pick a link: close menu: open menu: pick a different link: close menu: the menu items go away, but the lightbox stays along with the close menu button, but it does not work.

stange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cuzimeasy  wrote

This was the way Dani Beaumont showed how to do it in a Tut.

can you please post a link to this tutorial... I assume its an old one

thanks for the site link (nice design) but I wouldn't use a lightbox or even a comp widget there... I'd use the basic menu widget as thats the most stabble

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh man...I have so much to learn!...How do you "hide the menu" inside a hamburger icon if its a normal menu widget?

Maybe I'm just too old to wrap my head around this!

Thanks.

Let me find the tut...it might have been one I watched on Lynda.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, it was from the tutorial: "Muse essential training" on Lynda.com: Chapter 11: Add a mobile menu widget.

It was published this year (2017)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the same thing widget is shown as an option here on adobe: 03 ham lightbox

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 24, 2017 Jun 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a beautiful, but technically not the right solution.Such solutions should be used only if you are doing a design prototype. If you are making a live site, then you should explore the possibilities of Muse for a live site and not go beyond these possibilities. For a live site, the best solution is the standard menu widget in manual mode. You can see how it works, here Homepage . Check on the real device. The behavior of the menu in the desktop browser and on the real device is different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pavel, you are correct, it does behave differently on an actual mobile device. Unfortunately not very well. When I open the menu and select the link it does nothing. In fact, I am unable to even manually scroll down the page to where I would like to get to.

This whole mobile menu thing is interesting. Mobile is clearly the direction people are going, yet there seems to be no way to help people navigate sites created using muse if they are accessing it on a mobile device. ie: an actual Muse mobile menu widget.

Navigation seems like it should be one of the first things sorted out. I see a lot of flashy bits within Muse to create effects - parallax etc. But no mobile menu widget

Strange.

So I have no idea how to create this within muse, or whether it will even work if I do figure it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additionally here some examples using simply a manual menu without a composition, a lightbox or whatever. Just minimise the browser window to  see. The .muse files can be downloaded from directly from the sample site:

http://menu-tap.businesscatalyst.com

http://menu-tap-2.businesscatalyst.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Günter,

Thanks...let me dig into this and see whats what.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

???

cuzimeasy​  don't like, to read my post above? Ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry, wasn't ignoring...a hawk was chasing a bird and landed in my marsh and I had to go fish him out. Stupid nature always pulling me away from my computer! Has it no respect!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pavel,

Any idea how this menu was created?

(The sample video on the mock site is FANTASTIC!)

Günter,

So that one works on my phone, but I have no idea what I am looking at. Is this a menu placed into an accordion? How was this done?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok...so My best guess is that this is a single menu box with sub menu items. Cool...I will play with this approach now!

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow! cool. Pavel and Günter. Thank you!

You have saved me a nervous breakdown.

Now if I can figure out how you managed to get the submenu items to scale as I adjust the browser I will be well on my way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines