Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Muse cancellation + Typekit

Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I have Adobe Muse and have requested cancellation. I have created a website that includes two fonts/three weights: Museo Sans (500/700) and Bebas Neue, and the fonts need to be present on the website after the Muse app is cancelled. Both fonts are available on TypeKit on the free plan for web use.

My first question is:

After Muse cancels presumably the TypeKit fonts will still work based on the free plan?

One thing that confuses me a bit is in TypeKit the fonts aren't listed as being used - even though they are currently working on the Muse created website, though there appears to be page views happening:

Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 21.04.43.png

My second question is:

If I would like the page view limit to go beyond 25K then I simply upgrade to the Portfolio plan?

Many thanks for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Thanks for giving me a shout on this thread, Guenter! It sounds like the original poster's question may be sorted, but for other folks and future thread reference:

If you plan on cancelling Creative Cloud subscription but have built websites with Muse that use fonts from Typekit, Typekit Support can change your account to a standalone font subscription. That subscription would provide the web font licensing and font hosting for your sites for as long as you'd like to keep using the fonts from Typ

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend to watch out at fonts.google.com for those two.

Download them and use them as self hosted webfonts.

To do this use Create Your Own @font-face Kits » Font Squirrel ​ (use Woff and SVG in the EXPERT mode) and import them via the text panel as self hosted webfonts. As they are open fonts from google font it should be no problem with licensing, I guess.

Then you are safe about that typekit (I call it an issue) .

Best Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

richardh57098679  wrote

My first question is:

After Muse cancels presumably the TypeKit fonts will still work based on the free plan?

there is no free plan for Muse

web hosting is the job of your host server... Adobe BC has free test pages that Muse can use so if you hosted the site as one of these it will stay up for a year as active then get archived i.e, yes it stays up

if you hosted with some 3rd party or fully lunched it on Abobe BC then the hosting cost are on going and nothing to do with Muse... of course you would not be able to make edits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understood it in a way, that the thread opener is afraid about the type kits free plan during the "normal" subscription time period.

As far as I understood the licensing from typekit, the fonts (Museo Sans (500/700) and Bebas Neue) get replaced by some default webfonts, once the subscription ends or gets terminated? Isn't that true?

The website keeps uploaded for ever, of course .

Best Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i read it as he thinks the typekit plan in Muse is the same as the free typekit plan they offer... this isn't so

the deal they have with Adobe is different to the one they have with Google and it doesn't auto jump across... even if the same fonts are in both plans

I agree with you that self hosting the fonts as google free plan is the best option as long as he does this before ending his Muse sub but otherwise I expect the fonts will be turned into Arial or some other default web safe font... have never tested this senario

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Ussnorway​, I agree with you.

Best Wishes,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typekit fonts, won’t work any more, when the subscription is cancelled.

„Bebas Neue“ is available as an „Edge“ font via Muse’s font menus. Edge fonts don’t expire. Edge fonts are a free service and not tied to a Creative Cloud account.

Unfortunately „Museo Sans“ isn’t available as an Edge font. But „Museo Sans“ isn’t THAT unique. You certainly will be able to replace it by a similar Edge font, for example „Open Sans“.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both fonts are available vis google fonts, though.

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone.

So, even though I have a Typekit free plan, they won't work on the website once the Muse subscription has stopped. I was thinking about buying the Portfolio Typekit plan but if Muse must be subscribed to then it's of course not worth doing this.

I have seen Museo Sans on Google Fonts but it refers me to Monotype, therefore not an open font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, they're free on Monotype.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is „free on Monotype“? Museo? And if: The system font or the web font? This is not the same!

And: What is a TypeKit free plan? Never heard of that. But that Pavel Homeriki​ already pointed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The free Typekit plan is shown below:

Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 11.44.33.png

TBH, it's not clear to me if they're system or web fonts on fonts.com - I think they're probably system fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest, to write an email to support@typekit.com, including a link to this thread.

I additionally would like to invite Liz, Typekit Support​ to have a look at this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, as I understand it, in Muse I can replace the fonts in this way:

- Bebas Neue from Typekit to Edge Web

- Museo Sans to Open Sans (or similar Edge Web font)

So, all fonts are Edge Web. And then re-publish to the server, then when the Museo subscription finishes nothing should change.

Does that sound right to you? I think this is much the easiest solution if so.

I understand from Adobe that now the Muse cancellation process has started I can't stop it and I must re-publish the site if I start the subscription again.

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Just make sure, the „Museo“ isn‘t used in your site any more.

Simply deinstall it. If there is „Museo“ still in your document, Muse will mark this text orange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome - thanks so much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for giving me a shout on this thread, Guenter! It sounds like the original poster's question may be sorted, but for other folks and future thread reference:

If you plan on cancelling Creative Cloud subscription but have built websites with Muse that use fonts from Typekit, Typekit Support can change your account to a standalone font subscription. That subscription would provide the web font licensing and font hosting for your sites for as long as you'd like to keep using the fonts from Typekit.

More information on the plan options and prices (outside of Creative Cloud) are listed at https://typekit.com/plans .  You can also reach our team with any questions at support@typekit.com.

Best,

-- liz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so it isn't automattic but possible... thanks for clearing that up Liz!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for that Liz.

However, I spoke to four separate people at Adobe Support (three on one call as I was passed around and including someone about subscriptions), and none gave me that solution. So, I changed the fonts to Edge Web fonts, sent the html to the client (in the US) who uploaded them for me and had to re-add additional tags, etc for other purposes. A lot of effort that wasn't necessary - not impressed.

So, thank you Liz, but too late - it might be worth teaching your customer support about Adobe products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for chiming in here, Lis!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines