Muse end of life solution needed from Adobe

Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent years using muse to develop sites and do extensive SEO. Thousand of dollars and hours trusting adobe. Now I have no need to pay for services I do not need and you do not support muse. Muse access should not be held hostage to force the purchase of other software that I do not have experience with and certainly have no need for. On-line is insufficient to keep sites up to date, change prices in apps, etc. I need to get a resolution or need to talk to someone in the legal department to contact me ASAP. It is one thing to have end of life and I understand that but to block the use of the end of life product after clients have developed web sites on a proprietary system is unacceptable and breaches your fiduciary duty.

The simple ethical and legally-appropriate solution is to grant access to prior users of muse so that sites that have already undergone development and valuable SEO can be maintained and updated. Users such as me have spent thousands of hours and great expenses to use the product which is so proprietary that it cannot be imported to other development platforms such as Joomla or WordPress.   Adobe has abandoned its faithful clients and greedily now requires them to purchase a full creative cloud subscription in order to use their sites that are now held hostage for ransom.  That leaves wise clients the sole remaining option of filing a major federal lawsuit if the situation is not amicably addressed by Adobe.  As a long term subscriber, it gives me no satisfaction to take the latter route.

Rick Nelson (iluvit)

TOPICS
End of life

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , Dec 14, 2019 Dec 14, 2019
"Adobe should allow access to Muse" And they do.  Muse and other EOL products are in the paid All Apps Plan.   EOL software cannot be sold as a single app because that would imply that it's still in active development which it's not.  The whole point is to discourage people from using Muse, not promote it.   I appreciate that you can't justify the cost of an All Apps Plan just to keep up with one  webstie.  But AFAIK, that's the only way to get Muse.  And beyond March 2020, that option could...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. This is not a direct pipeline to Adobe.  This is a user-to-user forum.

2.  Muse hasn't stopped working.  Most Muse generated sites are still working fine and will probably continue to work for a few more years if not longer. 

3. Adobe ended development of many products and.services over the years. Muse is not the first nor will it be the last.  Times change.  Technologies change.  And the software that people use must also change.  It's tough, I know.  But you must accept it, adapt and move on.

4.  Muse was one web authoring product out of many.  If you chose Muse to build everything for you, that was entirely your decision.  Nobody forced you to use Muse.

5. If you learn nothing else from this experience, it's to remain flexible.  Don't rely on a single software or service to do everything for you.  That's a recipe for failure.  Instead, be a web professional.  Stay on top of emerging technologies.  Learn to work with standards compliant code, not machine generated garbage.   And be familiar with multiple tools of your trade.  The more skills and awareness you bring to the table,  the more freedom and success you'll have in the future.   

Best of luck!

Nancy O'Shea, Adobe Product User & Community Professional
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2019 Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you missed the entire point in your rant and lecture.

The point is that for those who built sites with Muse. Adobe should allow access to muse. They need not support the end of life products. Muse is so proprietary in code that it is not possible to do anything at all with the sites except for very basic in-browser editing of some text. Third party apps for the most part like pricing tables cannot be edited this way. 

Who cares if they ended photoshop or any other products. The end products of those are not held hostage as with muse.

The suggestion that sites should be designed in a diversified fashion is absurd.  Should I desine every site in Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal, and Dreamweaver just in case on version goes bellyup?

For an individual designer who may only have one site it is ridiculous to require a CC subscription for all CC products.  This is no way suggests that Adobe should support anything.  It is about access and avoiding loss of all one's work that may have been many years in the making.

Reserve your lectures for someone else please,  You do not know anything about me. I do not design for other people. I suspect that in reality, those who design for others love this situation because they get to be paid all over again to re-do many sites for customers who have Muse sites.  That may or may not apply to you.

Good day

Rick Nelson

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 14, 2019 Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Adobe should allow access to Muse"

And they do.  Muse and other EOL products are in the paid All Apps Plan.   EOL software cannot be sold as a single app because that would imply that it's still in active development which it's not.  The whole point is to discourage people from using Muse, not promote it.  

I appreciate that you can't justify the cost of an All Apps Plan just to keep up with one  webstie.  But AFAIK, that's the only way to get Muse.  And beyond March 2020, that option could potentially be removed.  So you need to rebuild your site.  Muse alternatives have been discussed at length since last March when  Adobe first announced the EOL. 

In the meantime, you can export your Muse projects to HTML and open the native files in Pinegrow or other code editor.  Unfortunately a 7 day trial subscription won't give you access to EOL products like Muse.  So you would  need to pay for a month-to-month All Apps Plan and cancel it within the 14 day grace period.  See subscription & cancellation terms below.

https://www.adobe.com/legal/subscription-terms.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy, I agree with Rick that you have totally missed the point. If I buy a car and then later it becomes extinct, for a long while I can buy new (then used) parts and still get help and advice (unless i bought a Daewoo, and we wouldn't want to compare Adobe with them now would we). Adobe have dropped the ball on this, they PROMISED us that they were working on a replacement, and, as late as last year, I had a conversation with a tech who promised me that would be the case. Well they haven't. I always said it would be a sad day when the design software industry was monopolied by one company and this has proved to be the case. We build and manage sites for clients, can we bill Adobe for all the work we will have to undertake to re-build them as we sure as hell can't charge the clients!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

The same old answers do not rise to the level of a satisfactory answer. It is essentially "pay us 50 bucks a month to access all your design work and thousands of hours of SEO or build your site over and start over from scratch".  Of course, you lose all the SEO and any domain authority built over time.  A lot of this I believe boils down to Adobe and commercial designers do not want such software that enables the average Joe to design their sites without significant coding experience.  I am sure glad that I only built one major site with Muse, though it was extensive.  The best thing for folks to do is to not mess with adobe at all and design sites with sp_pagebuilder on the Joomla platform which is not going away and has virtually limitless 3rd party extensions.   It has very good WYSIWYG front end design function. I think Adobe has significant legal exposure because of how they have handled this.  It is not too much to ask to allow access to your own work product and if they want to limit that access to existing site designs.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are plenty of online DIY web authoring solutions available --  Wix, Webflow, Squaerspace and frameworks like WordPress and Drupal that can do so much more than Muse could.   Muse couldn't compete with other products and services.   So Adobe did the right thing in ending Muse.  If anything, they probably should have ended it sooner. 

Google couldn't care less which software you use to create sites.  If you manage your URLs correctly, your SEO won't be tarnished at all.  Developers re-build sites all the time.  That's what server re-write rules are for.  Or keep the same URLs you had previously.  With Muse out of your way, you finally have some control over site structure that you didn't have before. 

In the longrun, this Muse EOL will be a blessing for everyone.  You just need to focus less on what you're losing (if anything) and more on what you'll be gaining from other solutions.

Good luck!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try telling the client that we have rewrites to do and they have to pay for it. Regardless of others advances the way I see it we have been left in the lurch and we have to redesign using another platform at our expense. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try telling the client that we have rewrites to do and they have to pay for it.

You mean you don't routinely charge for the work you do?  I bill clients at my hourly rate.   And yes, the client pays for revisions and updates no matter which software or platform we use. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not for clients. I work only for myself and that was clear in my earlier posts. Of course, this situation for those of you desperate to protect your turf and pad your pockets building new sites.  Now your motive is quite obvious.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't resonding to you.  My reply was aimed at I_m_getting_sick_of_this who like many used Muse for client projects.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Nancy - obviously i charge clients for revisions and updates. That is NOT the point here. As time goes on and technology moves forward, existing Muse sites will become obsolete as their software updates are now finished. At some stage (maybe later next year or the year after), to keep up with technology, we will have to Totally rebuild these sites with whatever is the latest technology at that time. It will be difficult to charge clients for a total rebuild using a new software platform, (not just updates) that, is what I am saying.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are stuck even more than I am. It would be a tough sell to tell clients to pay for a rebuild on another platform if you were the one who chose the platform. It would be a little different story if the client wanted it built specifically on Muse.  I am sorry that you are in a difficult situation and may have many of these sites out there. For me, at least it is limited to my main site.

Good Luck

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate that thanks, shame Adobe do not have the same compassion, but then again, there is no room for that when shareholders demand higher returns ........

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, they do not offer access unless you bend to their extortion terms of a monthly subscription to the CC.  I do not need their help or support. Only access to be able to update things. In-browser editing is limited and does not allow changes to many things that need to remain current.  I have grown tired of hearing the same old excuses for Adobe.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe Adobe has provided an option. You can export to HTML and then use Dreamweaver to do your site edits just as easily. Just need to write and read the code instead of depending on Code generated by some software. There are plenty of code generators available as well. Even Notepad, can get you a long way towards editing HTML.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The key thing to remember is that code editors like Dreamweaver, Notepad, Atom, Sublime, Brackets or VS Code give you total control over your documents. Muse produces machine generated code that is not human friendly to work with.   Given the choice, I prefer to use code editors, not generators.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I prefer Adobe NOT making us a lot opf work and hassle we can't charge clients for. By all means use Dreamweaver etc, but leave option of Muse ALONE. How about Adobe stick to its commitments!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What if you dont want to learn how to code, which was one of the most compelling reasons for using Muse in the first place!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines