I just updated a muse site - i launched over a year ago. I have never had issues with the responsive/mobile version - until now.
It loads in chrome (mobile) but not in Safari.
How can i fix this?
www.strangecranium.com is the website.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Your site is not built responsively to fit on all devices. You have used an adaptive approach -- different pages for different devices. Unfortunately this is no longer viable. The best long-term solution is to rebuild your site responsively without the redirect script.
Namcy is wrong.
What is correct: The newest(!) Chrome browser on latest Android systems don’t allow redirects any more. And since your site isn’t responsive (but adaptive) it won’t be shown on these (actually very, very rare) systems any more. To correct this you are now forced to create a responsive site (Thank you Google for pressure us to do so, abusing its market power!)
But this wasn’t your question. You told us, your site „loads in Chrome, but not in Safari“. Your site loads in Safari with no issues, as far as I can see here.
Redirect scripts are a security problem for everyone. It's not just Chrome on Android although they took the first steps to stop it. I don't think they'll be the last.
Unfortunately the OPs site contains multiple code errors -- possibly from widgets and/or manual code insertions.
Also several page load errors are reported when I try to test the site on
It seems to be an issue in the US only. The site loads fine overseas on all devices and in all browsers on phones.
The issue is JUST in the US, and only for AT&T and Verizon service on phones - and Only using safari as a browser.
When your IP address is unblocked, you should test your site with the 2 URLs I posted above just to be sure everything is working as it should. A failure at the server level that only effects certain regions on certain data plans with certain browsers sounds a bit too incredible to believe. But then "perfect storms" do happen sometimes.
And again: This isn’t the solution of the problem.
But you never won’t understand …
Go on killing this forum with your „contributions“ …
So this is what seems to be the issue - according the hosting/service provider.
AT&T and Verizon in the US had a massive blackout. When the service was restored the usage flooded (or something like that) - and over-rided some protocol that caused a large number of IP addresses to be blacklisted. Ours was one of them JUST on AT&T and Verizon phones - and ONLY with Safari. The site works fine on Iphones with chrome - and on android devices.
It is NOT the redirect code.
It is NOT the plugins i am using
At least that is what i have been told after 3 hours on the phone with both Adobe and Register.com.
Only time will tell when they tell me our IP address is back on the white list - and it works again.
If it does not work - that means their explanation was a bunch of huey.
Thanks for the input.
Just as I told you, Nancy: The site works fine on iOS. And exactly this was the question.
Yes, I understand Gunther. But on this side of the pond, the site is broken.