Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My website no longer accepts a clean URL

Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here's the story:

I created a website - humlessrugby.com -  and uploaded it to the web using an FTP client. When that URL was typed into the browser, it used to come up with my website without any issue. Now, however, whenever I use that clean URL, it comes up with a 404 error. I've checked with the server and they say that there is no issue with it. I've now discovered that if you type in the full address - humlessrugby.com/index.html - it will come up with my home page without any issue.

Does anyone know what the issue might be? Why was it working with the clean URL before, but now I have to type in the whole thing to get a response?

Much appreciated in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Hi scotts,

As per your description, I tried pulling your site humlessrugby.com directly in the browsers and it gave exact error -404. I need to put "/index.html" at the end of the URL to open the site.

I need to put "/index.html" at the end of the URL to open the site.

This is a quite unusual issue, and I lies only at the server end. 

As you said the site has been uploaded via FTP option, I assume that it is uploaded to a third party FTP host.

In this case, this lies on your host and you should reac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi scotts,

As per your description, I tried pulling your site humlessrugby.com directly in the browsers and it gave exact error -404. I need to put "/index.html" at the end of the URL to open the site.

I need to put "/index.html" at the end of the URL to open the site.

This is a quite unusual issue, and I lies only at the server end. 

As you said the site has been uploaded via FTP option, I assume that it is uploaded to a third party FTP host.

In this case, this lies on your host and you should reach out to them, most probably they would be making some changes in the DNS.

Please update this thread if issue your gets resolved along with the solution.

Regards,

Ankush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I use Bluehost and their customer service is absolutely useless (I didn't choose them - my client did as it is their host). Is there anything I can do to fix the DNS settings without having to go through the host?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

scotts77376833  wrote

Unfortunately, I use Bluehost and their customer service is absolutely useless (I didn't choose them - my client did as it is their host). Is there anything I can do to fix the DNS settings without having to go through the host?

no bluehost is a wordpress server and your only options are;

• get them to fix it or
  • pick someone else to host the site

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines