• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mystery vertical space on page

Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thumbnail page of my portfolio site consists of a pinned header (the header is on the master page) and a borderless grid of thumbnails that is scrollable. For whatever unknown reason there is now a space between the header and the thumbnail grid, and also one at the bottom of the the grid. I cannot get rid of this space.

In Muse there is no space at all showing and it looks good. Whatever I try I cannot get rid of these spaces. At best I can get rid of one of them but not both. I've tried moving the grid upwards (which only serves to cover the upper part of the top row of thumbnails beneath the header, even though in Muse it doesn't - only in preview), setting page height in Page Properties to the exact grid height plus header height, and so on, but with no luck. I've tried setting the grid (which consts of grouped thumbnails in image placement rectangles/containers) as a footer item and non-footer item but still with no luck. I've run-out of ideas! Ever time I preview the page following a new change it takes several minutes for Muse to send the page to the browser, which doesn't help.

This is only a problem in some breakpoints. In the breakpoints where it isn't an issue I've compared the settings to the problem breakpoints but cannot identify anything different. I'm stumped! I'm pretty sure the page worked fine up until I decided to add another row of thumbnails to it. I've tried shifting the Bottom of the Page and Bottom of the Browser bars up and down and still no luck.

Please could you offer possible solutions to this problem? It's the last problem I have before I can upload the beta version of my site! Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Do the following: Reduce your existing site to only one typical page, containing only a few elements, which demonstrate your issue. (This is necessary, because it saves download- and analysing-time). Upload this .muse file (without assets) to Dropbox or a similar file sharing service and provide the download link here. Then we can have a closer look. Thus, time consuming „question and answer“ games or pure guessing can be considerably reduced."

(c)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your offer to help, Pavel, but I'd have to make a lot of changes to the page before I could upload it here so I'm unable to do that (I'd basically need to create a new page based on the layout of the current one). This is primarily because I do not want my page associated with the name I use here. This might seem odd but there is a very good personal security issue as the reason for this.

However, I exported the site and played a little with the code in Notepad. I altered the "verticalspacer"/"data-offset-top="0"" (I added the 0) value and it made a difference, although it left a larger space at the bottom of the page after I reduced the mystery space at the top. If I could please have some suggestions as to what to adjust outside Muse I would be very grateful. Preferably within Muse but I'm happy to jiggle with some code in Notepad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please cooperate! If you can’t show us a .muse file demonstrating your issue, every letter, we type in here, is wasted time!

Delete al unnecessary pages, elements, replace images if necessary and give us the page.

If you aren’t willing to invest 5 minutes to reduce your file – well, I think, you have to live with your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The page really is as basic as I described. I've actually managed to correct the problem in one breakpoint, and now only have a few more to go. What did I do to correct it? I'm not really sure. I just kept changing basic functions and their combinations, such as sticky header in Page Properties, and ticking and un-ticking the Footer option for the specific group of images (placements) in question, and also moving the page/browser length lines (with and without footer ticked). So, it really isn't a complicated problem and although it would make things easier for my advisers, creating a Muse file to show you the page isn't strictly necessary as it's basic stuff we are dealing with here. Furthermore, if I were to create a special Muse file removing all actual recognisable content from my website it would alter the page too much to make any advice valid, most probably.

My question is really what are the most basic, simple things that control the things I'm describing here; what should I check/alter in the first instance in order to address this issue, please? If the first things to look at do not work then that would indeed strengthen the case that a Muse file is needed. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree with . In addition to the proposed method, there is only one more. It is called a magic ball.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you supply more information?

• What do you mean by scrollable? As you refer to breakpoints, I'm assuming you are referring to the fact that you can scroll up/down in the browser and see the images grid while the header remains in place?
  • Do all images that are horizontally aligned against the header have the same Y-value?
  • How did you insert the images? (there are different ways of adding images to a site... you can make them background files in rectangles, insert them in placeholder frames, or place them with the loaded graphics icon.
  • What Resize setting is applied to the images? Are you ensuring you are only resizing 'width' and not 'width and height'?
  • What Resize setting is applied to the header elements? Again is this only set to 'width' type resizing?

Please consider spending a little time to build a small sample site as others have suggested... (you can even just insert some random Stock images).

• Some screenshots with random images placed like you did the thumbnails in the real site and the pinned header.
  • and if possible upload the .muse sample for us to look at.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cari Jansen​: Believe me Pavel Homeriki​ and I deal with these kinds of issues 20 times a day (if it’s enough) and we insist on a simplified .muse file, because there literally are tons of reasons causing the described issue. And, when answering, often we get the answer „Doesn’t work for me!“. This causes new questions and new answers and so on. We are willing (and capable) to assist, as everyone can see, who joins this forum, but we haven’t the time for smalltalk.

A .muse file probably(!) would clear the case within minutes/hours. Deleting all pages but one, deleting the images within its containers, replacing text by „Lorem Ipsum“ is a matter of minutes! Doing this has the advantage, that the creator of the site is able to find the issue by himself – and that would be the most effective way of assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Cari, Günter, and Pavel. Günter, my instincts were correct: it was a very basic, simple issue and not one that needed any in-depth investigation. I have corrected the problem; it was caused by "Sticky Footer" being ticked in Page Properties while at the same time the "Footer" option was also selected (for the same group of elements). I un-selected Sticky Footer while maintaining Footer and that solved the issue.

The reason why I didn't realise this as the solution previously is because Muse is so incredibly, painfully, irritatingly sluggish, and largely unresponsive (to inputs). I have read forum threads on Muse's sluggishness that go back several years. It's a shame that it is still an issue and makes the software largely unusable. I certainly will not be using it again once my current project is complete. I honestly think that Adobe doesn't care about Muse. Using Muse has been an entirely joyless and painful experience for me.

I'm grateful for your help and happy that my time with Muse is very close to an end. It would have been less taxing and more time-efficient if I had enrolled in a college course to learn web programming properly rather than having relied upon Muse to create my website. To finish, the exported website I made is slow loading (not because it is data-heavy), and does not provide a good experience for the user. This is not my fault. I am a non-programmer that used software aimed at non-programmers and the result is disappointing and amateurish. I think Adobe wants people to be forced to rely on template sites and expensive pros while remaining ignorant. I hope my complaints will be received in the productive way they are intended. Muse sounds like a good idea. In reality, however, it is horrendous.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course: Muse is the culprit!

As you made clear, you don’t know Muse at all. The only thing you know: „It is not my fault!“ and „Muse, in reality, it is horrendous“.

I’d never dare to judge an application that way, if I made clear all over this thread, that I have no idea, how it works.

And it is doubtlessly clear: „the software is largely unusable“. We all know that. Especially the designers, who created all these ugly sites: https://musewidgets.com/collections/site-of-the-day

But it is up to you. Have a nice time anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You managed to solve your problem in Muse, but the way you solved it does not look like a technically correct solution, although it works. Most likely your problem is caused by the general misunderstanding of screen resolutions and in what proportions the web site should be created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines