Highlighted

Need to create a tinker-proof website

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A former client has asked me to redo her website after someone else ran it for a while and made unwanted changes. In the past, whenever she wanted to add new text or photos she'd send them to me and I'd do the updates. This was a pain for both of us. My client is not HTML-savvy (and doesn't want to be), but she would like to be able to do some light editing -- ie., adding/changing text, adding/removing photos. How can I set up a site that will allow her to do this without messing up the layout? The site is hosted on GoDaddy; they used to have a method of doing this kind of editing within a browser, but now they're steering everyone to their templates. I've been playing with the templates, and it looks like it's going to be a major headache to create the layout she needs. I'd rather just do the whole thing in Muse if I can figure out how to let her edit pages. TIA!

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Ussnorway | Most Valuable Participant

give the client a copy of the .muse file and she can make her changes + you can fix what ever she does wrong by reloading your copy of the file.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Need to create a tinker-proof website

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A former client has asked me to redo her website after someone else ran it for a while and made unwanted changes. In the past, whenever she wanted to add new text or photos she'd send them to me and I'd do the updates. This was a pain for both of us. My client is not HTML-savvy (and doesn't want to be), but she would like to be able to do some light editing -- ie., adding/changing text, adding/removing photos. How can I set up a site that will allow her to do this without messing up the layout? The site is hosted on GoDaddy; they used to have a method of doing this kind of editing within a browser, but now they're steering everyone to their templates. I've been playing with the templates, and it looks like it's going to be a major headache to create the layout she needs. I'd rather just do the whole thing in Muse if I can figure out how to let her edit pages. TIA!

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Ussnorway | Most Valuable Participant

give the client a copy of the .muse file and she can make her changes + you can fix what ever she does wrong by reloading your copy of the file.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 06, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Editing pages in inbrowserediting is a breeze as long as you keep in mind, that there are no user levels.

With username and password everybody can change everything.

Adding pictures is not really possible without a CMS like publiz or a real CMS like WP or Joomla or else.

Your client would be able to edit text (same with text - adding text could cause some more work from your side), pictures (within the limits).

I have in mind some restrictions from GoDaddy but not sure if this depends to all websites, done with muse.

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Uwe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2017 1
LEGEND ,
Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem of building a 'tinker proof' web site has been around since the web began, and has never been solved.

Once the client has access to anything, sooner or later they will do something wrong and expect you to fix it, (free of charge). This will happen no matter how you set the site up, and irrespective of every measure in place to stop it happening.

Unless a client is willing to learn the basics, (and even then something will go wrong) it is an accepted fact that everyone learns to live with, and will often happen within the first few changes clients make.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2017 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2017 1