Highlighted

Need to update multiple assets

Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, really hoping someone can help me find a simple way to update multiple assets in Muse. My external hard drive where all my files were stored recently decided to crash and burn on me. And no, I didn't have a backup. Stupid I know, but there you go.

Sent it off and have recovered all my files, they are now residing on my new external hard drive as well as backed up to cloud storage. Problem is the path to the folder containing all those files is now different. I just need to relink to the new folder but can't figure out how to do it. I'll go nuts if I have to relink every individual asset. Please tell me there's an easy way to do this. 

Much appreciated. 🙂

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Need to update multiple assets

Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, really hoping someone can help me find a simple way to update multiple assets in Muse. My external hard drive where all my files were stored recently decided to crash and burn on me. And no, I didn't have a backup. Stupid I know, but there you go.

Sent it off and have recovered all my files, they are now residing on my new external hard drive as well as backed up to cloud storage. Problem is the path to the folder containing all those files is now different. I just need to relink to the new folder but can't figure out how to do it. I'll go nuts if I have to relink every individual asset. Please tell me there's an easy way to do this. 

Much appreciated. 🙂

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 08, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a screenshot showing the panel with all your resources?

Does relinking the first one offfer to relink them all ? after a referesh or a close-open again?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 11, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assets panel.png Hi Eric, thanks for chipping in. 

Relinking the first one did relink several others but not all of them. I suspect that's because a lot of them are within different folders, but all of those folders are within one single folder. And none of the folder names or file names have changed. So the original path would be drive name/main folder/individual folder/file. The only difference now is the path to the 'main' folder has changed but within that main folder every individual folder/file is the same. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 11, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was the old path?

And what is the new path?

Can you use your operating system's file manager to rename the main folder so it is consistent with the way things were set-up previously?

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 11, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your images are now all stored in one new folder (as you write) whereas they initially have been situated in different folders, simply select all images in the "Assets" panel right click onto the selection and choose the command "Relink …". Then you can link image after image. nfortunately it is for security reasons (equally named images) not possible, to relink all images with one click.

You normally don’t need to re-assign the original assets at all. Why?

If you place an asset in Muse, the image is stored within the .muse file in its original size. The question marks (= "missing assets") in the assets panel only indicate, that the original files on your disk aren’t accessible any more. But this is only relevant, if you want to modify the original files (in Photoshop for example). For layouting reasons, you don’t need the original images any more, once they are placed in Muse, and you don’t have to fear any quality regression. In this case, relinking the images isn’t necessary at all.

If you lost all originals and want to retrieve your images from the .muse file, you have two possibilities:

• You simply can export your site as HTML (menu "File/Export as HTML …"). In this case, all images will be (a) resampled to the precise pixel size, in which you placed them on your site and (b) stored in this optimized dimensions within the exported "images" folder.
  • If you don’t want the images to be resampled during output, simply check your site document page by page and resize each and every image to 100 % by dragging one of its corner, until their tool tip shows "100%". You can also check the original size of each image by pausing your cursor on the image icon in the "Assets" panel, checking the tooltip, which shows the "Original Asset Size" and entering these vaues in the "Tramsfom" panel. These procedures are not necessary for SVG and AI graphics, because they areressolution independent vector formats. While resizing the images to 100 %, it does no matter, when the images overlap each other. When you are done with resizing, choose menu "File/Export As HTML …". Now all images are exported in their original size and quality to your local disk, and you can find them in the exported "images" folder. When you are done, take care, not to save the .muse file in order not to overwrite your original website layout.

So, I think, there is no reason to become desparate, even if you have lost the original asset files. 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 11, 2019 0