Back in 2017 I made a training module with multiple dropdowns, accordions and so on. It has worked great since I've posted it on the web for my customer.
Now, 3 years later they need updates. So I opened up the Muse file and made changes. I exported the entire site and previewed it in Edge and IE. Everything is fine. But in Chrome, I'm getting this error message:
None of the accordions work and the dropdowns don't work either. I looked in the export folder and all CSS and JS files are there like they normally are.
I'm not sure what's going on because this is the exact same Muse file from 2017 so you'd think it would work.
Any idea what that error message means and how to fix it?
Muse is discontinued software. It hasn't been updated in a long time. Eventually, all sites built with Muse will begin to fail in one way or another because the web and browsers are constantly changing. You really should re-build with modern software.
That said, what's the URL to your site please?
Is the site hosted on an HTTPS (secure) server?
Which widgets did you use for those accordions, etc...
Yes I'm aware that Muse is discontinued. I'm simply trying to avoid having to rebuild it. I can't send you the link because it's on a secure and private site.
Well, a private website - that´s not easy to help. Anyway, like Nancy asked for widgets to use accordeons or anything else. Mostly 3rd party widgets are causing this difficulty, and because Muse is EOL so are most of the 3rd party widgets as well. Does this help?
Absolutely none of the widgets I used in 2017 were third-party. I never believed in them and tried to keep it simple by using only what Muse has to offer.
Did you carefully read my original post? I NEVER had a single problem with the original Muse files and exports back in 2017. Not a one. Everything worked flawlessly. Only now, 3 years later and opening the exact same Muse files from 2017, have I now come across these errors. Which is why I marked her reply as correct because it makes perfect sense. The browser has changed since then and it's just not reading the exported files correctly like it did 3 years ago.
BTW, all my Muse sites at as of this reading, work without any issue. As well as the recent updated ones.
I actually did rename the file from like:
2017 Muse File to
2017 Muse File April 2020 Updates
It didn't help. That's why I'm puzzled about this because I continue to make slideshows and such with Muse and then iframe the HTML/CSS/JS files into the ASPX page and it works great - I've never had an issue like this.
So it might be the iframe itself? What I read here in this forum, iframes are not that reliable as one wants them to be. Maybe again here, Nancy could shed some light into this as a coder? What is that ASPX page?
Depending on what you need to edit, in my experience, Pinegrow was able to open a exported html from muse perfectly. Of course PG is very different from muses way to create sites but for editing it might be helpful.
PG, unfortunately offers 7 days testing only. No I am not from PG.
"What is that ASPX page?"
ASPX is a Microsoft asp.net coding environment. It's commonly used on MS SharePoint, etc...
If you mix a secure site with non-secure assets (HTTPS with HTTP), most browsers will block the non-secure content. Is there any chance that is happening on the server? Does your iframe point to HTTPS?
I appreciate you both replying to this. You're not understanding this though. The full blown site I talked about above the 2017 one was NOT an iframe - it was a complete Muse file with dropdowns, accordions, and so on. The site was full-blown. That's the one that I'm talking about, the one I made in 2017.
What I meant about iframes is that on OTHER sites on the company portal, I have created OTHER Muse files with just a slideshow of photos and so on. I exported that file to HTML, uploaded the files to the server, and then iframed THAT site into an existing SharePoint page, which is ASPX. I've been doing this for a long time and trust me - it works beautifully
[Personal remarks removed by moderator.] You'd be amazed at what you can do, especially when you're forced to figure out work arounds for things like I have with Muse HTML files and iframing them onto other web pages. It's important to try to think out of the box, which I'm known to do successfully. If it works - great! If not, try something else.
Also Nancy - FWIW - there's a very bad spelling mistake on your company home page. [Remarks edited by moderator.]