• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PHP FAQ for Muse Synchronized Text

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 19, 2014 Sep 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This document contains answers to frequently asked questions about the PHP requirements for the Synchronized Text feature available in Muse 2014.2 and later.

What is PHP and why is Muse creating PHP files?

PHP is a server-side scripting language. It is often used to dynamically build web pages. You can learn more about PHP here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHP

If you use the Content panel to tag text frames in Muse 2014.2 or later (also referred to as the 'Synchronzied Text' feature), Muse will output any page that uses Synchronized content as a PHP file when you upload to your webhost using FTP. This is done so the website can contain just 1 copy of the shared data, which is dynamically inserted into the pages that use it when those pages are rendered. This allows editing Synchronized Content using Adobe's InBrowser Editing technology, so the Synchronized content can be edited once and update everywhere on your website where the Synchronized Content has been reused.

I tried to upload to my site with Muse's FTP, but I got a warning about lack of PHP support. What does that mean?

When uploading via FTP, Muse attempts to verify that your web hosting server supports the technology needed to make the Synchronized Text feature work for your site visitors. If your host does not support PHP at all, or only supports a very old version of PHP, Muse will disable PHP generation and provide a warning during the upload process.

What is an .htaccess file and why is Muse creating one?

An .htaccess file is used by most web servers to configure page redirects and control other options. You can learn more about .htaccess files here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.htaccess

If Muse generates PHP files for your site, it will also try to redirect any request for your old page(i.e. mysite.com/about.html) to the new php page(i.e. mysite.com/about.php). It does this using the .htaccess file.

I tried to upload to my site with Muse's FTP, but I got a warning about lack of .htaccess support. What does that mean?

When using PHP files, Muse attempts to use an forward any links to your old pagename.html file to your new pagename.php file. This is done using an .htaccess file. If Muse detects that redirects are not working on your web host, Muse will disable PHP generation so you won't end up with broken links. You can enable the Synchronized Text PHP feature again later in the Site properties when you are uploading to a webhost with PHP and .htaccess support.

What version of PHP is required to support the Synchronized Text feature?

Currently, Muse requires PHP version 5.1 for dynamic Synchronized Text support.

My website hosting provider doesn't provide PHP but I want to use the In-Browser Editing tool to edit Synchronized Text on my website. What should I do?

You should contact your hosting provider and ask them for help getting PHP working on your site, or consider switching to a hosting provider that does support PHP.

Can I set a preference so Muse doesn't generate PHP?

Yes. Within the Site Properties dialog in Muse, if you turn off the checkbox 'Enable for Synchronized Text' in the IBE section, Muse will generate .html files instead of .php files. You can turn this back on in the future to take advantage of the ability to use Adobe's In-Browser Editing to edit Synchronized Text in one place, and update all uses.

Does Muse generate PHP files when publishing to Adobe Business Catalyst?

No. Adobe Business Catalyst supports the same features using different technology.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2016 Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Useful info but not actionable.  I was looking for what Muse needs in a .htaccess file, so I could control it and my other custom code in it.  It seems to have over written my other code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines