Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Prevent Muse from changing CSS

Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I have a script hosted on my websever which kind of misfunctions due to a part of my CSS.

It's a PHP based comment script called Hashover v2.0. It is not able to display text as bold and italics when using formatting. It's able to display other formatting like underline. It happens when using Markdown as well as the other mode of formatting. When I contacted the developer, he found that that there was a problem with my CSS file that was preventing the bold and italics to be formatted. I removed the troublesome part and the formatting was working fine.

The problem is, now, every time I publish my website, I have to edit that part of the CSS and I am currently in a developing mode and thus, I've to make and publish frequent changes. So, is there anything I can do to prevent Muse from chaging that part of CSS every time?

The discussion with the developer goes here: https://www.github.com/jacobwb/hashover-next/issues/229

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

How about creating a 2nd external CSS file on the server with your corrected code and adding a link below your Muse generated CSS.  If it's below the Muse code, it will load last and take priority over that which came before it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Hrishikesh,

Unfortunately there isn't a way you can keep the changes forever as you will be exporting your site again and again as HTML and then making the changes.

My best suggestion would to be use two versions of the HTML of your .muse site.

the one  in which you have made changes for CSS, and other which you have just recently exported.

Later you only have to copy and paste the modified code into your recent file.

This s obviously not a solution, but I am sure will help you in reducing the pain a little.

Thanks!

Ankush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer. That's something close to what I'm doing now. I just thought that there might be some better way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about creating a 2nd external CSS file on the server with your corrected code and adding a link below your Muse generated CSS.  If it's below the Muse code, it will load last and take priority over that which came before it.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I add the link below the Muse generate CSS file, won't I have to do it everytime I export the site as the file will be overwritten and thus, the link will be lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not if it's an external file on your server that Muse doesn't generate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2018 Jun 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, but, I haven't got your point completely yet.

I understood that I have to make another CSS file with the correct code and upload it to my server. I didn't understand the link placing part. Where exactly do I have to place the link?

What I have understood by now is that, I have to place the link to the new CSS file in the original one generated by Muse, and which according to me will be overwritten every time Muse will publish the new code.

Can you please, clarify this a bit? It'd be of great help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add an HTML object and type

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="assets/mycss.css">

From the file menu, select Add Files for Upload and choose mycss.css.

It is important to include it with 'assets/' since the files for upload are in that folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh! Now I see what you meant! That works as expected! Thanks a lot!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm coming to the party late but if you place the css in the HTML for <head> section of the page properties, either on the page where the code is installed or on the master page, it will take precedence over the Muse-generated CSS. If you want to make certain, you can use the !important keyword in the declarations.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another way of doing it, thanks for letting us know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

another way to skin the cat is to add a graphic style class to any Muse object... name it

then add your custom code to (just) that style by calling its name in the head matadata tag

Screenshot (333).png

Screenshot (334).png

not something most Muse users will ever need but we may as well post the full set of options for ref

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines