• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Can't copy BPANode from itself"

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a project for a client. I tried adding a vertical menu at a breakpoint to create an accordion menu for mobile viewing. When I tried to add this menu, the program crashed with the error: "Can't copy BPANode from itself." I uninstalled and then reinstalled the program and ensured that I have the last version of Muse available. I've been using is for a couple weeks and this is the first problem like this I've had. Suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does your document crash, when adding a standard accordion?

If yes: Could you delete all pages and elements, which aren‘t necessary to demonstrate your issue, upload this .muse file to Dropbox or a similar file sharing service and post the download link here? Then we can have a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. At this point, it crashes when I try to add or do anything. Here is the link to the file: Dropbox - muse site.zip - Simplify your life

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 07, 2019 Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Evidentliy, your .muse document is heavily corrupted, but its content may be rescued.

Try this:

• Open the document and open an arbitrary page.
  • If you now hover with your cursor over the page, the cursor changes to an accordion icon. As soon as you click, Muse crashes showing the alert you already mentioned.
  • Instead of clicking onto the page, drag your cursor and the accordion will be placed as expected.
  • Now you can temporary continue „working“ with your page, but attention: Placing any widget will crash Muse again!
  • So, I think, you have no other choice, than re-building your site structure and „Paste in Place“ every element from your actual site onto the newly created site.

Having done that, all should work fine again!

PS: For reasons like this: Backup, backup, backup …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! Just to make sure I'm understanding, I need to recreate the site in muse or outside of muse to avoid something like this happening again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would re-build the site within Muse (if you have no other intentions, because Muse isn’t developed any more).

My proposal:

• Open your existing site and place the accordion by dragging (not clicking, which would crash Muse).
  • Delete this accordion, because it is part of the corruption.
  • Save the document under a new name, quit Muse, restart it and open the newly saved document.
  • Now create a complete new Muse document and re-build the page structure (masters, pages, page sizes, breakpoints) of your existing site. This should be easy, because your existing document shouldn’t crash any more as long as you don’t add new widgets.
  • Now open the „Layers“ panel of the new document, right click onto a layer and activate „Paste remembers Layer“, if it isn’t already activated. This ensures, that the  layers of your source document will be added to the new document automatically.
  • In the next step go to the actual master, copy all elements, go to the new master and „paste in place“ these elements. (You may use the command „Paste and create breakpoints“ too, if you like.)
  • Now copy all other page elements of your actual document onto the corresponding pages of the new document.
  • This sounds to be very laborious, but it will be done within minutes.

Now your site should work fine again and it should be possible to add new elements and widgets.

One more hint:

Backup your file quite often and use „Save As …“ instead of „Save“. The reason: For velocity reasons Muse doesn’t „clean up“ the document when it is „saved“. This happens – just like in many other applications – when using „Save As …“

A „Save As …“ will re-build the intern database and definitely discard all deleted elements (wich are only flagged as „unused“ when you simply perform a simple „Save“). By doing this, you will experience a considerable reduction of the file size especially of large .muse files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines