• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Some files on the server may be missing or incorrect. Clear browser cache and try again. If the problem persists please contact website author."

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've read a load about this "Some files on the server may be missing or incorrect. Clear browser cache and try again. If the problem persists please contact website author." issue.

I updated my site a bunch then I edited a really normal thing (some text) and suddenly it shows the wrong version of my site with that error message no matter what browser (I tried with a friend's computer too so it isn't a cache issue). I have looked in my library for the Library > Preferences > Adobe > Adobe Muse CC > 2018>AppPrefs.xml and I do not have this file!

I've seen widgets etc that remove the site error but the problem is that the site doesn't update and also shows the error. The thing that's wrong is that the menu on the homepage has reverted to default Arial font and an old version of the menu... So it's that the site seems to be uploading wrong AND showing an error.

Any help much appreciated!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Hi,

If none of the solutions provided here work, my next suggestion to you would be reaching out our Customer Care.​

Looks like some technical issue which can be resolved by a remote sharing session by one of our techs.

Regards,

Ankush

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Aug 05, 2023 Aug 05, 2023

I solved this problem by re-uploading the entire site using muse.  I also cleared the cache in my browser many times, but that did not solve the problem.  I did not want to re-upload my entire website, since it has many pictures and it would take a long time.  So I just made a small change to the master page (adding a space somewhere) and then saved the website.  Then I uploaded using MUSE (uploading changed pages only, but since I had changed the master this would mean all pages).  Now it is wo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey daniellas17,

From the above description I guess the issue is because your old site is not getting overwritten by the newer version, and hence you are getting error "some files on the server are missing".

As as you have also mentioned that the file Library > Preferences > Adobe > Adobe Muse CC > 2018>AppPrefs.xml is unavailable looks quite strange to me.

Could you please share a screen shot of this file path?

Alternatively, can you also try deleting all the files from your server first and then re-upload the whole site?

Thans,

Ankush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you

Yeah it looks like this. But even if I deleted the error  message it still wouldn't be saving correctly. The website is http://ruthnovaczek.com/ if that helps... And the menu is the problem. It shouldn't say 'about' 'bio' but just 'about' as it does on all the other pages. It doesn't say this in Muse either... it's weird because it's just doing something completely different from what i've laid it out as but only on the homepage

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 20.19.01.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the information.

Now, I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall muse from you system including the presences when asked so we can get the access to AppPrefs.xml file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've done this and it looks exactly the same... I've also put a free widget that stops all the error messages except it doesn't! THye're still there somehow...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The site looks correct here. The menu says „about“. „bio“ isn‘t present. Perhaps your hosting provider runs a native cache on his servers. In this case you should contact him. But – as I said – all seems correct here. No „Missing Files“ alert, no „bio“ as a menu entry.

Your screenshot above: What should it show? The files are no Muse files.

Concerning „I don’t have this appPrefs.xml file“:

I bet, you have it, but you probably are looking into the wrong „System“ folder (There are at least 3 of them on every Mac). If – against all experience – you really don’t have this file, simply modify the appPrefs.xml within the „2017“ folder and copy it from the „2017“ folder into the „2018“ folder.

Additionally read my answer here very carefully: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2408872

And here a screencast, which shows you, how to find the appPrefs.xml (Please note, that you have to look into the „2018“ folder not into the „2017“ folder as shown in the video):

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks! The homepage now seems OK but the rest of the site still comes up with the error message as far as I (and other people who have tested it) can tell...

The screenshot of the folder is for a 'cheat' that gets rid of this problem. You're meant to be able to locate AppPref.xml and change something in there but I can't see it...

The solution here with the widget also doesn't work. I've put it on every page and it doesnt help:

Thanks so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read my last post again. I modified it while you were posting your answer.

In this case, ask your provider, if he runs a server based cache. If yes, ask him to clear it.

How do you upload your files to the server?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks. I've already seen that thread and i tried

~/Library/Preferences/Adobe/Adobe Muse CC/2017.0/appPrefs.xml and it makes an 'error' noise and just takes me to a finder window with '2017.0' folder.

I use 'Upload to FTP Host...' and have never had this problem before. Is there a file I can change on my host Bluehost rather than with Muse?

There also seems to be a problem with the mobile site in that it shows a weird version of desktop but that may again be a server cache problem (though i've cleared it on my iPhone)

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If none of the solutions provided here work, my next suggestion to you would be reaching out our Customer Care.​

Looks like some technical issue which can be resolved by a remote sharing session by one of our techs.

Regards,

Ankush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Muse are you running? (I ask, because the 2018.x versions create this 2018 folder. If you don’t have it, maybe you are running an older Muse version.

Did you try to modify this appPref.xml within the 2017 folder, quit Muse and restart it?

If your provider uses a server side cache, I think, you can’t circumvent this. This has to be done by your provider.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Günther, I sent you a PM as I am suddenly getting this message again out of the blue. I even deleted my entire site and reuploaded with the advice given of changing the XML file. I am on the latest Muse version 2018.1. My website is http://www.lwdesign.co.za if you don't mind having a look for me please. Thanks, Lauren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 01, 2019 Oct 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Lauren!

You got an answer! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2023 Aug 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I solved this problem by re-uploading the entire site using muse.  I also cleared the cache in my browser many times, but that did not solve the problem.  I did not want to re-upload my entire website, since it has many pictures and it would take a long time.  So I just made a small change to the master page (adding a space somewhere) and then saved the website.  Then I uploaded using MUSE (uploading changed pages only, but since I had changed the master this would mean all pages).  Now it is working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines