• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Responsive scale boxes width and height?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2016 Feb 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was excited to try out the new responsive website ability in Adobe Muse. While it is a great step forward, I'm currently being met with lots of limitations and disappointment. I am drawing rectangles with photo background fills into my layout. I need to have their size scale both horizontally and vertically. However that option is always grayed out. It appears that you can only scale objects horizontally (width). If i place a pre-sized image onto the page, it can be scaled in both directions. Why can't I scale boxes in both directions (width & height)?? Am I missing something here?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 14, 2016 Feb 14, 2016

A rectangle in Muse has special behavior relative to anything placed on top of it. It will resize in height in response to a text frame or image that's placed on top growing taller in the browser, either due to fluid width content in a responsive design, or text edits via inbrowserediting.com. We likely look at enabling some psuedo magic combination of proportional height and resizing in response to the content for a future release, but for now that's not part of Muse.

However, you can still achi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 14, 2016 Feb 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A rectangle in Muse has special behavior relative to anything placed on top of it. It will resize in height in response to a text frame or image that's placed on top growing taller in the browser, either due to fluid width content in a responsive design, or text edits via inbrowserediting.com. We likely look at enabling some psuedo magic combination of proportional height and resizing in response to the content for a future release, but for now that's not part of Muse.

However, you can still achieve what you're looking for. An image frame supports fluid width and height. So, the "trick" for your situation is to use an image frame.

1) Place any image. Double click on it so the Control Strip says "Image" (and not "Image Frame") and hit delete.

You now have an empty, placeholder image frame.

2) Set the resize property to fluid width and height.

3) Via the fill panel apply your background fill image.

Be aware, that a text frame placed on top of this image will not cause the image to grow in height if the text frame grows in height due to browser resizing or text editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2016 Feb 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Zak. I was able to resolve the essence of my issue using your work around. However some other issues arose that made Muse an unpredictable solution. For what I needed to accomplish, I ended up moving over to Squarespace for now. Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2016 Sep 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to get buttons with rollover images to resize in mobile and desktop views?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 02, 2016 Sep 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Why not? there are many ways to achieve this!

One way:

• Place a simple rectangle, assign  a scaling behavior to it (responsive width, responsive width and height, …)

• Use the "Fill" command to fill the rectangle with an image.

• Assign different images (or no image) to the different "States".

• Assign a transition to your rectangle.

You can assign fill/transition by activating the rectangle clicking onto the word "Fill" on the left side of the upper command strip.

Now you can assign a link to this rectangle to make it work as a button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines