• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Responsive Strategy with HD mobile devices

Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am interested in suggestions for handling this situation. I have created a responsive site with 768 px as the point where everyone below 768 will view a mobile layout and everyone above 768 will view a desktop layout. This is fine for most devices.

But I now have a number of people using newer HD androids. where in portrait, views at 720, and will see the mobile layout. When viewing in landscape, views above the 768 threshold, and will see the desktop layout. This makes for an awkward viewing experience, I would like to keep this android user in same layout modes for both orientations. I thought about upping the threshold to 960 px.

Is 960 the right px threshold? Is there better ways to handle this situation? TIA for your thoughts.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

I use both.

In some cases I use a mobile layout from 960 towards smaller breakpoint as a fixed width layout and start from 768 with fixed width and fluid width breakpoints with a minimum of 320.

So 960 is, as you assumed as well for tablet users.

I don`t see a very big difference between those two - mostly hamburger menu (or the word MENU), a little more space but still scrolling necessity, so … .

This advice from above from Ussnorway​ was no link but I mentioned, in order to inform her, that her ad

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you use alternative layouts? Or just one layout?.

If you use alternative layouts, there was an advice from Ussnorway​ once, to use icons for different devices and link to each of it as desired from the user. So the user can choose what to look at.

Does this help?

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just one layout, I'll take a look at your link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a link or even better a .muse? Shared via dropbox or similar file share, please reduced to one page  so we could have a look what to do.

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Uwe for the offer to look at files, but my question is more of a general inquiry of how people handle this particular situation with responsive sites and HD devices, rather than the specific elements within the site itself.

My original thought of adjusting the breakpoint to a width that would keep a device within the same layout (mobile or desktop) regardless of orientation is not a fix that will work with all devices. My thought of adjusting the threshold to 960 px won't work for an ipad, but on the other hand, not expecting many tablet viewers.

This got me to thinking.... Is it worth the effort to build responsive breakpoints? Or would a better approach been to build alternative layouts: one for desktop, one for mobile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I use both.

In some cases I use a mobile layout from 960 towards smaller breakpoint as a fixed width layout and start from 768 with fixed width and fluid width breakpoints with a minimum of 320.

So 960 is, as you assumed as well for tablet users.

I don`t see a very big difference between those two - mostly hamburger menu (or the word MENU), a little more space but still scrolling necessity, so … .

This advice from above from Ussnorway​ was no link but I mentioned, in order to inform her, that her advices are being spread all over this forum. Also, if she reaches this information, she has maybe some more advices as well.

It is always good to have more than two eyes on a philosophical question.

This advice though works only with adaptive websites as these sites have www.yourdomain.com/phone or …/tablet or …/desktop

in their address.

Here we had also a discussion wether to give a hint to users to turn their devices.

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines