Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Self hosted font problem in Muse

Participant ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

I've just opened a site in Muse which was working fine when I last opened it a month ago but now one of the self hosted fonts has dropped out. It's now also showing the problem font (Acta Display) as being a typekit font but it's not as the foundry removed it some time ago, hence the self hosting.

I've checked on Typekit and the font is not showing and when I try to add via the self host option it won't allow me to add, even though I have all the required web fonts - and it was working fine a month ago!

I've tried the usual things of signing out/signing back in etc but no joy.

I really need to get this sorted this week so would appreciate any help/suggestions.

Thanks

Rich

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like the old font was taken down for licensing reasons.  It happens.  Replace it with another font.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy, thanks for replying, I wish it was that simple but unfortunately this font is part of the brand for the client. Plus it's a self hosted font so why can't it be added when it had been added previously and was working fine a month ago?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you perhaps have installed a "non web version" of Acta too and applied it accidentally to the text?

Best practice is, to deinstall all other versions of this font before installing the web font files.

And: Are you sure, that you have installed all necessary files?

If this doesn't help: Could you attach a zipped archive with all Acta font files, which you are using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Günter, thanks for replying,

What I don't understand is the font was working perfectly last month when I did the last update and his been fine since the site went live last year. 

I have not changed anything at all with the fonts or the site but now, when I open ot to make some minor changes it's now showing the font to be unavailable. I've attached a screen grab of the web fonts which are/were installed. 

I've tried to install these again but when I try to install only two of the web fonts show and even they don't upload.

Thanks

Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn‘t answer my questions.

There are different thinkable scenarios: For example, you moved the font files on your machine. This issue needs a deeper look at the font files and perhaps at your .muse file.

By the way: Did you try the font with a newly created Muse document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry, I hit return by mistake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because it is easy to overlook the short answer, here again:

Richard, you didn‘t answer my questions.

There are different thinkable scenarios: For example, you moved the font files on your machine. This issue needs a deeper look at the font files and perhaps at your .muse file.

By the way: Did you try the font with a newly created Muse document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Günter,

No font files have been moved.

Nothing has changed since I last opened the Muse file using the Acta font.

I hardly use Muse now.

I have tried using a new file but the same thing happens.

For some reason Muse is showing the Acta font being available in Typekit but it's not as it was removed last year.

I've checked and it's not available via Typekit so why that is showing now I'm not sure.

The self hosted version is now showing as being unavailable (see attached screen shot from the Muse file).

When I try to add via self hosting, only two of the web fonts are highlighted (see screen shot) but neither gets activated.

As I say, I have done nothing to the fonts or file since I worked on it over a month ago when it worked fine.

Thanks again for your help.

Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No further advices possible, if you don't follow my suggestions (share the zipped font files and the .muse file with us.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason the forum is not allowing me to attach a zip file!!

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 27, 2019 Sep 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then please upload your file to Dropbox, CC Files or a similar file sharing service and post the download link here.

If you can’t share your original .muse file, why not simply create a totally simple Muse document with only a text box and some placeholder text, which has the "misbehaving" web font applied, and share this file with us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are 2 issues, which I found:

In your package, there are 2 system fonts, called "Acta Display Bold": The first one is an OpenTypeFont, which works fine as a system font, but this is not the one, matching the web font package. This one is the "36EA18_0_0.ttf" font. But this one seems to be damaged or a wrong version too. No application of my system (InDesign, Pages, Word , and, and, and …) does accept this font.

The second issue: The .SVG font is missing. The font package contains eot, woff, woff2, but no svg.

By the way: All of my self hosted font are working fine with Muse and, as expected, the "Acta Display" version of your package don’t, because they don’t even install in a correct way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okay, thanks for checking. There was no .svg file in the package that I purchased. I've sent you everything that came with the font when purchased. I noticed that other system font (36EA18_0_0.ttf) and don't know where this has come from. What I still don't understand is how Muse is showing Acta as a Typekit font when it is not available and I removed all of the typekit versions when I added the self hosted version. I use the Acta OTF in Indesign and it works fine so not sure why it won't work in yours. Any suggestions of where I go from here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is, what I said! Acta otf works fine, but it isn’t the font which belongs to this web font package! This is the "36EA18_0_0.ttf" font. Only this font will play with the other font files of your package. But it doesn’t work – in no application.

The missing SVG font is not that crucial. This format is not necessary for many browsers.

So the important thing is, that the 36EA18_0_0.ttf font doesn’t work.

By the way: Muse’s web font interface alerts this too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Günter, I removed the 36EA18_0_0.ttf font yesterday and tried to upload again but it wouldn't work BUT I've just opened Muse to try and remove/upload again and for whatever reason it allowed me to fix issues. Which I did and the two web fonts appeared and Acta was showing in my self hosted fonts! Back in Muse, the font was added and it is now working! Not sure why this has all happened but hopefully it is all now sorted. Thank you for your time and patience. Have a good weekend!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Fine, that you fixed it after all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines