Exit

Shift-click for selecting objects does not work in Muse

Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

New Muser here. Loving it thus far.

Was wondering if the problem of not being able to select an item, hold shift and select another item (select multiple items) this way is a common problem? It does not work for me.

I am on a mac. I read about this a while ago but as a new user am not sure if it is still an issue?

Thanks for any response,

Barry

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

It is not and it never was a problem to shift click for more than one element.

You could also drag over several items to select them.

Background layers will be selected as well then, if there is one.

Best Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not and it never was a problem to shift click for more than one element.

You could also drag over several items to select them.

Background layers will be selected as well then, if there is one.

Best Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe,

Thanks for the reply,

Since I know there is another way and was not looking for an alternative suggestion per say, what could possibly be caasing this to not work? I opened even a brand new muse file, not background layers or hidden layers.

very simple.

click and select 1 box, it hi-lites, hold shift, click the 2nd rectangle and the hi-lites jump to the 2nd and 1st is unselected. Back and forth. I can make a screencast if needed.

It will not let me select both at the same time.

Could it be (I read something) my version of iOS possibly?

Barry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot reproduce your issue. I am using OS X 10.10.5.

I can shift click and it looks like this: (no tricks –promise )

Bildschirmfoto 2017-07-21 um 00.16.43.png

I can also shift click in layers palette inside the tiny (now blue) squares on the right hand side to select multiple items – needs some ordering, though:

Bildschirmfoto 2017-07-21 um 00.17.40.png

Have no idea why you couldn`t do that. Does CMD+click work for you? Another language/country setting for keyboards?

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Uwe,

I think I am getting closer. I also cannot select multiple items in the layers like you can which shows me they are related to each other. I am not closer to what is causing this but at least I know it is consistent with 2 rectangles or the layers.

Also I have 10.10.5 so that helps probably rule that out.  Maybe my system needs a restart since I downloaded and began with muse. Not ready to do that just yet as I have like 40 tabs open but maybe that will fix it.

Here is an image for Gunter; not very exciting... 2 of the same boxes. Not abel to select both at all.Home.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite strange though. Why not create a very reduced .muse and tell us what you want to shift-click-select.

The description from Günter Heißenbüttel​ is indeed very helpful as well but I assume you have other issues.

Maybe with your keyboard settings?

Your two boxes aren't related to each other like in a composition, right?

Are you able to drag those two with your mouse cursor?

…

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did just that. I created a new .muse. Very simple. 1 page.  I put 2 simple rectangles on it. You can see the image I included.

And why forget layers? You showed me that one should be able to select multiple layers as well which I cannot so that is an important clue.

I appreciate the offer but I do not think I need to make a .muse and upload so you can see a one page file with 2 rectangles.

Click this screencast video I made showing what is happening (you cannot see but I am holding the shift key down after clicking box 1 and before 2)....

Recording #784

As fas as why not restart FIRST before even posting, it is that I have so much open (tabs) word documents ,etc that I just wanted to leave all open as it is going so great and since the muse problem is not major by any means thought I would ask first.

I also read a long thread about this muse issue from 2015-start of 2017 online so I thought I would ask.

Thanks!!

Barry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoffkids

And why forget layers? You showed me that one should be able to select multiple layers as well which I cannot so that is an important clue.

What Guenter wanted to say with this, I assume, (btw I showed you to be able to select elements in layers palette), that you can select elements across all layers on each page. Sometimes German language sounds harsh for native English speakers, so nothing "to forget" about anything. You just not have to take too much care about layers in your case.

I do not see the SHIFT but I can hear it . This is really unusual. Might be a stupid to silly question – your keyboard works with shift in other applications well?

Are you able to drag with the mouse over both text boxes in order to select them?

Does instead of SHIFT the CMD key work to select both? Not that this might be a solution but I guess the there are some keyboard settings going wrong.

May I ask where you bought your computer? In which country? Maybe the country specific keyboard settings are different from the system you work with?

If I would use a Mac, bought in the US and work in Germany without changing the country specific settings for keyboard, there also could occur issues.

Let`s dive in deeper if necessary

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Talking about "layers" is absolutely useless in respect of selecting elements. It does no matter at all, on which layer an element resides. It can be selected with any other element on whatever layer.

Only "subelements" of widgets can't be selected together with other elements, which aren't if the same logical hierarchy (trigger + image, thumbnail+ text frame)

I see, you can't select 2 textframes. Of course this is definitely possible. If you think, it isn't necessary to have a .muse file to inspect – ok, I can't change it.

But if your file would work on my machine, we'd know, that we deal with an isolated issue on your machine, no we could go on looking into the issue.

But, as I told you, I don't like endless question and answer games and begging for cooperating with the helper.

Wish you luck for further investgation!

(Deleting Muse and all of its Preference files and reinstalling it. Looking for disturbing other apps, …)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Gunter & Uwe,

Appreciate that!

I know the right thing to do is begin with a restart before anything else.  I have no shift problem in other software, I can drag and select multiple objects in muse, and as far as uninstall and reinstall, that is prob what Adobe would recc too so for now I will hold off, then restart and check.

Shift/cmd does nothing (nor did I think it should, but I am new to Muse)

Thanks.

I will revisit this in the near future.

Barry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holding shift selects element of the same logical level: A rectangle and an image for example. You can't select element of different "levels" at a time. For example a trigger of a composition and a rectangle. Or a thumbnail of a slideshow and a hero image.

Show us a screenshot of the two elements you want to select.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may be wrong, but I think, this is no real „issue“.

Hoffkids The 2 rectangles, you showed us: Are these simple rectangles?

And: Forget „layers“! This is not important for selecting elements.

Before running into a geussing game,do the following: Create a new site with only one page and only a few elements, which demonstrate your issue. Upload this .muse file to Dropbox or a similar file sharing service and provide the download link here. Then we can have a closer look.

By the way: What I’ll never understand: You write „Maybe my system need a restart …“ If somebody has a problem with an application, why not restarting the computer and the application, before doing anything else? Is your machine’s uptime a holy cow, whoch in now way is allowed to be disturbed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines