Highlighted

Should I upgrade my RAM? MUSE is slow.

Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to decide one or the other...

1. Either I don't have enough RAM
  2. Muse has memory leaks / is a huge resource hog

I'm on one of the most powerful iMac's in my department and it should run all software very smoothly even for a power user... but Muse drags so slowly I sit around watching the beach ball spin half the time.

Muse v.10 Build 948, CL 767416

AIR Runtime: 3.2.0.2070

iMac 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5

8GB 1333 MHz DDR3

I only have 8GB of RAM in this machine so it's obvious a RAM upgrade would help anything - but I am unsatisfied that Muse won't work efficiently / fluidly out of the box.

Working on a Muse file with about 50 pages... any movement or opening of a page lags and shows the spinning beach ball for far too long. please advise? 

I want to trust this software will have substantial updates to its resource usage.

Sean    

Correct answer by Stygian8 | Community Beginner

Here is an update in case anyone is keeping track of this thread.

I sent my MUSE file to Adobe and they took a look at it and recreated what I was trying to do and had no problems. (My MUSE was acting incredibly slow on some pages... 10's of minutes of spinning beachball).

I made new/different pages on my site and things were good.I just recreated the page piece by piece that I was having problems with (thinking that there is something/wrong or corrupt on that page)and all is well so far.

Thanks to Adobe (and Lance from Adobe) for looking into my file.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Should I upgrade my RAM? MUSE is slow.

Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to decide one or the other...

1. Either I don't have enough RAM
  2. Muse has memory leaks / is a huge resource hog

I'm on one of the most powerful iMac's in my department and it should run all software very smoothly even for a power user... but Muse drags so slowly I sit around watching the beach ball spin half the time.

Muse v.10 Build 948, CL 767416

AIR Runtime: 3.2.0.2070

iMac 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5

8GB 1333 MHz DDR3

I only have 8GB of RAM in this machine so it's obvious a RAM upgrade would help anything - but I am unsatisfied that Muse won't work efficiently / fluidly out of the box.

Working on a Muse file with about 50 pages... any movement or opening of a page lags and shows the spinning beach ball for far too long. please advise? 

I want to trust this software will have substantial updates to its resource usage.

Sean    

Correct answer by Stygian8 | Community Beginner

Here is an update in case anyone is keeping track of this thread.

I sent my MUSE file to Adobe and they took a look at it and recreated what I was trying to do and had no problems. (My MUSE was acting incredibly slow on some pages... 10's of minutes of spinning beachball).

I made new/different pages on my site and things were good.I just recreated the page piece by piece that I was having problems with (thinking that there is something/wrong or corrupt on that page)and all is well so far.

Thanks to Adobe (and Lance from Adobe) for looking into my file.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, on PC.  Any updates coming to fix this?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm haveing the same problem - incredibly slow - I have 16 gig of ram and 8 procs - I'm only using 8 pages.

If this doesn't get fixed this will be a useless program

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you give me some more details like.

1. Do you have any other program running in the background ?

2. Do you face the issue with the all the sites that you make or only this one ?

3. What content are you using on this file ?

4. Is this the first time you are facing this issue ?

Regards,

Abhishek Maurya

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have photoshop open as I am creating content for the site.

This is the only site I have tried in Muze.

The site is only 6 pages all built on the same master. There is a background image on th emaster page.

This is the first time I have tried Muze.

I get large pauses even when typing in content - I will be several words ahead of the display. There are times when the program will take 5-6 seconds to respond to a command

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How long is the text frame you're typing in? (The current undo implementation for text will cause typing to be slow in text frames that contain a large amount of text.)

Roughly how many images are on each page?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a shot of one of the pages with text and images:

Design02.jpg

hardly a huge amount of text. I run Premier and AE on the same machine and they are both quite nimble

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only speak for my copy of Muse, but I'm having no similar type of issue. In fact I'm flabargasted by how much I can load onto a page. I have some pages with over 30 images piled one on top of another, none smaller than 300x250, as well as using several widgets per page, over 30 videos a page, and they all load pretty darned fast into a browser - faster than DW. My system is a modest 4 core, with 6G RAM, and I have Production Premium CS4 also on this machine, although I only use PS in conjungtion with Muse. My websites has very little text however.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James - lucky you, lol. 

However I believe after much time has passed we've pinned it down to our network being the major issue.  We've had to resort to pulling our Muse files onto our desktops to work from them otherwise it is literally not even worth it to try.

With that, Adobe could pay some attention to how a network hosted .muse file behaves and how it interacts with the network, since Muse will crash constantly when there are minor network hiccups (even when putting iMac to sleep mode, Muse will crash because it lost the network connection to the file).

EVEN with pulling the .muse file to desktop, there is small annoying glitches and pauses/delays that still blows my mind.  This I point my finger at AIR, its just flakey as software.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right Seanmichaelboone.

I've just upgraded to the 2.0 and mama mia...crashes are quite often compared to the 0.X and 1.0 version of MUSE. And what a slowneeeeessss! that 2.0

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows or Mac? What OS version?

When do the slow downs occur? Are you working directly on files stored on a server?

Please send the MuseLog.txt file from your Documents folder to us at muse-support@adobe.com along with a link to this thread. Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Zak, thanks so much for your answer.

i currently run muse 2.0 on a macpro 2x2.66 with 8Go ram. As I never uploaded my files on a server (because I'm still stuck with bugs) I don't have the MuseLog.txt. I gues that files you're asking is created on a server after UL the site right?

I had the same MacPro when I ran the v1.0 of muse and waoww!! it was pretty much faster than the latest release.

My OS is still the same when I used the 1.0 and now the 2.8 OSX 10.7.4

If I can help...let me know

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please take another look for the MuseLog.txt file. It should be in the Documents folder in your username folder on your Mac Pro. Anytime an error dialog comes up in Muse the error and some additional information is written to the MuseLog.txt.

What operations are slower in 2.0?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the MuseLog.txt was just sent to support email.

Thanks

PS/ Muse 2.0 isn't incredibliy slow ALL the time. But it sometimes it looks like buffers are full.

For example few minutes gao I deceided to put a border frame of 1px on every sides of a rectangle. Once I clicked on the Upper setting of the stroke tu enter 1, muse never stop slowing jumping by itself all the number till 16px!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm... I haven't seen a message come through on the muse-support e-mail address. Could you send the MuseLog.txt again and just send it directly to me at zak@adobe.com? Thanks.

How large is your .muse file? If you work with multiple different .muse files, are you seeing these slow downs with one particular .muse file or with any .muse file?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that I think of it, as I am working in Muse 2.0, you are right. Muse is a bit slow but not to the point where I can't work. I don't think it's your Ram as I have 12 gig.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

morningcolours, that's for sending the MuseLog.txt again. It shows 6 errors/crashes yesterday. Four of the errors point strongly toward there being some sort of corruption in the file that was being worked on. Assuming you have one .muse file that you mostly work on, could you send it to me at the muse-support@adobe.com address? If it's larger than 20Mb you can use a service like Adobe SendNow, SendThisFile, WeTransfer, etc. to send it. Please include a link to this thread with the e-mail so others on the muse-support e-mail list know the background. Thanks.

The other two crashes point to there being a bug in the on-object UI for one of the widgets. Do you recall what you were working with when the "Mismatched begin/endUserAction calls?" errors occurred? Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zak the file is beeing transfert from dl.free.fr service. Let me know if it's ok.

For the last bug you're asking about, if it's the last one recorded in the .txt I might be when I just click with the T cursor in the "PREVIOUS" text area of my slideshow, I wanted to change the font size.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I got the same problem here. Muse is very slow. And it even looks like it's slowing down my whole system though. I'm kinda new to using this program, but this is not very comfortable. Isthere a recent update expected for this issue, else i will make my website in an other program.

I don't think it's my system: Mac pro 8core,  5870 video, 16 gigs memory.

I've tried it without running any other progam.

The muse file in activity monitor is appr. 450 MB big, so that is not that big.

Anybody?

Thanks.

Greets Eric.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nietzwaar1969-

What actions in Muse are slow? Launching? Exporting? Publishing? Showing a certain palette?

Are you working with a particular .muse file?

Any additional information you could share would be helpful.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actions:

- whenever i try to resize fonts, or resizeing a window, just drawing a window

- switching between pages

- previewing the site

- it's just lagging a lot

Maybe it has something tot do with yhe pictures i imported?

the .muse file i'm working with is my own website.muse file.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How large is the .muse file? Where is it stored (boot drive, external drive, server, thumbdrive, etc.)?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Zak,

The .muse file is 22 MB.

I changed the storage position from my server to my HD to see if that's making a difference, also i'm experimenting with the size of my pictures imported.

i'll keep you posted.

grts Eric

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Zak,

i put everything on my HD today instead of on my server and it seems the lagging is gone.

Also I made all the files smaller and more web-sized in Bridge, os i'm ok for now.

Thanks.

Greets Eric

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Muse reads objects into memory as they're used and currently does so (mostly) one object at a time. Since each file access is many many times slower when the .muse file is on a server versus your hard disk, I believe that explains the performance you were seeing.

We're working on revising how we load objects into memory to improve performance in general for a future Muse release. That change should make working directly from a server more viable, but working from a server will always be slower than working with the file stored on a local hard drive.

As for image size, you shouldn't need to reduce the files outside of Muse, though you certainly can. There's a relatively little known feature in Muse in the Assets panel called "Optimize asset size". If you right click on an image in the Assets panel this option will show up if Muse is currently storing more image data for that image than is necessary in the .muse file. Specifically, if the image is currently being used in your Muse layout at a smaller size than what was imported, then this option will be available. If you select this option, Muse will discard the excess image data. (It will store an image that's just the exact size that's being used.)

If you select the first item in the Assets panel and shift click to select the last (to select all), right click and choose the "Optimize asset size" option (which may take a while to run), then Save As to a new file (since Save As compacts file size and so the original file is available to compare to) you'll likely find the new file to be much smaller than the original.

The gotcha with the "Optimize asset size" option is once it's been done, all the images stored in the .muse file have been resized to their current size in your layout. If you then resize an image larger within Muse, it will become pixelated because it's now larger than the stored image. When this occurs Muse will warn of "upsampled" images and a little icon with a plus will appear next to any upsampled images in the Assets panel. If you right click on an image in the Assets panel that's upsampled the context menu will include an option to "Import larger size". Note that for this option to be enabled the asset has to both be upsampled and the link to the original file needs to be intact (so Muse can re-import the image data).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Muse is INCREDIBLY slow. Ive noticed the more images I add to my sight the slower and slower it gets.... Its also slows down the entire computer when Im working on Muse - so now I pretty much have to go in, do a bit of work and then save and shut down so I can keep working with other programs if I dont want to see lots of spinning wheels and work at the pace of a snail. (Muse images are on my HD - not a server)

This is a major flaw to a program that we need to pay into virtually forever if we want to keep using it to house our sites. I had been recommending Muse to friends but now Ive discovered they are ALL experiencing the same thing so Ill need to hold off on giving this a thumbs up to anyone until Adobe addressing this critical problem.

Your solution seems complicated and problematic. For instance, I have some images in more than one location on my site (in different sizes) - so Im assuming if I click this 'optimize asset size' option in the main place all the images are it will most likely mess up the other locations where the image is show slightly larger.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It you select all the items in the Assets panel, right click and select "Optmized Asset Size" Muse will discard all extra data. If a given asset is used at three different sizes, it will reduce the image to the largest size used.

Ericorlan, are you on Mac or Windows? What OS version? How large is your .muse file? I assume the .muse file is also on your hard drive (not a server, or other slow media).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zac, very helpful...

I "Optimized asset size" and my Muse File went from 88 meg to 29 meg.

I'd rather replace a larger image if I need it in the future, than turn off people from using my site because it takes too long to display the lightbox images. It works a lot faster now.

Marian

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folks!!!! I figured it out.

Keep that "Assets window" closed as much as possible. When open, SLOW. When on another menu, LIGHTNING FAST.

Greg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg,

I haven't heard of the assets panel slowing things down before. If you have a file where this happens consistently, please send that file to muse-support@adobe.com along with a link to this topic so we can investigate the problem. If your .muse file is > 20MB, use a filesharing service like SendThisFile or Adobe SendNow.

Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg,

I find that it is not just the "Assets window" but the entire dialog box with all the tools and features (states, color, text, etc.). The biggest "Adobe Muse is slow" problem I face is clicking off the program into...let's say a browser or Word or photoshop (I have dual screens). When I go to click back into Muse it takes about six seconds for that dialog box to appear.  I've tried closing it, but it doesn't seem to help.  I'm doing a lot of copy/paste from Word back into Muse and I see that lag time as an issue.

BTW, I never click or mess with the "assets" tab in the dialog window, I have a lot of assets on my site and clicking that tab will instantly crash the program. I just wish it was as simple as telling Muse it can use 1,000 Mb of my ram instead of it maxing out at 500 Mb in my Windows task manager dialog.

Still better than going bald in one year learning HTML!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I now have a couple more Muse projects under my belt, and I realize that preparing my files a lot closer to the end-result (ie-not importing print-resolution files, but sizing them down or screen capturing them from a preview image) is saving Muse's resources. I am also paying more attention to Up-Sizing Images - that's an apparent no no.

Noteworthy, larger sites with lots of pages do take longer to open and work on. But keep my above stratagy in mind, and you may find a balance between performance and switching programs.

Greg!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bigbiigd37,

When you switch from another app to Muse, one thing Muse does is check to make sure your links are still up to date. This is usually very fast, but it can be somewhat slow if you have a lot of links, and it could be very slow if you have a lot of links that are slow to access, such as links to files on remote server volumes. Do you have links to files on the network? If so moving these files local to your hard drive should speed up Muse's file checking.

Also, if Muse crashes a lot when switching in, please send your MuseLog.txt file(found in your User Documents folder) to muse-support@adobe.com so we can investigate and fix the problem.

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobelance,

Thanks for your reply. I moved everything off my server and placed them locally and Muse is running like a dreamsicle on hot asphalt! It cut my wait time from about 10 seconds to 2 seconds.

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pinwheel.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too slow now! Unbelivable! I did the new upgrade and I had a big surprise. I'm working on a site and I cant work with muse anymore! Hello Adobe, this is a big ISSUE! I tryed start something from the zero and the problem dont stop, too slow to do everything inside Muse. Move images, etc etc...

Is there any way to downgrade for the previeus version!? URGENT!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to download the old version but I'm not exactly sure where. Maybe Adobe can point you in the right direction. I know it's a "tad" bit slower but not crippling for me. Believe me I feel your pain. Hope you get it sorted out. If I can find a link I will post it here.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rogersphoto, what are you finding slower? These are the first two reports I've seen of Muse 7 being slower than Muse 6. Can you send us your MuseLog.txt? Perhaps it will show something suspect.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on your assets panel, then click the warning icon. See if any pictures or "assets" have a warning next to them. This was my problem when things went slow. I had to make sure that every asset had a different name, because if it didn't Muse would not like it, and move really slo

w.Muse assets.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is your .muse file stored (local hard drive or network volume)?

Where are your images stored (local hard drive or network volume)?

What platform and operating system version are you using?

Please send the MuseLog.txt file from your Documents folder to muse-support@adobe.com along with a link to this thread (for context). It may provide some clue why performance is slow on your machine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to rollback to the previous version of Muse but the options don't seem to be there in the apps.  I therefore continued working with this one, the speed seemed fine so long as I didn't play with the responsive tools (which is what I was so excited about).  I'm therefore using it as before but one other thing that cropped up is that by using the "only modified files" setting, it uploads hundreds of pages.   That was an issue a couple versions ago and unfortunately it's back!  My first upload even for one page change (not master pages), it uploaded the entire site.  I thought maybe as the software was re-written that it was normal as the coding was different for each page.  I therefore did another minor change and tried uploading again, it uploaded one page and 176 files just for one link change.  As I have lot's of viewers on my site, it creates a lot of errors for them as it takes so long to upload.  It would be great if you could also resolve this bug.

Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue.

My Muse version was running very fast but now it is so slow that i can do other things while it's opening a single page of any project.

I'm very afraid to upgrade to Muse 7 and this issue still remains...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

felipemello,

Where is your .muse file and placed assets stored? On a local drive, removable drive, or network volume?

Is your computer running mac or windows?

What version of Muse are you using?

If you create a new Muse site, is that slow too? Or is it just one muse site that's slow?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi adobelance,

I have the same issue. It's so slowly the app and I tried to resize assets and local drive but can't work. I have a macbook pro i5 10gb ram. Then, I spend more time doing some change then the application stop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines