• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Simple comment section on Muse website?

Enthusiast ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to add a simple comment section to a Muse site - preferably with a reply/voting function?

I don't wish to censor users too much - but all commercial comment widgets I've seen have quite specific limits for free speech.

So I would prefer some kind of simple code I could just paste somewhere - or perhaps an open-source widget - so that I alone am in charge of comment-moderation, as opposed to depend on a commercial widget-manufacturer.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

heres the thing... free speech is not allowed on the internet

you can have a self hosted cms to give yourself control but at the end of the day, any forum, blog | news or just personal webpage that puts something out there which other people don't like will find itself getting emails to say "knock it off or else"

in some countries the rules are a little different but the country your host sits in i.e, the server that holds the main page is what rules apply to you

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You won’t succeed with „some kind of simple code“, because simple or complicated, that kind of feature needs a database/PHP backend.

So, what you need, is a „commercial widget-manufacturer". No way around.

Did you have a look at this widget: https://www.muse-themes.com/products/disqus-commenting​?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Günter - yes I do know Disqus, and I have considered it, but it's actually one of the services that have become more restrictive recently in terms of free speech.

Moderation is not always an easy topic to handle, but I don't want a third party - except my hosting service - to have any impact on how my users communicate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you may decide to use this blog widget, which is widely configurable, allows commenting, and is completely self hosted within Muse on your hosting server: https://www.qooqee.com/muse-blog-cms?search=Blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much again, Günter - I just looked at the site, and the self hosting part does indeed sound really nice. But the company's TOS (regarding the use of the actual software) are unfortunately very similar to Disqus. It would probably never lead to any issues; it's just a principle to me to be as free as possible and I want to reflect that on my websites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

heres the thing... free speech is not allowed on the internet

you can have a self hosted cms to give yourself control but at the end of the day, any forum, blog | news or just personal webpage that puts something out there which other people don't like will find itself getting emails to say "knock it off or else"

in some countries the rules are a little different but the country your host sits in i.e, the server that holds the main page is what rules apply to you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And net neutrality passed 3-2 in the states

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ussnorway  wrote

the country your host sits in i.e, the server that holds the main page is what rules apply to you

No, the problem is not U.S. law.

The problem is that the services I mention have untransparent and unpredictable restrictions that go far beyond what the law demands.

And that just won't do.

Fortunately, it turns out that Wordpress is an exception:

It's pro free-speech and does not require users to remove any legitimate content - so I'm going to use that instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines