Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Thumbnails only

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I'm currently using the thumbnail component of a lightbox widget as a book cover gallery.  It's great because adding new images is easy, as is arranging them, while maintaining the custom grid.  Plus, clicking on a thumbnail works like a button and allows hyperlinks.

However, I've been looking for a way (a widget, probably) that has this same functionality, but also allows for some live text to accompany the image.  I haven't been successful.  Most of the galleries are really meant for viewing images in a lightbox format, not for hyperlinks to other pages. 

I really just want an easy way to mimic an ecommerce product grid set-up without the ecommerce element.  A grid of images with text under them that is easy to add to and arrange.  Trying to do this manually is far too time consuming and doesn't make sense to rearrange all images because I want to add one.

Anyone have any suggestions for achieving this type of functionality?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi wrbrock,

According to the details given by you, I understand that you simply need to create a grid to list out your items on which can also act as a hyperlink button, correct?

Why don't you give a try to state button widget?

You can fill in your own images to it and it already has a text box within it, and you could also use it as a hyperlink button.

Hope I make sense.

Regards,

Ankush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response, Ankush.

I'm with you on the state button, but the reason I don't use them for this is because there's no way to move the state buttons around in a grid without doing it manually.  Or is there?  There are dozens of items in each grid, and several grids on several pages, so unless there's a way to drop a state button into a grid (like the gallery thumbnails allow me to do) I'd rather just stick with images. 

If this were a small gallery on one page of a site, I'd definitely use a state button and just shuffle them around as needed.  Unfortunately there are just too many items in too many grids on too many pages for that to work in this case.

Ultimately, I guess I need an ecommerce site layout without the ecommerce element.  This site is just for browsing, no on-site purchases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that these grids have book covers in them, and each grid has them arranged in various ways.  Like alphabetical, for instance.  There are constant new items to be added, so going the manual state button route just isn't doable.  This is why I'm using the thumbnails with a hidden lightbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you told us, you are using the thumbnails of s (hidden) lightbox to achieve, what you want, I assume, that you don't need these elements to be responsive (slideshows aren't responsive yet).

If this is correct, there is a way to use state buttons, which allow to incorporate text:

• Create a state button and copy or better cut it (cmd+C or cmd+X).
  • Create a text frame, place the text cursor and paste the state button into it.
  • Now the button is placed in the text frame and behaves like a single character: You can select it with the text cursor, duplicate it, move it to a different position, delete it, and so in. You even can fill the button with different content.
  • If you don't use >Returns<, the buttons flow within the textframe and reposition automatically, if you insert a new button or delete one of them.

Wouldn't this be a viable slternative to the "thumbnail method"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Günter!

I didn't think of that!  I've cut/copied objects into text boxes quite a bit for various reasons, but not state buttons.  I'll play around with it and see how it works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tested it, and it works fine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines