Highlighted

transforming a muse mobile file to responsive with more breakpoints

Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, have a muse file that only is the mobile layout (set to the alternate layouts, of course still fixed) this have no desktop and no tablett alternate layouts.

So i have to change it to a responsive muse file ... Question :

Can i just transform this mobile layout, to fluid and creating bigger breakpoints ??? (that will be great because everything is integrated and linked in this mobile file) ... or must i create a new file, starting from desktop and putting smaller breakpoints ??

Seams to be a strange question, but im asking me about SEO wenn i design everything starting direct from this mobile Muse layout ...

Thanks if you have some advices !

PK

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Ussnorway | Most Valuable Participant

no you can not auto-transform a desktop responive site from a alt-fixed design

remaking the site from a new desktop design is an option yes but its a lot of work

SEO has little to do with it... you don't get more points for a responive site than for a site with alt layouts but you do get points for a well designed site that works on different devices and you get marked down when your design does not work well on some devices

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

transforming a muse mobile file to responsive with more breakpoints

Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, have a muse file that only is the mobile layout (set to the alternate layouts, of course still fixed) this have no desktop and no tablett alternate layouts.

So i have to change it to a responsive muse file ... Question :

Can i just transform this mobile layout, to fluid and creating bigger breakpoints ??? (that will be great because everything is integrated and linked in this mobile file) ... or must i create a new file, starting from desktop and putting smaller breakpoints ??

Seams to be a strange question, but im asking me about SEO wenn i design everything starting direct from this mobile Muse layout ...

Thanks if you have some advices !

PK

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Ussnorway | Most Valuable Participant

remaking the site from a new desktop design is an option yes but its a lot of work

SEO has little to do with it... you don't get more points for a responive site than for a site with alt layouts but you do get points for a well designed site that works on different devices and you get marked down when your design does not work well on some devices

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 19, 2017 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 19, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for this answer,

of course i can not auto-transform, this is clear, the question is only if its ok to ad larger breakpoints from this mobile old muse file (converted wenn opening with newest Muse version), ... so i will have just to readjust some elements, but they all already there ;–)

SEO comment is usefull, thanks...

pk

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 19, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes of course this is possible. It is quite unconventional but some people out there talk about mobile first .

In your case you have to be aware that 320 (maybe by default your phone version is set to 380) should not be a breakpoint but the minimum width.

So I recommend to start as easy as possible and take care at first that your phone-page is set to center instead of left aligned:

Bildschirmfoto 2017-12-19 um 17.20.32.png

and elements are pinned to container like this:

Bildschirmfoto 2017-12-19 um 17.17.26.png

This should be the same to pages and master, of course.

All elements are centered to the container like this, (not strictly necessary but helpful at the beginning)

Then you "open" your page with the scrubber and add a breakpoint at, to say something 768 or 960 as a classical breakpoint for tablet or desktop. It could look like this (I added a fluid width breakpoint at 768 and 1280, 1280 is not really a breakpoint but the breakpoint width) :

Bildschirmfoto 2017-12-19 um 17.27.58.png

As long as you don`t have set some alternative layouts and it looks like this:

Bildschirmfoto 2017-12-19 um 17.13.13.png

Means: you only use one layout it should pretty much do the job.

Best Regards,

Uwe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 19, 2017 2
Enthusiast ,
Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You DO get points for a faster loading site so sometimes adaptive sites can be faster with out all the break points, code etc. the irony is Google decided they like responsive over adaptive...so just make the pages as light as possible whatever you use. There are many adaptive sites still out there and being designed. One plus is generally you don’t need as many pages in an adaptive mobile site and it can have content specially created for it.

Responsive Web Design Basics  |  Web Fundamentals  |  Google Developers

designstrategies.com uses Muse using only adaptive quite effectively.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 19, 2017 2
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vielen Dank Uwe, es hilft mich sehr, bin immer noch am überlegen ob ich alles neu starten sollte, aber deine Rat scheint mir wirklich die Lösung zu sein... auch für Zeit sparen...

Thanks a lot, i will come back in a more avanced point with that project,

PK

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 20, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot ... very interesting and helfull informations !!!

PK

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 20, 2017 0