Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to use Muse to change the content of my site

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

About 6 months ago, I created and published my FTP website using Muse.  When I first opened Muse today, my website was there and I looked at it. But, I did something wrong and now, it is gone.  How can I get it back? I tried to use in browser editing, first ; but, it won't let me do what I need to do.

Thanks,

Joe Casalino

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

May be you manually moved the file to its actual position, so that Muse couldn‘t keep track.

The only issue, I am aware of with the file  thumbnails in Muse‘s welcome screen is the fact, that it appears empty, when you have changed the standard installation path during installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

casalj10  schrieb

But, I did something wrong and now, it is gone.  How can I get it back? I tried to use in browser editing, first ; but, it won't let me do what I need to do.

Thanks,

Joe Casalino

What did you do wrong? Do you still have all files on your ftp? Where do you want to get back? Did you inadvertently move the "index.html"?

Best Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is gone? You Muse file?

You can’t have done anything wrong within Muse. You can’t delete files out of Muse.

I assume, the file simply doesn’t appear in your Welcome Screen. But there you only find representations of your Muse files, not the files themselves.

Use the „Search“ command of your operating system to find the file.

If you don’t find it, you probably have deleted your Muse file, using your operating system’s commands. In this case, you need a backup. If you don’t have one – well …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a Mac you can roll back to your history to recover files ...sometimes...don’t know about Windows but I think it’s possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a Mac you can’t rollback like you can with Apple’s own application files (Pages, Photos, Numbers, Mail, …), because Muse doesn’t support the operating system’s „Versioning“ feature.

If a Muse file is deleted, you have to use your backup or re-create your file from scratch. Recovering lost files indeed is very simple on a Mac: Just use Time Machine.

But, I think, in the case actually discussed here, the problem may simply be the absence of the file in Muse’s welcome screen – what means, the file is still existing, but simply not „linked“ any more to the welcome screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said...

On a Mac you can roll back to your history to recover files ...sometimes

To recover files!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HMAM, your post doesn‘t really help, because nobody knows, what you mean with „roll back to your history“ and one can recover „sometimes“. MacOS has two backup/recovery mechanisms: Time Machine and document versioning. If you have Time Machine up and running, you can recover not only „sometimes“, but always. The second feature (Document versioning) is not supported by Muse.

And again, so it doesn‘t get lost: Perhaps the document simply isn‘t displayed any more in Muse‘s welcome screen. In this case it is still present on your hard disc. Just search it with the „Find/Search“ command of your operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know...that’s all I said he needs a back up. Gee Grunter don’t you ever back off!...you are abusive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I refuse commenting this any more, and hope, the thread opener finds his way through the jungle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you don’t have Time Machine or other backup then perhaps you are out of luck ...old files are recoverable but it can cost you. Practice good back up practices and you will minimize the damage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, boys lets not fight.

I found the file in my Muse directory and successfully opened it. What I think has happened is that since I created the website, I have upgraded to the newest version (2018.0.0.G85) and it could not find the files location. Once opened, when I went to save it, it said that it was going to convert it to the new version and that from that point on it would not be readable with the old version. I am surprised because should not the new version be able to find the old version's files?  Maybe, that is a glitch in the new one

Thanks, Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May be you manually moved the file to its actual position, so that Muse couldn‘t keep track.

The only issue, I am aware of with the file  thumbnails in Muse‘s welcome screen is the fact, that it appears empty, when you have changed the standard installation path during installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, the Name is showing ;but, the thumbnail is not there.

Thanks,

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines