Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Adobe Muse to create a simple html email template

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2013 Nov 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I recently downloaded the trial of Adobe Muse to create a header for my email templates.  I use both Constant Contact and Demand Force for email communication and both give the option of uploading your own html file.

This is what my preview looks like:

screenshot 2.jpg

And when I upload it into Constant Contact and Demand Force, it looks like this:

screenshot 1.jpg

I am just trying to create simple header (photo) with menu bar that links to our website pages. 

Do my images / CSS files need to be hosted on the internet and NOT my computer? That is the only thing I can think of that would make it not load either....

Any suggestions would be great!

Thank you!!

Katie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Sep 02, 2014 Sep 02, 2014

I use Mail Chimp and they have the option to upload a ZIP file with your created HTML. Everything is hosted with Mail Chimp this way so no need to host on a outside server. The ZIP file just needs to have everything in there (not in folders, just loose). You would have to change the image links in your HTML file to read just the image name (i.e. "image1.jpg" and not "images/image1.jpg").

I'm not sure if CC or DF have the ZIP option. Maybe this helps

Thanks

Jay

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2013 Nov 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct.  Your CSS and your images all need to be hosted on the web for the email to render properly.  An HTML email doesn't store images or css in the "HTML" file, it merely references them.  So, you need to host your images and css on the web, and correct the links in the html file to the new web location.

Also, rather than using CSS, you should change to inline styling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 22, 2013 Nov 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the output from Muse for e-mail templates is not going to work in general.

Muse output is designed for the requirements of popular web browsers on desktops, tablets and phones. The requirements for generating HTML/CSS that works well across popular e-mail readers are very different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 24, 2013 Nov 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what product would you suggest to build HTML emails in? Do you have any suggestions for someone who doesn't know HTML or CSS. I'm a print designer, using mostly Indesign.  Should I just stick to templates in Mail Chimp or Constant Contact?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2016 May 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What products in the CC range can be used (best to be used) designing HTML-mail messages? Currently I use Word, but I find Word to stiff for my needs.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2014 May 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, a bit late, but perhaps ...

I had the same problem. The problem with muse: A HTML-mail requires a special type of coding, called inline-coding. It's inevitable because of the myriads of mail-software.

What I did:

I checked some providers of HTML-mail-templates.

Useful are;

http://templates.cakemail.com/

http://www.benchmarkemail.com/resources/Free-HTML-Email-Templates

http://www.graphicmail.de/site/features_templates.aspx

When I found one that came quite close to my idea of a mail template, I opened it in Dreamweaver.

Ok, I know, that's for coding afficionados.

But if you open both the code and the preview side by side you easily find the lines where to change the text. There is also a menu where you can change the type attributes / CSS.

Then you have to change the colors according your personal CI (either directly in the side bar menu or by replacing the web color code in the code lines. (copy, search, paste)

You may check the effects of your changes immediately by pressing the preview button,

That's it.

And mailing via mac requires a special procedure: Open your mail in Safari (only Safari!), type cmd+i, and a new mail window will open, your mail perfectly adjusted.

Marianne, Germany

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 02, 2014 Sep 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Mail Chimp and they have the option to upload a ZIP file with your created HTML. Everything is hosted with Mail Chimp this way so no need to host on a outside server. The ZIP file just needs to have everything in there (not in folders, just loose). You would have to change the image links in your HTML file to read just the image name (i.e. "image1.jpg" and not "images/image1.jpg").

I'm not sure if CC or DF have the ZIP option. Maybe this helps

Thanks

Jay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have access to it, try using dreamweaver.  It comes with pre-fabricated templates and you can always create your own to expedite the process for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Email templates need to be very simple, table based layouts to work consistently in email clients which don't always support HTML, CSS or JavaScript.  Outlook is one of the worst culprits.

My advice is to find an industry tested email template from Constant Contact or Mail Chimp that you can work with in a modern code editor like BlueGriffon, Pinegrow or even Dreamweaver.   You're not building a web page.  Email is an entirely different beast.   All assets -- images, scripts, etc... will need to be hosted on your server with absolute links.  For example, https:/yourdomain . com / images / image1.jpg.

Keep in mind also that email is primarily a text based form of communication.  Many email clients reject images for security reasons.   So don't rely too heavily on them to get your message out.  Text is more reliable.  See link below for more details on HTML Emails.

HTML E-Mail & Newsletter Blasts - https://alt-web.com/

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2019 Jun 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anything in the Adobe suite that can help build email? DW if way too complex.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2019 Jun 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

suzmemphis  wrote

DW if way too complex.

Not true.   DW has  e-mail templates already  built-in.   Go to File > New > Starter Templates.  Pick one and hit the Create button.  See screenshot.

Save As email.html and then swap out the placeholder images & text with your own.  It doesn't get any simpler than that  .

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines