• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What essential aspects to review before the publication of the Web site?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello people:
I have a website in development:
https://unahistoriadeafrica.businesscatalyst.com/index.html
Now I want to publish it and I need good advice to avoid bigger mistakes.
I am aware that content and design, color or typography do not have to please everyone.
But I need more "technical" advice about formats or elements that may cause problems.
I will appreciate and read carefully any suggestions.

A greeting.

Pepe García Luengo.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Frankly spoken: Do you really want the visitors of your site to read it? Personally, I am not able to read especially the capitalized headlines and menus, and instantly lose interest. I — just as the visitors of your site — want to get informations, not to play guessing games.

And: Your site is (a) much to wide and (b) shifting horizontally on mobile devices. Please read this document to fix this issue: https://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-8953

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pepe,

I know you don't want feedback on colour and type but will make some short comments on this.

First, it looks like an interesting subject and the navigation is clear and easy to use.

I'd say the colours are too strong to have across the whole page. Use strong colours to lift parts of your page but have areas of relief.

With text that is information, don't have it all in bold and don't have drop-shadows. It is not reader friendly.

With pages like the one below, the semi-transparent white box needs to be even less transparent. It's hard to read text when there is a lot going on behind it in terms of texture and variations of  dark to light.

CINCO TEMAS

I see you have not made the site responsive (scale to the browser size). This does mean it won't work well on small screens or even if you have a large screen but the browser ins not full screen.

Am happy to talk more if there is a specific part you'd like feedback on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dean:

Thanks for your answer.
Everything you indicate seems important, but I am very concerned about the responsive site.

Do you think it is possible to reform the site to make it responsive?
Any indication will be very helpful.
A greeting and thanks again.
Pepe García Luengo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pepe,

If you want to take on board all the feedback from others here, quite substantial design changes would be required. While doing this, you could consider the way it would work as a responsive site.

See the link below that has good information on responsive design including tutorials and other information:

Getting started with responsive design in Adobe Muse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dean:
It seems to me that the solution will be to apply the principles of responsive design to the mobile version of the website. But that will not be tomorrow.
Thank you very much for your help.
A greeting.
Pepe García Luengo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frankly spoken: Do you really want the visitors of your site to read it? Personally, I am not able to read especially the capitalized headlines and menus, and instantly lose interest. I — just as the visitors of your site — want to get informations, not to play guessing games.

And: Your site is (a) much to wide and (b) shifting horizontally on mobile devices. Please read this document to fix this issue: https://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-8953

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Günter:

Thank you.
I start studying the tutorial and putting it into practice.
A greeting and thanks again.
Pepe García Luengo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TECHNICAL:

I ran a Nibbler report -- see link below.  Overall site score is 4.5 out of 10.  Keep in mind that some results such as Popularity are skewed because it's a sub-domain on Business Catalyst.com.    That will change when you move to another server.

Website report for unahistoriadeafrica.businesscatalyst.com

DESIGN:

Visually, I sort of get what you're trying to do.  But the message is lost.  As an example, this page is hard to read because I don't know what is MOST important. 

Please read this article.

What Makes A Website Visually Appealing?

https://enablewebdesign.com/makes-website-visually-appealing/

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Nancy:
Thank you for your response, it is truly admirable for your seriousness and diligence.
I will read the results of the test carefully.

Pepe García Luengo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as a desktop site it sort of works but as is this design is unusable on phones

to add to what Günter posted there are main tech layout issues;

• don't put fluid text next to static text

Screenshot (1547).png

don't put buttons on the right hand side of the screen... and don't make them animations

Screenshot (1548).png

Screenshot (1549).png

test your design

Screenshot (1550).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ussnorway:
Thanks for your response and your graphics.
Unfortunately, I knew the inefficiency of the website on mobile phones.
It does not seem easy to fix this. The only solution I can think of is to work on a version for these devices.

Pepe García Luengo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yes an alt phone layout is what I would do with this design as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines