• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the best method to update a website with Muse

Contributor ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am relatively new to Muse and to be honest, are finding it to be problematic and unpredictable. Maybe this is unfamiliarity and will pass with use and time.

My latest issue is that when I update revised pages to a web server, often the webpage that is on the server will look different or have corrupted formatting from what I can see in the preview of Muse or, even looking at the local .html file on my hard disk. This is very frustrating, I have tried uploading just the single revised .html page to the server, i have tried uploading all the revised muse generated files after doing an export from muse. Both of which methods are inconsistent in working correctly. I have updated the AppPrefs.xml file to true. About the only thing that seems to work is if i delete all the website files from the server (including unchanged pages) and upload all the files afresh. Again this is a very unsatisfactory way of doing things and  suggest to me that Muse should still be in beta release.

Insights welcome.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Everyone, I have managed to answer my own question.

What I had discoved is that one page had "System Fonts" hidden in the page and, by their inclusion, the whole page becamer rasterised as an image. hence its ability to resize. the other page only had ariel font and therefore was not being rasterized. Now that I understand what is happening, i can now get both apage to behave alike. It is not ideal and has some limitations, i.e cannot include hyperlinks. But at least now I know what was happening

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There´s no way to change single pages html. If you export to html and upload it via cyberduck or filezilla or similar you always upüload the whole site.

Much better and easier if you make changes to only one page or one item, use Muses Publish to FTP.

This way you can choose between publish the whole site or only changes.

Best Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Fotoroeder,

I have switched to using the upload to ftp option in Muse, rather than the publish the HTML files to a folder and then only upload changed files with another FTP client (Transmission(. The upload to FTP option from within Muse appears to be doing the job ok. Thanks for this advice, maybe Muse should come with better warnings about what not to do.

I am also grateful about your advice that one of my pages was loading as a complete frame and was therefore able to resize the images within the text wrap whereas the other page was not. However I still don't have an answer as to the settings in Muse for why these two pages are different. Ideally, I would like to get the second page to also dynamicaly resize images on different browser window sizes. These two pages were created around the same time with the same master page and when I look them in Muse, i cannot see any differences apart from that on the page that does resize, two out of the three images have a text box caption attached via grouping the image with the text caption. But even then the image without a caption, still dynamically resizes whereas on the other page, no images resize.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As always: Give us a small .muse file to investigate the issue. Use Dropbox, CC Files or a similar file sharing service to do this and post the link here. I am quite sure, that we are dealing with a user error in this case.

And, even if you don’t want to here it. Images are resizing, when placed inline into text frames. You simply have to use a slide show for that. You already know this, and I have no idea, why you are repeating this „image issue" again and again. Especially, because you demonstrate in this thread, that you have no real experience in creating responsive websites: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2454895

Following your last threads in this forum, I’d suggest, to be not so fast in calling Muse a „beta release“. Do you really think, the sample sites, you find here: https://musewidgets.com/collections/site-of-the-day can be created with a „beta“ release? Is it completely unthinkable, that the reason for these kind of problems isn’t Muse, but something (somebody) else?

I’d suggest, to have a close look to the tutorials here: https://helpx.adobe.com/en/muse/tutorials.html​ and/or the jam sessions here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dani+beaumont

I really hope, you don’t get me wrong. I only want to make clear, that it is really annoying for us „helpers“ in this forum, when Muse is blamed for each and every issue, which in fact is caused by lack of knowledge and experience, when applying this application. Responsive web design is not pinning photos and slips of paper onto a pin board. Web design  is not print design as well, because each element influences each other element dynamically. This needs a certain degree on understanding and learning, because it is much more complex – and more challenging for an application –  than static print design ever can be.

Having said that: Please give us the .muse file, I asked for in my first sentence, and let us see, what we can do. I bet, we find the reason for the „wrong behaviour“ you are describing. Peace!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gunter,

Thank you for responding again. I agree that this problem is pobably caused by my lack of knowledge, but frankly some of the responses have been less than helpful. I have heard what you have said repeatedly about using slideshows and about how inline images do not resize. However i asked several times why one page was behaving in a certain way and another page was not and I put links to these pages.  Ankush at least correctly identified the problem as one of the pages was uploading as whole image, what I have been trying to work since is why this page (novel.html) uploads as a whole image and the other page ( backstory.html) is different.  In muse, they appear near identical in structure and are based on a common master template.

The reason I have been going on and on about this is that no one has actually answered my question, instead I have just had repeated to me what has been said  before about evertyhing that is not allowed rather than actually answering the question.

As for Muse being beta material, as a product designed for people who need not know any coding, I think it still has some issues to work through.

Below is a Drop Box link containing the muse file

Dropbox - Greg_hansen.muse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone, I have managed to answer my own question.

What I had discoved is that one page had "System Fonts" hidden in the page and, by their inclusion, the whole page becamer rasterised as an image. hence its ability to resize. the other page only had ariel font and therefore was not being rasterized. Now that I understand what is happening, i can now get both apage to behave alike. It is not ideal and has some limitations, i.e cannot include hyperlinks. But at least now I know what was happening and why.

Thanks to all, please consider this case closed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also remember that this "systemfont"/"Image" issue was mentioned always, wasn`t it? It was told to be an image which you denied, right?

Well done finally, if you "found" the solution .

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

nermie  schrieb

What I had discoved is that one page had "System Fonts" hidden in the page and, by their inclusion, the whole page becamer rasterised as an image.

1. Not one, but every single page contains system fonts! Sometimes it is only a blank, but that is enough to force the text container to be converted to an image!  I think, you are able to find these fonts by yourself. It’s not that difficult finally. If you read the link, I already gave you https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2357163​, you certainly understand this.
  2. Using system font, not „the whole page became rasterised“ as you write, but only the text frames, which contain the system font. Converting a “whole page“ to an image, is not possible with Muse, because this is (a) baddest possible web design and (b) achievable by simply making a screenshot. But we told you already here (post #15): https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2454895
  3. On your „home“ page is placed an image, which exceeds by far the page/breakpoint width. This can’t work correctly in browsers; the page will shift horizontally. But I already described this behaviour in your thread: How do I position and anchor a background image
  4. Placing a proportionally scaling element (as it is possible by using a one-image-slideshow) together with an element, which only scales horizontally (your caption text boxes under some images) as a group isn’t possible. This is no Muse issue, but a HTML restriction. Web design is not print design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines