• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What's the easiest way (if possible) to use OpenType Fonts in Muse?

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2017 Dec 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

So I'm completely new to web design and I'm still learning a lot every day. Is it even possible to use opentype fonts in Muse? I found some .otf that I really would like to use but can't figure out how to bring them in. Under adding new web-fonts, it looks like it only specifies 3 font formats under the "self hosted" tab. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 03, 2017 Dec 03, 2017

The problem is not Muse, the problem is the fact, that nobody can guarantee, that your fonts are installed on the machines/devices of your site‘s visitors. Therefore you have to use standard fonts of web fonts. The standard fonts are supposed to be installed on every computer or device out there. Web fonts are temporarily uploaded to your visitor‘s browsers and follow different rules as simple TrueType or OpenTypes. Web fonts need a special set of different font files (ttf, woff, eot, svg). If y

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should have a look at "typekit" or/and "WebEdgeFonts" which you find, using the muse - add web fonts feature.

This is easy to find as soon as you use the text tool.

If you do not find the font you like there, you should get/purchase the desired font with all the WOFF-EOG-SVG that is needed.

Most oft are just system fonts and using them makes the fonts behave like an image instead of text.

There´s a way to use google fonts, unfortunately only with some 3rd party widgets and not all fonts work with it as intended.

Best Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is there no way to convert an .oft to a format that Muse can use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately no.

You can use it if you use it as an graphic element. It will be handled as an image – this relates to behaviour with resizing.

Text resizes its text box but it doesn`t resize the font itself, images resize in width and height (in case you set it like this).

Text, appearing as an image has no or even bad results for SEO.

Best Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is not Muse, the problem is the fact, that nobody can guarantee, that your fonts are installed on the machines/devices of your site‘s visitors. Therefore you have to use standard fonts of web fonts. The standard fonts are supposed to be installed on every computer or device out there. Web fonts are temporarily uploaded to your visitor‘s browsers and follow different rules as simple TrueType or OpenTypes. Web fonts need a special set of different font files (ttf, woff, eot, svg). If you don‘t have these files, you are not able to use these fonts in the web. The simplest way of using web fonts on your site is using Typkit or Edge fonts, which are directly accessible via Muse‘s font menu. Otherwise (if you have the necessary font file set) you may use self hosted webfonts, which you can install with Muse‘s font menu too.

For further informations look here: https://helpx.adobe.com/muse/using/typekit-web-fonts.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I'm just confused because the fonts I got were from this muse-themes.com article. Sort of a bummer, but thanks for the explainations!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What makes you think, that these fonts are web fonts? They aren‘t described as such.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because when I download them they are in .otf format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But OTF font are not web fonts. It is standard Open Type format. Did you bave a look at my link above?

If you re-read the MuseThemes page, where you can download the fonts, you will see, that these fonts are not labeled as web fonts — although I have to admit, that one may expect this, because MuseThemes normally works exclusively in a “web based“ context.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible to convert .ttf and .otf fonts to web fonts. There are issues, however. Sometimes the conversion corrupts the font causing loading and display problems. You also need to check that your font licence covers web use.

One online resource is FontSquirrel.

Create Your Own @font-face Kits » Font Squirrel

David

Creative Muse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI David Asch​,

so this might be very useful for all these google fonts, wouldn`t it? The license then shouldn`t be a problem at all, I guess.

Thanks in advance,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Technically, yes. Also those from FontSquirrel and dafont.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines